The Last Boy Scout

→ in
Tools    

Thoughts?

Favorite quotes?

Films like it?

Anarchist within reason
One of my favourite films!!! Really good onscreen partnership with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayons.

"Touch me again I'll kill ya!"
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

I thought the chemistry was amazing too.
My favorite quote would have to be:
"The sky is blue, water is wet, and Satan Clause is out there".

Anarchist within reason
"Its the nineties now ya gotta have a catchphrase like you hit some guy with a surf board you say 'Surf's up!'"

I think thats how it goes, I've not seen the film in a while.

Yeah, Bruce Willis delivers lines like a god. He's becoming a favorite actor. I really enjoyed the Die Hard movies, but honestly outside of that I don't know him from anything else.

The Last Boy Scout got pretty roundly ripped by critics at the time and did decent business but was not a huge box office hit. Looking back now, it is probably a bit better than that. Flawed, to be sure, but for a slam-bang action flick with comic moments given a post-modern acknowledgment of the genre clichés by one of the screenwriters responsible for creating them in the late '80s (namely Shane Black, who penned the original Lethal Weapon) and starring one of the biggest stars to come out of those types of flicks (namely Bruce Willis) it delivers, more or less. Not quite as sharp or smart as it might have been, and ultimately collapses under the weight of the silliness it sets out to deconstruct.

A subsequent Shane Black script with similar aims, The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) starring Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson, also is decent and watchable but falls short of being any kind of revelatory comment on the action movie and instead just a minor if enjoyable entry at the very tail end of the cycle that began with the likes of Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

A far, far, far more successful attempt to have fun with this comedy/action milieu came from Shane Black as writer AND director with 2005's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang starring Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan, loosely adapted from a 1941 Michael Shayne novel by Brett Halliday called Bodies Are Where You Find Them. Where The Last Boy Scout and Long Kiss Goodnight struggle with tone and intent from scene to scene, Kiss Kiss is a fantastic blend of dark humor, smart writing, perfect casting and genre fudging. If for some reason you haven't gotten around to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, go remedy that immediately.

I think, anyway.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've always thought it was a lot better than the reviews it received. I like it, it's fun and I think it's one of those 90's films that's almost become a forgotten gem.

Yeah, Bruce Willis delivers lines like a god. He's becoming a favorite actor. I really enjoyed the Die Hard movies, but honestly outside of that I don't know him from anything else.

A couple other great Willis flicks on the action side of the aisle to check out include SIN CITY (2005) and 12 Monkeys (1995). And check out the first few seasons of "Moonlighting", the TV show that made him a star in the first place, which if you were too young to have grown up with is a detective show with plenty of humor, has a ball making fun of the genre and its supposed conventions, and is positively bursting with Bruce's personality.

I love, love, LOVE The Long Kiss Goodnight and while, I agree, it may not have been a ground breaker it may very well have helped to pave the way for many an action starring female to come afterwords.

Another very fun Willis flick is The Fifth Element.

Brought to us by an excellent French Director who has also given us movies such as The Professional and before that: La Femme Nikita. All three of those flicks are very much worth a watch if you've yet to see them.

Employee of the Month
Thoughts?

Favorite quotes?

Films like it?
Thoughts: Entertaining Buddy-Flick, slightly above average, many nice quotes, Bruce had made better movies

Favorite quotes: Like BUB24 says; Bruce at the end: "Its the nineties now ya gotta have a catchphrase like you hit some guy with a surf board you say 'Surf's up!'"

Films like it: Lethal Weapon 1-4, Beverly Hills Cop 1+2, 16 Blocks (like that flick very much), maybe Cop Out

La Femme Nikita, was that connect any way to the movie Point of No Return?
Yes, it was connect.

Badham's Point of No Return starring Bridget Fonda is a half-assed remake of the massively superior Luc Besson original La Femme Nikita. Other than a whole lotta nice Nina Simone cuts on the soundtrack, there's really nothing to recommend about the Americanized remake.

The Last Boy Scout has one hell of an opening. Pretty junky thereafter, but worth seeing for the touchdown alone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the lastboyscout.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	7671
Normally I don't go for movies like these because I am just not very big fan on a lot of violence. However, I wanted to see it because I am a huge Danielle Harris fan and knew she was in it so I thought I would see it was all about. Needless to say, I was very impressed with this film it has a great story, great characters and is actually quite tame by today's standards. The violence in it happens so quick that you don't even really see it. So I give this movie 5/5 stars.

A system of cells interlinked
Yep, I love that opening scene in The Last Boy Scout. If you are a football fan, it's even better.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang is the ****. I was super depressed when it hit DVD and I watched the film 5 times in two days. Brilliant stuff.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
What about Moonlighting?

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
"Nice suit, Grandpa. Where did you get it, Gangsta's-R-Us?"

One of the most enjoyable, mindless action movies of the '90's. There are only two other mindless '90's action films I'd rate above The Last Boy Scout. Just great stuff.