Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

The Conversation (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

I saw this film many years back, but recalled so very little other than feeling very positive towards it. Having rewatched it again tonight, I can safely and honestly say this is one of the great American films of the New Hollywood/American New Wave movement. Not only does it serve as a pensive social commentary on surveillance (which, frankly, feels more pertinent today than it did some forty years ago), but also summons as a ruminative character examination of isolation and morality in an ethically ambiguous profession. Besides Gene Hackman's towering performance, it is Coppola's adroit aesthetics that stands out the most. This film is told with a remarkable deal of restraint, telling its story with both composure and patience for its viewers and never advancing into an unvaried, ordinary thriller. It sustains its almost uncanny aesthetic touch throughout and seldom - if ever - loses focus, thanks in large part to its tightly written script. It is a technically adept crafted piece that also, might I add, spawns some of the greatest use of sound design I've ever heard in a film. The editing is also very impressive. After this much needed rewatch, I would say this is Coppola's greatest achievement as a filmmaker, and a piece that will probably earn a spot on my favourites list.

Unregistered User
Forgot to add these little gems, courtesy of Tacitus:-

The Firm - Easily beats any recent football hooligan films plus Gary Oldman superb as usual -

Elephant (1989) directed by Alan Clarke and produced by Danny Boyle, is a grim study of Northern Ireland during 'The Troubles'. Not going to rate this due to the content but it was very well done and realistic.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

. Fun,entertaining western with two charismatic,sympathetic leads.

Just finished watching "The Muppets" - actually quite enjoyed it. Made me laugh a few times and was an easy watch. Some of the songs were annoying and very cheesy but overall good.

7/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

Borgman (2013)- 7/10
Torn Curtain (1966) - 6/10
Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001) - 5/10
Le Samouraï (1967)- 8/10
Mad Max 2 (1981) - 7/10
Le Passé (2013) - 8/10
He Got Game (1998) - 7/10
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) - 8/10
Nebraska (2013) - 7/10

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Forgot to add these little gems, courtesy of Tacitus:-

The Firm - Easily beats any recent football hooligan films plus Gary Oldman superb as usual -

Elephant (1989) directed by Alan Clarke and produced by Danny Boyle, is a grim study of Northern Ireland during 'The Troubles'. Not going to rate this due to the content but it was very well done and realistic.

Have you seen Gus Van Sant's Elephant? Completely unrelated, but just an amazing piece of filmmaking.

Nebraska

I thought it was great. Probably won't push best picture from the big 2 candidates but it was really very good. Alot funnier than I expected too.
This is pretty much what I thought. I loved it. I didn't expect it too be as funny as it was either, so many moments where I couldn't stop laughing Loved Squibb's character, everything she said was hilarious.

I like the new format... refreshing

Finished here. It's been fun.
Taxi Driver (rewatch)

. Definitely one of the best Scorsese films, but I didn't love it as much with this most recent viewing. The cinematography and entire mood of the film is as impeccable as I remember, as are the performances and that mesmerizing Bernard Herrmann theme. Just didn't connect to it as much as when I viewed it some years back, and I can't put my finger on it. Oh well.

Taxi Driver (rewatch)

. Definitely one of the best Scorsese films, but I didn't love it as much with this most recent viewing. The cinematography and entire mood of the film is as impeccable as I remember, as are the performances and that mesmerizing Bernard Herrmann theme. Just didn't connect to it as much as when I viewed it some years back, and I can't put my finger on it. Oh well.
I never got into this movie, I did see it when I was 15 and maybe didn't understand it. I do have to rewatch, Scorsese is my all time favourite director.

I haven't seen a few Scorsese movies actually (Wikipedia check), was always more into his Gangster films. What is Colour of Money like? Sequel to the hustler isn't it? Also need to see Raging Bull and the King of Comedy any I know RB is a good movie but what is King of Comedy like?

The King of Comedy is a fantastic film! My fourth favorite Scorsese movie. It is very different from Goodfellas and Raging Bull, but gives us a fantastic performance by De Niro and explores themes and subject matter far ahead of it's time.