Tools    

Maybe a play on the name.

Rona.
Ronnie.
Covie.
Heck, just call it COVID.

How bout Yodi?

Yodi
In old Chinese the word "yodi" was also used to seal a bond between two people. It also means love and happiness.
I like it.

But Apricat is the best so far IMO & it’s bi-gender.

Box-Fanned & Consoled Nobility
I don't have any pets per say...but I do have free birds that live outside in several treehouse[s] that I had put up for them....

I also put up several birdfeeders.......I had to buy the more expensive squirrel proof birdfeeders

I also have a birdbath out there for them too...

Cat update!

It's been a bit of a roller coaster, because when my sisters brought the cat in they found it had a microchip! I didn't post in here right away because I wanted to see what happened first. The shelter told my sisters the owner lives near me. Mind you, I walk the dog basically twice a day and I'm not sure I'd ever seen this cat before, so I assume it either was purchased recently, or was just being let outside a lot recently.

Anyway, they called the owner and didn't hear back. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let my sisters keep the cat while waiting to hear back, either: they made them treat it as if they were just bringing in a stray. They said at most they could just monitor the site to see if the cat ended up in the adoption pool. Didn't even volunteer to call and let them know, give them first chance after bringing it in, or anything. Pretty upsetting for all of us.

...until this morning, where my sisters apparently noticed the cat had been added to the site, pounced all over it, and got the cat! Shelter said the owner was "dodging" calls, though I'm not sure what that could mean other than "they didn't get back to us within a few days."

Anyway, the cat is safe and sound and back in its new home and very comfortable. Happy ending! They decided to name it Myrtle. The vet did indeed confirm it is a female, apparently rare for a ginger.

Maybe the virus hit and they just didn't want to deal with it (if it was already an indoor cat), or maybe it was both in and out and the prospect of letting the animal roam and then come inside was problematic under the circumstances. Whatever it was,

My best guess is maybe this person has had the cat for a few months and, once the virus started spreading, either didn't like the idea of a cat that came and went (for obvious reasons), or if it was an indoor cat, just couldn't deal with taking care of it. The idea that it was owned for awhile and then something changed, though, fits with the timing, the fact that I hadn't seen it, and its behavior (somewhat friendly, ravenous and eager to be petted after presumably being outside for a few days).

So glad we got a happy ending with this one.

Apparently it's because of the Harry Potter character, because the cat moans and wails a lot.

In general, I'm a big fan of human names if they're rare or archaic. This definitely fits the bill.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Cat update!

It's been a bit of a roller coaster, because when my sisters brought the cat in they found it had a microchip! I didn't post in here right away because I wanted to see what happened first. The shelter told my sisters the owner lives near me. Mind you, I walk the dog basically twice a day and I'm not sure I'd ever seen this cat before, so I assume it either was purchased recently, or was just being let outside a lot recently.

Anyway, they called the owner and didn't hear back. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let my sisters keep the cat while waiting to hear back, either: they made them treat it as if they were just bringing in a stray. They said at most they could just monitor the site to see if the cat ended up in the adoption pool. Didn't even volunteer to call and let them know, give them first chance after bringing it in, or anything. Pretty upsetting for all of us.

...until this morning, where my sisters apparently noticed the cat had been added to the site, pounced all over it, and got the cat! Shelter said the owner was "dodging" calls, though I'm not sure what that could mean other than "they didn't get back to us within a few days."

Anyway, the cat is safe and sound and back in its new home and very comfortable. Happy ending! They decided to name it Myrtle. The vet did indeed confirm it is a female, apparently rare for a ginger.

Maybe the virus hit and they just didn't want to deal with it (if it was already an indoor cat), or maybe it was both in and out and the prospect of letting the animal roam and then come inside was problematic under the circumstances. Whatever it was,

My best guess is maybe this person has had the cat for a few months and, once the virus started spreading, either didn't like the idea of a cat that came and went (for obvious reasons), or if it was an indoor cat, just couldn't deal with taking care of it. The idea that it was owned for awhile and then something changed, though, fits with the timing, the fact that I hadn't seen it, and its behavior (somewhat friendly, ravenous and eager to be petted after presumably being outside for a few days).

So glad we got a happy ending with this one.

I'm glad to hear that it all worked out well in the end, but I'm surprised that you didn't check to see if the cat was chipped before giving it a new home.

It was understood my sisters were going to have it checked out and we'd learn soon enough if that were the case. Priority was just to get it off the street first, particularly under the circumstances.

That said, I was pretty skeptical a cat that was still being genuinely cared for would be likely to end up in that situation, which I guess turned out to be the case with the lack of returned calls.

Myrtle - hope the lil puddy don't grow up thinking she's actually a turtle
Glad it all ended nicely.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Myrtle - hope the lil puddy don't grow up thinking she's actually a turtle
Glad it all ended nicely.
She'll probably.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I also have a birdbath out there for them too...
That’s really wonderful. Because the majority of people with birdbaths - if they even have one - leave them empty. Drives me nuts. Birds need water to drink & bathe in. That’s why they’re called birdbaths.

They decided to name it Myrtle. The vet did indeed confirm it is a female, apparently rare for a ginger.

My best guess is maybe this person has had the cat for a few months and, once the virus started spreading, either didn't like the idea of a cat that came and went (for obvious reasons).
Funny we both rescued a female orange cat this month. What are the odds. Kudos to you - again - and to your sisters. Presumably, as she’s microchipped, she’s already spayed?

Don’t understand your comment in the 2nd para above. You can’t be infected with the virus from a cat.

Glad Myrtle doesn’t have to deal with an owner like that anymore. Cats should never be let outside: really dangerous. Having said this, we have 6 outside. Not ideal, but they are not adoptable for one reason or another. Even though they are all fixed, some of them roam and it’s the call of the wild & we can’t do anything about it. If they get themselves killed by a car, that’s on them.

Re: virus. Last I'd heard, people didn't initially think it could spread via animals, but since then there are some isolated cases that suggest it's at least possible, if not as common or easy as it spreads among people. But for these purposes the theory is just that someone would worry about the cat bringing it in, whether that's a reasonable fear or not.

I definitely don't have a blanket objection to animals that live outside (or mostly/partially live outside). It works well in some areas, and sometimes people can afford to feed more animals but not keep them indoors, and it can be better than nothing. This, however, isn't a great area for it. It's not downtown, it's the suburbs, but there aren't lots of wooded areas very nearby, either.

⬆️ My biggest fear is that some lunatic psycho because of the virus decides to go around killing cats

Mercifully, it seems sentiment is mostly the other way: I've heard that (and seen some indications of) adoptions are up, because people want companionship if stuck inside. I know someone who got a dog just before all this and was really relieved they did.

⬆️ Good to know, but not happening here. People are not interested at the moment in going to our local shelter with a view to adopting. (I may have hooked them up with a fosterer so that is good.)

Goodness only knows how long the orange cat I rescued will be stuck in limbo. But she had to come off the street.

Myrtle really is a lovely cat. How anyone could give up on her is beyond me. Anyway, doesn’t matter now.