How to contact an actor directly.

Tools    

Violence is purely aesthetic.
Like many of you, I, too, want to become a movie director. I have a few ideas of the movies that I'd like to do (I even wrote the full scripts) and I just recently watched Super 8, and I think that Elle Fanning would be the best actress for one of the characters in my first movie. But I'll probably do it ten years from now. I did some research on her filmography, and she keeps getting better and better roles. So in a decade, she will be the next Angelina Jolie or something, and it'll be tough to have her in my first movie (that will probably be independent). Her agents probably wouldn't even show it to her. But what if I gave her the script directly? I don't know how to do that though.
So I ask you, wise movie lovers, anyone of you ever tried something like this? Is it possible? Thanks for answering.

I think you're putting the cart way before the horse.. you're worried about contacting her 10 years from now?
It doesn't have to be her, but any actor. It's just pure curiosity.

You have to contact their agent or their manager.
yeah it's either this or you have to do some weird stalkish stuff to get in the right place at the right time. Better off with a fantastic script that will impress her manager or agent.

It's great you're not too set on her specifically, if you write a film that MUST have a specific actor and they are not initially on board you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

yeah it's either this or you have to do some weird stalkish stuff to get in the right place at the right time. Better off with a fantastic script that will impress her manager or agent.

It's great you're not too set on her specifically, if you write a film that MUST have a specific actor and they are not initially on board you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Well, I read somewhere that agents don't even read the scripts that are sent to them if you're not a prestigious director. Don't know if its true though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, I read somewhere that agents don't even read the scripts that are sent to them if you're not a prestigious director. Don't know if its true though.
Well lets put that to a simple test, shall we.
Imagine you are an agent that gets 10% of your clients salary.

A nobody director sends in a script and offers 10 million dollars for her to play the part. Do you throw your million dollar payday in the trash or open the script and read a few pages?

With these things you have to use the proper channels, I'm not sure how much you know about the business 'behind the scenes'. If you write/direct you should find an agent to represent you and that will make your life easier. The film business is all about connections.
Do you have any experience? Also you must be sure that you follow the specific format and conventions for scripts, otherwise you'll look like an amateur.
If you get backing for a script let's say, and you find a financier or a studio that's interested, only then you can start thinking of getting actors.

Well lets put that to a simple test, shall we.
Imagine you are an agent that gets 10% of your clients salary.

A nobody director sends in a script and offers 10 million dollars for her to play the part. Do you throw your million dollar payday in the trash or open the script and read a few pages?
Makes sense.

With these things you have to use the proper channels, I'm not sure how much you know about the business 'behind the scenes'. If you write/direct you should find an agent to represent you and that will make your life easier. The film business is all about connections.
Do you have any experience? Also you must be sure that you follow the specific format and conventions for scripts, otherwise you'll look like an amateur.
If you get backing for a script let's say, and you find a financier or a studio that's interested, only then you can start thinking of getting actors.
All my experience are Cybershot homemade "movies". When you say "script conventions" do you mean the scene heading, dialogue, transition and stuff? Because I know these.

All my experience are Cybershot homemade "movies". When you say "script conventions" do you mean the scene heading, dialogue, transition and stuff? Because I know these.
I mean 1 minute/page, using active voice, present tense, etc. I don't know all the rules as I didn't study script writing, but I know there are specific rules.

Home made movies recording real life, documentary style ?
Or scripted and performed narratives.
Well, it has a script and actors. But is just for fun, nothing too serious.

I mean 1 minute/page, using active voice, present tense, etc. I don't know all the rules as I didn't study script writing, but I know there are specific rules.
I think I know most of them. I read a lot of scripts.

You have to contact their agent or their manager.
Or you can be their friend on Facebook. Certain actors and actresses have their own Facebook pages . I'm friends with a couple of actors from Back to the Future... Claudia Wells and Crispin Glover. Yes, their actual Facebook pages. Not fan pages.

I've been a loyal member of the official BTTF fan club for over 20 years and the founder of the club knows the cast of all 3 films and crew as if they are his best friends. As a friend of him (Stephen Clark) for 20 plus years I have became friends with Wells and Glover on Facebook. Unfortunately not many others from BTTF have FB pages. lol

But I do get good info from Clark

Or you can be their friend on Facebook. Certain actors and actresses have their own Facebook pages . I'm friends with a couple of actors from Back to the Future... Claudia Wells and Crispin Glover. Yes, their actual Facebook pages. Not fan pages.

I've been a loyal member of the official BTTF fan club for over 20 years and the founder of the club knows the cast of all 3 films and crew as if they are his best friends. As a friend of him (Stephen Clark) for 20 plus years I have became friends with Wells and Glover on Facebook. Unfortunately not many others from BTTF have FB pages. lol

lol Im friends with James Franco on Facebook... I like him in certain films... but not every film...

lol Im friends with James Franco on Facebook... I like him in certain films... but not every film...
Unless James Franco has a really private FB page, he doesn't have one. Only a fan page where you 'like' it.

lol That's cool.

Sam Neill from Jurassic Park and Joel Courtney from Super 8(ironic no?) follow me on Twitter. (Although they pretty much follow everybody back) Plus Super 8 was filmed in the town right next to mine, I probably could tried to get on set I would of killed to meet Steven Spielberg or JJ Abrams.