Jaws vs. Alien
54.00%
27 votes
Jaws
46.00%
23 votes
Alien
50 votes. You may not vote on this poll

When JAWS came out in the 1970s, it literally scared people so much they were afraid to go into the water Alien was more creative, and maybe even better directed. Spielberg wasnt showing patience as a storyteller to slowly introduce the shark, it was more like he had no choice but to because the shark never worked. To say "he made do" is an understatement.

Alien is a work of art, but I enjoyed JAWS more.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
When JAWS came out in the 1970s, it literally scared people so much they were afraid to go into the water Alien was more creative, and maybe even better directed. Spielberg wasnt showing patience as a storyteller to slowly introduce the shark, it was more like he had no choice but to because the shark never worked. To say "he made do" is an understatement.

Alien is a work of art, but I enjoyed JAWS more.
Alien literally scared people so much they rarely go into space.lol

I'm sure it's terrifying if you get bitten by a shark, or if one lunges at you like the man at the beginning of this video. But generally shark attacks are very rare and tons of people go swimming with them. They don't usually attack people unless provoked because we're not one of their natural prey. I've seen sharks b-line for divers, and divers have just pushed off the shark's nose avoiding it with relative ease. I think this video has a nice balanced range of coverage on the issue:

A moot point. It scared me more, and has nothing to do with going into space.

Edit: I should add, it has nothing to do with me personally going into space. That may be a way for you to rationalize away your fear of the creature in Alien. I didn't find the shark in Jaws portrayed realistically, so I didn't find it scary. At least if there was an Alien like the one in the movie Alien, that would be terrifying. That I can be much more scared of.

A moot point. It scared me more, and has nothing to do with going into space.

Edit: I should add, it has nothing to do with me personally going into space. That may be a way for you to rationalize away your fear of the creature in Alien. I didn't find the shark in Jaws portrayed realistically, so I didn't find it scary. At least if there was an Alien like the one in the movie Alien, that would be terrifying. That I can be much more scared of.
Mate you need to stop. You said sharks are slow, unscary and you can just chuck your hand out and push them by the head. Own it...no matter how ridiculous I think it is...who cares what I think of you...it’s more about what the shark thinks of you.

This might just do nobody any good.
Are raccoons agro?
People have been on the look-out for those little monsters since Guardians of the Galaxy...

To this day, I won’t go near a dumpster.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Lol. I do know they can scale tall buildings pretty easily.

All my reasons for loving Alien and for loving Jaws have zero to do with which thing is more scary in real life. Seems an odd and extremely myopic way to approach judging art.

The scariest thing in both movies is corporate interests.

Think that's a neat comment - no joke. Jaws showed corporate interests on a smaller scale in terms of the local economy and tourism if you class a local government as a sort of corporation. Its further explored this in the book delving into property and pressure from other sources.

Obviously Weyland corp and its decisions speaks for itself. Another point of similarity.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
@Zotis
I will have to disagree with you on the shark thing. Aggressive or not, a shark is TERRIFYING. It's a humongous creature who has the ability to swim at 30 miles per hour and rip chunks out of you like nothing.

Yeah, you can look at a passive gorilla or tiger in a zoo and completely forget that these are apex fighters who could shred you like paper. Same with a shark. Except sharks can be even bigger, and if they mistake you for a seal- well you know what happens.

All you need to do is push it away? Sounds like these self defense drills where "all you need to do is grab the gun and pull it away". Absolutely different in a real-life scenario, especially with the shock and your heart rate up.

And yes, Jaws is not a realistic portrayal of a shark. It's a movie. It's fictional. Alien isn't a realistic portrayal of an alien- oh wait, aliens may or may not exist and if they did, they probably look nothing like how they are shown in the film. Again, this is cinema. Almost nothing is realistic in cinema- especially in the sci-fi/horror genres.

And yes, Jaws is not a realistic portrayal of a shark. It's a movie. It's fictional. Alien isn't a realistic portrayal of an alien- oh wait, aliens may or may not exist and if they did, they probably look nothing like how they are shown in the film. Again, this is cinema. Almost nothing is realistic in cinema- especially in the sci-fi/horror genres.
Did you watch the last video I posted? If they are so terrifying why are so many people swimming with them in the wild, riding on their fins and petting them? Not in a zoo, in the wild. And despite so many people playing with wild sharks why are there so few actual attacks if they are so terrifying? You may be terrified of them, but I think you're exagerating the danger to argue that Jaws is a stronger match for Alien.

If you think Alien isn't realistic just because the alien is fictitious then you missunderstand the meaning of the word realistic. Something doesn't need to be real to be realistic. If something fictitious is realistic thatmeans it's done well as if it could exist. Alien was done very realistically. If terrifying space monsters did exist they could look and act like that. That's why they're scary. But even if the exaggerated shark in Jaws actually could exist it wouldn't behave the way it did in the movie. That is why Jaws is unrealistic. They just didn't research actual shark behaviour enough or deliberately ignored it for what they considered entertainment.

Wow now the arguments Jaws is unrealistic compared to alien. Smfh lol!
Yeah actually it's way more realistic. Why do you think Alien isn't more realistic?

Wow now the arguments Jaws is unrealistic compared to alien. Smfh lol!
Yeah actually it's way more realistic. Why do you think Alien isn't more realistic?
The alien movie did feel realistic for a science fiction movie I grant you that. Aliens most likely exist - I believe that, don’t know it but believe it, surely something like a bacteria things at the least.. However you can believe the alien in alien and how events unfold but cannot believe a rogue shark who eats humans? Jaws is based on the novel jaws - the author is known to have researched extensively and is now a shark advocate. So it has roots that are well informed and it’s based on a real life creature rather than a fiction chest bursting creature. Both are movies. Both are terrifying in their own right expect that you don’t think the shark is because it’s unrealistic in the movie compared to the alien in the movie? Is that why you’re saying?

The alien movie did feel realistic for a science fiction movie I grant you that. Aliens most likely exist - I believe that, don’t know it but believe it, surely something like a bacteria things at the least.. However you can believe the alien in alien and how events unfold but cannot believe a rogue shark who eats humans? Jaws is based on the novel jaws - the author is known to have researched extensively and is now a shark advocate. So it has roots that are well informed and it’s based on a real life creature rather than a fiction chest bursting creature. Both are movies. Both are terrifying in their own right expect that you don’t think the shark is because it’s unrealistic in the movie compared to the alien in the movie? Is that why you’re saying?
Well neither the rogue shark that eats humans nor the alien in Alien actually exist. Which is more realistic is based on how they would behave if they existed. I think Alien did a lot of research on the psychology of fear. Even if an alien like that doesn't exist I thought it was a convincing portrayal of what could exist. But I don't think the shark in Jaws could exist. It's too big and sharks don't prey on humans. Maybe the book was more realistic, but the movie wasn't.

If we're talking about which creature is more realistic I am inclined to favor Alien. I recognize the argument that sharks are actual animals, but I don't think that outweighs the other elements. If we're talking about which movie is more realistic overall then there is no contest. Alien is way more realistic in almost every other way. The only other aspect Jaws even has an argument for being more realistic in is it's setting. But I would even argue that Alien has a more realistic portrayal of space travel and life on a space ship than Jaws has of modern 70's life.

Well neither the rogue shark that eats humans nor the alien in Alien actually exist. Which is more realistic is based on how they would behave if they existed. I think Alien did a lot of research on the psychology of fear. Even if an alien like that doesn't exist I thought it was a convincing portrayal of what could exist. But I don't think the shark in Jaws could exist. It's too big and sharks don't prey on humans. Maybe the book was more realistic, but the movie wasn't.

If we're talking about which creature is more realistic I am inclined to favor Alien. I recognize the argument that sharks are actual animals, but I don't think that outweighs the other elements. If we're talking about which movie is more realistic overall then there is no contest. Alien is way more realistic in almost every other way. The only other aspect Jaws even has an argument for being more realistic in is it's setting. But I would even argue that Alien has a more realistic portrayal of space travel and life on a space ship than Jaws has of modern 70's life.
No! The alien is not realistic. They normally don’t behave like that. Have you heard of an alien attacking a human? If an alien came at me I would put my hands up and could push it away by the head so how is that scary?