Casablanca
9.09%
2 votes
Citizen Kane
59.09%
13 votes
Other than above. Please say your pick
22 votes. You may not vote on this poll

My pick is GWTW. No other movie could ever be so ahead of its time again like this 30s epic. The last lines uttered by both Rhett, and Scarlet have been repeated for decades. The powerful ending to Braveheart places second imo.

Existing thread on this subject right HERE.

I'd go with Chinatown as my all-time favorite if forced to choose, but also Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Maltese Falcon, In a Lonely Place, Casablanca, The Wild Bunch, Midnight Cowboy, Dogville and many, many others.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My pick is GWTW. No other movie could ever be so ahead of its time again like this 30s epic. The last lines uttered by both Rhett, and Scarlet have been repeated for decades. The powerful ending to Braveheart places second imo.
There are several great endings to movies down through the years.

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1933) In the final scene, the formerly honest Paul Muni is asked, “How do you survive?” and he answers, fading into the darkness, “I steal.”

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) The ending is more than just “a scene,” starting with Rocky’s execution and continuing to Father Connelly confirming the “truth” of Rocky’s death to the young boys who had admired him.

The Roaring Twenties (1939) “Who was he?” asks the policeman standing over the bullet-riddled corpse. “He used to be somebody,” answers the woman.

The Maltese Falcon (1941) “What is it?” “The stuff that dreams are made of.” Shadows like prison bars across the face of Mary Astor. First film directed by John Huston.

Battleground (1950) Survivors of the airborne regiment coming off the line at Bastogne, shaping up, picking up the pace, and counting cadence as they march pass the fresh replacements. Directed by former soldier William Wellman who knew how real soldiers should look and behave on screen.

White Heat (1950) Who could forget that fiery finish!

A system of cells interlinked

I am going to have to go with Chinatown, which is in my Top 3 films of all time. Bleak, dark, unrelenting. Yeah, they went there, and no, there isn't any more. Why?

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."

When people start talking about the end of The Sixth Sense or something, I pop in Chinatown. BANG, now THAT's a twist.

Also need to mention Kubrick's The Killing. Damn that dog!

Also Kiss Me Deadly - The original apocalyptic end...

2001: A Space Odyssey - People are still debating the end of this film today. Clearly, it had some impact.

EDIT - Ahhh crap, Holden beat me to it, as usual.

Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) The ending is more than just “a scene,” starting with Rocky’s execution and continuing to Father Connelly confirming the “truth” of Rocky’s death to the young boys who had admired him.

White Heat (1950) Who could forget that fiery finish!
These would be top of my list too. Well chosen Ruf

Last Tango in Paris. Best beginning and middle too.

WARNING: "No Country For Old Men" spoilers below
Not to be too topical, but when Anton shows back up in Texas to kill Llewelyn's wife in "No Country For Old Men" because "he could have saved you", I just thought "dammmmmnnnnn...."

WARNING: "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" spoilers below
Also, when Bogart's character in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" realizes that the bandits are going to kill him, I felt bad, even for a guy who'd killed his friends for greed.

I like, How the Grinch stole Christmas.
The Grinch became nice, the presents were returned, it was a very nice ending.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That is my favorite image at the end of a film, as it fades to black with Toots' harmonica playing. I have to think harder about actual endings before I vote.

Hmm..i did love the ending of the movie 30 days of night..were in Sheriff Eben Oleson (josh harnett) turning into ashes as the next sunrise on the arms of his wife..

I know I'm always on about Taxi Driver...

but that ending is AMAZING. probably my favourite film ending. apparently studio execs made Scorsese underexpose the negative so everything looked darker to play down the 'redness' of the blood.

A system of cells interlinked
I love the few seconds in which Travis is looking in the rear view mirror. The camera speed goes crazy, just for a second....

I am going to have to go with Chinatown, which is in my Top 3 films of all time. Bleak, dark, unrelenting. Yeah, they went there, and no, there isn't any more. Why?

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."

When people start talking about the end of The Sixth Sense or something, I pop in Chinatown. BANG, now THAT's a twist.

That made me rent the movie. Can't wait to go home and watch it in a few hours!

WARNING: "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" spoilers below
There is one major mistake at the end of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre that few viewers or even fans rarely recognize. Gold is a very heavy metal, even in the form of "gold dust." It wouldn't have blown away like the movie shows, especially in a wind that wasn't even strong enough to blow away the empty bags in which the dust was kept. In real life, it still would have been there on the ground for the two surviving partners to scoop up.

Another mystery is how did they end up with gold dust anyway? One pans gold dust--weathered flakes of gold--out of a stream. One digs nuggets out of a vein of gold in a hillside mine. Even if the gold is mixed with the rock at so many ounces per ton, miners crunch the rocks and use chemicals and heat to seperate out the gold, usually in a molten form that is then cooled into ingots, not dust.

Still, it's a damn good entertaining fun film.

I liked The Departed.

The Departed ending played like an amateurish b-rated level directorial copout.

Love The Thing reference though Iroqouise. Body Snatchers was boss too!