Quote of the Day

Tools    

Everything I know I learned from my cat: When you're hungry, eat. When you're tired, nap in a sunbeam. When you go to the vet's, pee on your owner.

Gary Smith

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"So far as hypotheses are concerned, let no one expect anything certain from astronomy, which cannot furnish it, lest he accept as the truth ideas conceived for another purpose, and depart from this study a greater fool than when he entered it."

- Nicolaus Copernicus

Colour out of Time

Aleister Crowley
born Edward Alexander Crowley
12th October 1875 - 1st December 1947
British Occultist, Writer, Philosopher, Hedonist.
Wiki
Member of Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, The Silver Star and Ordo Templi Orientis

The Wickedest Man in the World

“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law”

“Paganism is wholesome because it faces the facts of life.”

“If one were to take the bible seriously one would go mad. But to take the bible seriously, one must be already mad.”

“The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.”

“I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.”

“Intolerance is evidence of impotence.”

“Falsehood is invariably the child of fear in one form or another”

“I was asked to memorise what I did not understand; and, my memory being so good, it refused to be insulted in that manner.”

“Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.”

“Modern morality and manners suppress all natural instincts, keep people ignorant of the facts of nature and make them fighting drunk on bogey tales.”

“I have never grown out of the infantile belief that the universe was made for me to suck.”

“In the absence of will-power the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.”

“every man and woman is a star”

“The supreme satisfaction is to be able to despise one's neighbor and this fact goes far to account for religious intolerance. It is evidently consoling to reflect that the people next door are headed for hell.”

“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics.”

“The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing.”

“The people who have really made history are the martyrs.”

“Roughly speaking, any man with energy and enthusiasm ought to be able to bring at least a dozen others round to his opinion in the course of a year no matter how absurd that opinion might be. We see every day in politics, in business, in social life, large masses of people brought to embrace the most revolutionary ideas, sometimes within a few days. It is all a question of getting hold of them in the right way and working on their weak points.”

“To the eyes of a god, mankind must appear as a species of bacteria which multiply and become progressively virulent whenever they find themselves in a congenial culture, and whose activity diminishes until they disappear completely as soon as proper measures are taken to sterilize them.”

“It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.”

“Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness.”

“Part of the public horror of sexual irregularity so-called is due to the fact that everyone knows himself essentially guilty.”

“The conscience of the world is so guilty that it always assumes that people who investigate heresies must be heretics; just as if a doctor who studies leprosy must be a leper. Indeed, it is only recently that science has been allowed to study anything without reproach.”

“To read a newspaper is to refrain from reading something worth while. The first discipline of education must therefore be to refuse resolutely to feed the mind with canned chatter.”

“To me a book is a message from the gods to mankind; or, if not, should never be published at all. A message from the gods should be delivered at once. It is damnably blasphemous to talk about the autumn season and so on. How dare the author or publisher demand a price for doing his duty, the highest and most honorable to which a man can be called?”

“Love stories are only fit for the solace of people in the insanity of puberty. No healthy adult human being can really care whether so-and-so does or does not succeed in satisfying his physiological uneasiness by the aid of some particular person or not.”

“When one walks, one is brought into touch first of all with the essential relations between one's physical powers and the character of the country; one is compelled to see it as its natives do. Then every man one meets is an individual. One is no longer regarded by the whole population as an unapproachable and uninteresting animal to be cheated and robbed.”

“I was not content to believe in a personal devil and serve him, in the ordinary sense of the word. I wanted to get hold of him personally and become his chief of staff.”

“Religion itself becomes offensively monotonous. On every point of vantage are pagodas --stupid stalagmites of stagnant piety.”

I am half agony, half hope.
"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude."

~William James

Johann von Goethe

Welcome to the human race...
"Hell is empty,
And all the devils are here."

-- From The Tempest by William Shakespeare

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree;
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.

People who have what they want are fond
of telling people who haven't what they want
that they really don't want it.

Maybe I couldn't be dafter,
But I keep wondering if this
time we settle our differences
before a war instead of after.

I do not like to get the news, because
there has never been an era when so
many things were going so right for
so many of the wrong persons.

Progress might have been all right once,
but it has gone on too long.

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

A Caution To Everybody

Consider the auk;
Becoming extinct because he forgot how to fly, and could only walk.
Consider man, who may well become extinct
Because he forgot how to walk and learned how to fly before he thinked.

Ogden Nash
(d. May 19, 1971)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Dachshunds Fear Me
"All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height."

"I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many."

"I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice."

"Never make predictions, especially about the future."

Casey Stengel

George: Arthur.

Some of my personal favorite quotes:

Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. Love the people who treat you right, and forget the people who don't.

You dont have to be attached to a donkey to be an ass (translated from a dutch qoute, i dont know if its used in english)

Its better to reget a mistake that to reget not making it at all

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Never fear answers - fear running out of questions.

The knowledge of what is infinite can never be açquired by a finite inquier

When buying a car, you also do a testdrive.

Sorry for the missing sources

And do check my "art": Deviant

Treat me like an angel and I'll be your lil' devil."

Procrastinate now, don't put it off.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

You could fall for chains of silver!
You could fall for chains of gold.
You could fall for pretty strangers, and the promises they hold!
You promised me everything.
You promised me thick and thin yeah, but when ya see old Romeo ya go
"Ya I used to have a seen with him"

-Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)

The most effective way to restrict democracy
is to transfer decision-making from the public
arena to unaccountable institutions:
kings and princes, priestly castes, military juntas,
party dictatorships, or modern corporations.

~ Noam Chomsky ~

If you are not careful,the newspapers will have you
hating the people who are being oppressed and
loving the people who are doing the oppressing.

~ Ward Churchill & Jim Vander Wall ~
(Boston South End Press 1990)

Washing one's hands of the conflict between the
powerful and the powerless means to side with
the powerful, not to be neutral.

~ Paulo Freire ~

Although we are in different boats -
you in your boat and we in our canoe
we share the same river of life.

~ Chief Oren Lyons ~
Onandaga Nation, USA

You could fall for chains of silver!
You could fall for chains of gold.
You could fall for pretty strangers, and the promises they hold!
You promised me everything.
You promised me thick and thin yeah, but when ya see old Romeo ya go
"Ya I used to have a seen with him"

-Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)
Juliet, when we made love you used to cry.

MY favorite song!

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well somethings lost, but somethings gained
In living every day - Joni Mitchell (Both Sides Now)

Dachshunds Fear Me
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

"A person may cause evil to others not only by his actions but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury."

"One person with a belief is equal to ninety-nine who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."

- Walt Disney

Someone Save Us College Kids
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility."

- Khalil Gibran

Welcome to the human race...
It was once said that a thousand monkeys typing on a thousand typewriters would produce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this isn't true.

Can't remember who said it.