Carl Reiner, American Comedy Legend, Dead at 98

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
It's not like he didn't live a long and amazing life, but this still saddens me greatly.

He and Mel Brooks met for dinner (on TV trays) while watching evening game shows like Jeopardy! a few times a week. I think this is going to hit Mel pretty hard.

Legendary director and actor. RIP Mr. Reiner. My thoughts go to Rob and the Reiner family.

I'll be watching The Jerk in his honor.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
One of the great comedic actors, directed many classic comedys, best friends with Mel Brooks, and made Steve Martin's career. R.I.P.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Also... a friend of mine from high school met Carl Reiner when he was a guest on the Letterman show in the early 1980s. He gathered the segment on a short YouTube video, and it's probably my favorite "brush with greatness" clip ever (including any of my own). Dan is a great guy with an amazing, dry sense of humor.

Not shocked because the man has been working in show business since the 1950's but this still a tremendous loss...what a legacy this man has left behind...if he had done nothing else, he made his mark with The Dick Van Dyke Show and every episode where he appeared as Alan Brady was appointment television...that character put me on the floor. I always loved The Thrill of it All, The Jerk and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and I think he was BRILLIANT in the first Oceans 11 movie...wow...why do I have a feeling Mel Brooks is next? Anyway, RIP, Mr. Reiner, you've definitely earned it.

TBH I'd forgotten that he was still alive. Sad to hear of his death. What a wonderful life for 98 years.

As a kid I watched Your Show of Shows on TV with Reiner, Sid Caesar, and the incomparable Imogene Coca. I'm sure there are many episodes on YouTube, and most would still hold up to today.

There was a movie compiled in the early '70s called, Ten from Your Show of Shows, which is probably still available. It's absolutely hilarious. If one can watch this without laughing then he has probably assumed room temperature... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069663/

I'd have to say that Coca was my favorite. She was the first TV comedienne, and no one was better. She could do it all. Without her there would have been no Carrol Burnett or Mary Tyler Moore.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
"The Dick Van Dyke Show" is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I love Carl Reiner as Alan Brady.

R.I.P.

Rest in peace. I recently got to watch Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid for the first time and it quickly became one of my faves. I also consider The Jerk one of the greats.