Robin Williams RIP

Tools    

Back when Robin was working on Mrs. Doubtfire, I coached him on how to act like a lady since he was performing as a woman in that movie. We hung out for several weeks and spent many hours on the phone together, chitchatting about the female lifestyle. I was the inspiration for his Mrs. Doubtfire character -- which kind of actually upset me once I finally saw the finished film.

Anyway, we saw less and less of each other through the years. Last time I think was in 2010. It was a good time, though. We ate at Popeye's. Which is funny because he was Popeye in the movie Popeye.

R.I.P. Robin! Love you! You weren't a macho sh!thead at all.

If you're not Dustin Hoffman, then you probably have a psychological issue. But, nonetheless, thank you for the laugh, Ms. Michaels

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Back when Robin was working on Mrs. Doubtfire, I coached him on how to act like a lady since he was performing as a woman in that movie. We hung out for several weeks and spent many hours on the phone together, chitchatting about the female lifestyle. I was the inspiration for his Mrs. Doubtfire character -- which kind of actually upset me once I finally saw the finished film.

Anyway, we saw less and less of each other through the years. Last time I think was in 2010. It was a good time, though. We ate at Popeye's. Which is funny because he was Popeye in the movie Popeye.

R.I.P. Robin! Love you! You weren't a macho sh!thead at all.
Cinemaafficianado?

I like it when his daughter quoted some lines from Saint-exupery's book for his father. Quite touching. Anyways, RIP Robin.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Not many famous peoples deaths affect me, but this really did. Such sad news, R.I.P Sir.

I was watching something on Hulu this morning and when I signed onto the site, there was a picture of him in the bottom right hand corner and it said "Robin Williams, RIP" so I came here to confirm that it's true. I can't believe it. Personally, I have never understood why anyone would take their own life, and I really don't understand why someone who is rich and talented and has everything in the world they could possible wish for would take their own life. Why would Robin Williams commit suicide? This guy had to be wrestling with some real demons that we weren't aware of...so sad, a supremely gifted comedian and one of the industry's most underrated dramatic actors. I'm in shock. If it's true, RIP, Mr. Williams, you've earned it.

Saw this last night because I follow him on Twitter and Facebook (he's rather brilliantly funny), and now it is making the rounds. From comedian Paul F. Tompkins. Even though he wasn't a co-star or friend, in fact he had only met Williams once, it speaks eloquently from a fan and inspired peer's perspective...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the first comedy albums I was ever given was "Reality... What A Concept." I loved it. I loved "Mork & Mindy." I even loved Robert Altman’s "Popeye." Robin Williams meant a lot to me when I was a kid. I knew nothing of drug use or depression. It never occurred to me that comedians, these magical creatures that I worshiped, ever felt anything other than the serene satisfaction derived from making people laugh.

Eventually, I started doing standup myself, and I very quickly learned that comedians were all too human. There is no less sadness in the comedy community than there is in any other workforce; that is to say, jobs are jobs and people are people and no occupation makes anyone depression-proof. This both comforts and frustrates me.

Robin Williams made me laugh so many times. So many times. When I was a kid, having problems of my own, feeling unpleasantly different from the people who populated my world, I found sanctuary watching this guy on TV who was celebrated for being a weirdo, for being an oddball, for being silly. He was praised for having a mind that produced delightful absurdities with great speed. No one told him to be quiet. No one tried to make him act like everyone else.

He was a hero to me.

I had occasion to meet him once, not too long ago, and he could not have been nicer or friendlier or calmer. He was just there to watch the show that was happening that night. He wasn't trying to get on stage; he just -- still -- loved comedy.

I didn't tell him any of the things I just wrote here. No doubt, he heard similar things from countless people over his decades-long career. And it's a colossal shame that being a meaningful presence in the lives of many people, family, friends and strangers alike, isn't an impenetrable bulwark against despair. It's profoundly unfair that, if he couldn't live forever, he couldn't at least feel able to keep going for his allotted time. I know something of depression, and how bottomless and relentless and insurmountable it feels, but I have never known the unfathomable despair that Robin Williams must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine it.

Robin Williams will live on in shadows and light and sound, at least. He will continue to comfort weird little kids (and odd adults, for that matter) with his performances, those who know his work today and those who have yet to be born, who may experience him ten, fifty, a hundred years from now. But this is cold comfort indeed.

There will be much celebration, in the coming weeks and months, of Robin Williams’ life and career. But perhaps the best tribute to him would be if we all reached out to the troubled people in our lives and let them know that we are here for them. Because Robin Williams was there for us.

http://fusion.net/culture/story/hero-paul-tompkins-robin-williams-meant-938627

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tompkins.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	16638   Click image for larger version

Name:	robbed.png
Views:	831
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	16639  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

editing this post bc now i think it's weird

basically i just think it's strange that we only seem to celebrate a person to this degree once they've passed on. not that i think there's anything wrong with doing so
Haven't we done that for most of his career, though. Everyone will do it at the same time now, but we've all celebrated him many, many times, I'm sure, over the years.
If he hung himself, reports would say he did.
No, they wouldn't. They'll report what they're told and, as Austruck said, asphyxia covers a lot of bases.
I don't know if they would. Saying it's asphyxiation gives the cause of suicide while also being sort of quiet, sort of vague, sort of good manners about it.
This is exactly why I only put what'd been reported. When I hear asphyxia, I immediately think three common ways of suicide, but I didn't want (and still don't) want to mention them in that post because there's no need to put those images or thoughts in peoples minds. If you want to, or can't help but like me, that's fine. But I didn't want to put it there.

I don't know how many of you listen to Marc Maron's WTF podcast (I love it), but he reposted his excellent interview with Robin Williams (from 2010), today, and recorded a new introduction...

----------------------------------------------------------------

How are you, folks? I just made myself a cup of coffee. And as most of you know, Robin Williams is dead…from an apparent suicide. And I wanted to repost this episode because this episode it…it changed my life. And it changed many people’s perception of Robin Williams. I want to tell you right out of the gate that it’s delicate in that he does discuss his battle with drugs and alcohol. He does talk about his depression. He talks about his heart attack. He talks about his career. And he talks about a lot of things. He talks about it in a way that most people have never heard him talk about anything—I certainly haven’t.

Depression is real. I don’t have any details. I don’t know what happened. I can’t make a comment. I was never in his inner circle. But I do feel the loss and I do know what depression is and I do know from talking to him personally that this was something he struggled with and having talked to many comedians and many artists is something a lot of people struggle with. Having a father that struggles with it, it’s a horrible thing.

But we have to remember that Robin Williams is really one of the greatest comedians, ever, ever, ever in the history of the world as far as I know it. Because he had all the things that were necessary to be a great comedic artist. He was sensitive, he was perceptive, he was empathetic. His mental agility was astounding. He was full of love. And he, by nature of putting all those out into the world, required that of us. And we felt it. And there was a humanity to Robin Williams. Robin Williams changed everything. There’s nobody that wasn’t touched by Robin Williams. He was the king. The spirit of pure comedy ran through this guy. He was unto himself. There was nobody else like this guy. Nobody else like him ever. And as a comic, despite what any other comics say and whatever your judgment of him as a comedian, he did it all. He did everything that all of us wanted to do and he did it brilliantly. There’s never been a comedic artist like this guy. And there’s no more painful realization than the other side of whatever comic genius is, is sometimes this. That with that sensitivity, with that perception, with that empathy, with that love, with that mental agility comes a heart too heavy to live, a heart that becomes so heavy that it chooses not to go on, for whatever reason. I don’t know his reasons. It’s horribly sad, and it’s a horrible illness—depression.

But on a personal level, when Robin Williams invited me to his home in 2010, that conversation is what defined the show from that point on, and what defined my life in a lot of ways. I had known him a little bit in passing and he was always—it was amazing about Robin Williams. He was this sort of electric, shining piece of humanity whose entire life on stage was to entertain thoroughly and with a type of presence that nobody has ever seen before. There’s nobody who wasn’t touched by it. And when you met him personally, he was almost shy. And he was very warm and very…you just felt like he really cared about how you were doing, what was going on with you. He was very sweet. But he was ready to talk. It seemed to be he was ready to talk for almost the first time in his life in a way that he never talked publicly before and I was happy to be there for it. I learned something. I learned something about him. I learned something about being there for other people. To sit there with this guy, this guy who was—his own momentum—to sit there with a guy who was known to not sit still, who was known to sort of depart on riffs that almost essentially enabled him to avoid himself in a lot of ways and to have him be as present as he was, it wasn’t daunting at all. It was an honor. It was my pleasure. And it was completely surprising and just full of humility and just…he was a person. With his own problems. That he carried with him. And I think part of his genius came from the struggle with those problems, obviously. And he was too young. It’s so sad.

The world is gonna miss Robin Williams. The world is going to feel his absence, certainly right now, but moving forward as well. You’ll see. Just like how he stuck with you whenever he hit your brain and built a home in it you could always go back to, this loss will do the same thing. It’s a very sad day, but I’m happy I have the conversation to share with you. This is my talk with Robin Williams from April 2010.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can listen to the whole interview for free @ www.wtfpod.com

Attachments

Name:	WTF.png
Views:	898
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	16640  

Just watched a video tribute with his speech from Jack dubbed over the top...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...657226&fref=nf

"Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did"

Haven't we done that for most of his career, though. Everyone will do it at the same time now, but we've all celebrated him many, many times, I'm sure, over the years.
Absolutely right, I think. He has been celebrated continuously by fans in their own ways. Check out his Reddit AMA from a year ago and all the personal stories about what his work has meant to people. In fact, it's worth taking a look at regardless, lots of laughs and some great anecdotes.

Unregistered Illegal User
May he Rest In Peace. He is going to be missed. Comedy has lost one of its legends.
I have always loved Robin Williams and despite all the great characters he's played my personal favourite has to be playing the voice of Genie in Disney's Aladdin. I grew up loving the character. Thank you Sir for all the happy memories you've given me.

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

I also thought he was brilliant in The World According To Garp, definitely one of his most underrated performances that would have gotten him an Oscar nomination if it had been released another year.

Last night the first things I reached for and spun in the DVD player were Kenneth Branagh's Dead Again, the episode of "Homicide: Life on the Street" he guest starred on ("Bop Gun", season two, episode one), and The World According to Garp. I had just happened to have rewatched both Gilliam's The Fisher King and the recently deceased Paul Mazursky's Moscow on the Hudson within the last few weeks.

As gifted and innovative a comedian as he was, as an actor he truly excelled in roles that were at least tinged by if not completely encased in sadness and pain, which clearly must have been a deep part of his actual soul.

"You know, everybody dies. My parents died. Your father died. Everybody dies. I'm going to die, too. So will you. The thing is, to have a life before we die. It can be a real adventure, having a life."
- Jenny Fields (Glenn Close), The World According to Garp

He didn't quite make it to sixty-four.

Attachments

Name:	marathon.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	16641  

I met him once. He was sweet, and just as kind as anyone says. I was recording at a studio where he was looping some ADR. I've been watching his Carson appearances all day on PlutoTV all day. They set up a channel for him. I'll miss you so much.

In the Beginning...
There used to be a Borders bookstore around the corner from where I work. I liked to walk over there and kill some time looking through books or DVDs when I was bored or needed a break. One day I decided to pop in and could tell instantly that something was abuzz in the store. I glanced at the register area and saw why: Robin Williams was there buying some books. He was in town on a comedy show tour and was bunking at the fancy hotel down the street.

The guy at the register was all smiles, as was everyone else standing in relative proximity. But Williams was very quiet, not speaking much, and trying his best to hide under dark sunglasses and a fedora. It was an odd encounter, and maybe a bit emblematic of the chasm between the "real" world and the showbiz world that wildly successful entertainers can't easily bridge. In that moment, he seemed awfully lonely to me.

Like a lot of folks here, I grew up on films like Hook, Aladdin, and Mrs. Doubtfire. I remember my parents watching episodes of "Mork & Mindy." I'll cherish his outrageously brilliant performances for a long, long time. But lamenting his death because of what more he might yet have given us feels... wrong. He was a seminal comedic talent and the light he shined for millions will be difficult to match. I just wish he could have found a way to keep some of that light for himself.

In all the recent coverage, I learned that his daughter Zelda (named for the video game series, of which both were fans) shares a birthday with me. That made me smile.

Asphyxiation merely means suffocation by any number of means (not specific), so it definitely could include hanging oneself.
If he hung himself, reports would say he did.
I don't know if they would.

As the world still mourns the loss of beloved actor Robin Williams, the Marin County Sheriff's Office held a press conference today, where it was confirmed that the actor died from hanging himself.

Lieutenant Keith Boyd made the announcement today in San Rafael, California, confirming that the late actor was found with a belt around his neck that was wedged between a closet door and the door frame. He was found by his personal assistant, who gained access to his bedroom when he wouldn't respond to knocks on his door. When the assistant found him, he was already cold to the touch and rigor mortise had already set in.

Medical personnel also found "acute cuts" on the inside of his left wrist, and a pocket knife nearby which had a "dry red material" on it, but those cuts were not the cause of death, which was determined to be asphyxia. The actor had been receiving treatment for depression, but Keith Boyd would not elaborate further, citing the late actor's right to privacy.

The 911 call was made at 11:55 AM by a "distraught person" who indicated an apparent suicide by hanging. An emergency crew arrived at noon, and the actor was pronounced dead at 12:02 PM. He was last seen alive at 10:30 PM on Sunday evening, when his wife retired for the evening. It was unknown when the actor went to his bedroom, but his wife left the house at 10:30 AM yesterday morning, believing he was still asleep. There were no signs of struggle or altercation, but it was unknown if the actor had any chemicals or substances at the time of his death. A toxicology report will take between two and six weeks.

Source: Movieweb