Suppose there is going to be a Half Life movie?

Tools    

There have been super low budget youtube armature videos regarding this idea. I for one would love to see a half life trilogy. Do you think this is a great idea or what!?!?!
If you are not familiar with Half Life please go to Youtube or look around on the Half Life Wiki. Its SciFi at its finest! Its a first person shooter game that has been around for almost 20 years. I hope to one day see this movie made because i think if done right it would be one of the greatest SciFi Horror movies of all time!

Shouldn't they get to making Half-Life 3 first? It's only been 10 years.

And while I loved Half-Life 2 and think the story was great, I'm not big on movie adaptions of video games in general since most of them turn out to be stinkers.

Shouldn't they get to making Half-Life 3 first? It's only been 10 years.

And while I loved Half-Life 2 and think the story was great, I'm not big on movie adaptions of video games in general since most of them turn out to be stinkers.
I think seeing as HL2 was such a break through on graphics in videos games i am thinking that they want to repeat that again and making a new standard with graphics and that's whats taking so long. I believe some video games that have been made into movies turned out alright.

To me, this is more of a general movie discussion. The movie question section is more so for people who can't remember the title of a film they are wanting to watch again.

Welcome to the human race...
The main problem I could see with a Half-Life movie is that one of the game's defining features was how its immersed players by taking place entirely from the perspective of the protagonist, who also happened to be completely silent for the whole game. Remember when they made a movie of Doom (another series that was famous for taking place from the perspective of a mute protagonist) and tried to give its main hero some personality? Even then, he was overshadowed by Dwayne Johnson as his squad's leader (which leads to the question of why it had to involve a squad in the first place...) The reason so many game-to-movie adaptations don't work is that they tend to compromise just what was so distinctive and loveable about the game for the sake of making a generic action movie (if not some off-the-wall grimdark nonsense like Super Mario Bros.), hence my apprehension about whether or not they should even try to make Half-Life into a movie.

The main problem I could see with a Half-Life movie is that one of the game's defining features was how its immersed players by taking place entirely from the perspective of the protagonist, who also happened to be completely silent for the whole game. Remember when they made a movie of Doom (another series that was famous for taking place from the perspective of a mute protagonist) and tried to give its main hero some personality? Even then, he was overshadowed by Dwayne Johnson as his squad's leader (which leads to the question of why it had to involve a squad in the first place...) The reason so many game-to-movie adaptations don't work is that they tend to compromise just what was so distinctive and loveable about the game for the sake of making a generic action movie (if not some off-the-wall grimdark nonsense like Super Mario Bros.), hence my apprehension about whether or not they should even try to make Half-Life into a movie.
Interesting idea - what if a movie was made taking place entirely from a silent protagonist's 1st person perspective?

Kind of like a "Blair Witch project" type of thing.

Thing is that would probably be too unconventional to ever fly in a video game movie, since movie adaptions tend to be cash-grabs and stick to tired and true formats.

Interesting idea - what if a movie was made taking place entirely from a silent protagonist's 1st person perspective?

Kind of like a "Blair Witch project" type of thing.

Thing is that would probably be too unconventional to ever fly in a video game movie, since movie adaptions tend to be cash-grabs and stick to tired and true formats.
That'd probably end up feeling the same as watching someone else play a videogame for two hours straight.

I never watched Doom nor have i played the games. There is always a first time for everything hence making a video game movie be good for once. Hell someone is making a world of warcraft movie ffs! Half Life would work i believe if the story of the movie was in the same universe but unrelated to Gordon Freeman or any of the Characters of the video game. Maybe make Barney the main guy instead of Dr Freeman. Maybe have Doctor Freeman do a cameo or something. I think with the right script it would work out great!

I'm just not aware of any video game movies which have received good critical reception.

The WoW idea sounds better to me, since as far I know that game doesn't center on the characters, just the WoW universe. On the other hand with Half-Life you'd end up with the problem of Freeman having been a silent protagonist in the games like Iroquois said.

I'm just not aware of any video game movies which have received good critical reception.

The WoW idea sounds better to me, since as far I know that game doesn't center on the characters, just the WoW universe. On the other hand with Half-Life you'd end up with the problem of Freeman having been a silent protagonist in the games like Iroquois said.
Thats why im thinking that Freeman would not be the main guy in it. Maybe Eli or some other scientist that was at Black Mesa when the incident happened. Barney was there also!

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
I think freeman being silent worked well for the games. He doesn't have to be completely silent, most of the way through HL1(where they should start btw) he is by himself and wouldn't have much dialogue anyway, he would be escaping the catastrophic events of the resonance cascade.

I have always thought that HL and HL2 would make great movies, i've been playing them since i was a kid and still do (playing Black Mesa right now, it's a very well done mod)

I think we will have to wait and see how movie adaptations of games fair out, (Warcraft, Assassin's Creed) to see if an HL movie could even be an idea, because in the past most of all videogame movie adaptations have consistently bombed.

Here is a little tidbit. Half-Life was very loosley based off of Stephen King's The Mist, The game it's self or maybe the name of the 'test operation' was suppose to be called Project Arrowhead (the name of the project in the Mist).

Their assumption was that Jerry was already dead when I arrived, and I just nodded my head. What else could I tell them? "He had to do it, Officer, or else he would’ve turned into a worm-monster and been very unhappy."

I think freeman being silent worked well for the games. He doesn't have to be completely silent, most of the way through HL1(where they should start btw) he is by himself and wouldn't have much dialogue anyway, he would be escaping the catastrophic events of the resonance cascade.
Yeah, that's why I brought up the Doom movie as an example of how a film would try to adapt a game featuring a mute protagonist by not only giving them dialogue but also adding in extra characters for them to talk to during the game (if not in person, then over a communication channel of some sort). Or they could go all Freeman's Mind and have him constantly saying his inner monologue out loud.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Or they could go all Freeman's Mind and have him constantly saying his inner monologue out loud.
That's kinda what I was thinking, i like that idea a lot, as long as it isn't filled with hardly witty one-liners. That would put it in line with a generic action movie a la lockout.

Valve have been promising Half Life 3 for years. To just sell the rights to make money, while fans have been waiting for a new game for ages, would not be a wise move.

Here is a little tidbit. Half-Life was very loosley based off of Stephen King's The Mist, The game it's self or maybe the name of the 'test operation' was suppose to be called Project Arrowhead (the name of the project in the Mist).
I had no idea thanks for that factiod!

If you can link the trailer for the mist. I dont have permission yet!

That's kinda what I was thinking, i like that idea a lot, as long as it isn't filled with hardly witty one-liners. That would put it in line with a generic action movie a la lockout.
Don't take my suggestion too seriously, because Freeman's Mind played the "talking out loud/inner monologue" technique for extremely comical effect by making Gordon into an extremely obnoxious weirdo who has no interest in being a hero and has no idea what he's doing most of the time. It wouldn't exactly translate to a straight-faced version of the movie. Just look:

As requested, here's the trailer for The Mist:

To me, this is more of a general movie discussion.