Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

My top 5 overrated films are:

5. Taxi Driver (Sorry, I'm not trying to make enemies)
4. Spirited Away (See IMDB)
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (I've never been able to get stoned enough to get that one)
2. Mulin Rogue/Chicago
1. Heathers (I love my 80's movies, but what is it about this movie that most women love)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Although most of the overrated movies are overrated for a reason, I would agree with your list more if you put Taxi Driver at #1 and ditched the "stoner" movie you didn't get.

Welcome to the human race...
That's why he plays a cop in that movie.
He also spends the bulk of the film acting as a gangster. So he's an actor playing a cop playing a gangster.

Stuck in the middle with you.
Anyone see the trailer for 88 Minutes yet. I saw this morning. Great to see Al do something new huh?

Dachshunds Fear Me
Has anyone said The Departed yet? Oh my god, I don't care if i'm the only one who thinks this, but it was BOOORING. Throw together an all star cast, a legendary director and a huge budget and this is what you get?? I was expecting more.
Amen to that. In no way, shape or form did Scorsese deserve to win his first Best Director Oscar for this. It was uninvolving, choppy (Thelma Schoonmaker really fell asleep at the editing wheel on this one), and one-dimensional. Scorsese's obviously deserved an Oscar for a very long time, but not for this. It was a total "gimme."

That said, my vote for most overrated movie would probably be 2001: A Space Odyssey. There aren't enough euphoric substances in the world to make me get this film.

George: Arthur.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
How can you say Scarface and Braveheart are over rated? Both of them are excellent movies and are always talked about as the best in their genre "By most people"
Erm...that's exactly how they are overrated (well, Braveheart at least, I think Scarface is both overrated and underrated by some people, so it probably evens out).

'Overrated' does not mean 'sucked'. If a mediocre or even a good movie is talked about as the best of its genre by most people, I would say that is overrated, because people are rating it higher than it deserves.

Not only is it one of the worst films I've seen - but it is regarded by many as one of the best horror movies. There are few films that can annoy me and look as god awful as this movie at the same time.

Another highly praised film that makes me think really hard how people could enjoy watching it. Incredibly slow and tedious with broad open themes (or you could just say no themes).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I agree that 2001 is overrated, but no way in hell is The Evil Dead overrated.

It was made by a group of friends for next to nothing in the middle of nowhere and it has become one of the most terrifying horror films of all time.

Suspect's Reviews

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yet again do I agree with TUS Ash has to be one of the coolest characters ever!

I'm laughably floored by some of the movies mentioned in here as overrated. That being said, it's my turn to carve up a few "beloved" flicks.

The 1st 2 that come to mind: Traffic and Crash.

Crash: Beginning to end, it's filled with hyper-stereotypical rubbish, Hollywood-style. One of the biggest beefs I have is the scene near the end. If someone shoots a gun at you (or your daughter), and the gun is firing blanks, are you seriously going to just turn away and walk back into your house? Answer: Hell, no! Someone's gonna' take a beating that sends them either to the hospital or the morgue-- and justifiably so, don't you think?

Traffic: God, I didn't care about one single character in this movie. I'm a fan of Del Toro's (Cheadle, too) but, for him to win Best Supporting for that role is extremely generous.

http://www.sizzlequiz.com/SelectFreeGame.aspx?c=Movies

Meadows and Wook Obsessive
what ever happened to a film being so massively appreciated because it deserves it?

you all seem to think a film is overrated if it's had a lot of praise. I for one think that the godfather hasn't had enough. It's beautiful. Granted the 2 sequels live of it's predecessors success, but that's no reason to slap an "Overrated" on it's original.

IMO anyway.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Traffic: God, I didn't care about one single character in this movie. I'm a fan of Del Toro's (Cheadle, too) but, for him to win Best Supporting for that role is extremely generous.
Really? The only other one up that year that I thought came even close to doing as good of a job as Del Toro was Defoe. I think Benicio completely deserved it.

E.T. definately.
I don't blame the government for taking him, for all they knew he had space aids.
Plus, they were so "terrible" they didn't even shoot at them.
Also, that sappy-ass scene where the kids are talking about their dad, and the guy listening starts to tear up was completely cheezy!

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Okay for the purposes of this discussion 'overrated' for me means:

1. Critical Success
2. Won an Oscar
3. Box Office Smash
4. I hated it

My List:

5. Batman (1989)
4. Dances With Wolves (1990)
3. The Matrix (1999)
2. Forest Gump (1994)
1. Titanic (1997)

The Matrix? Wow.
I agree with most on your list, though, Forrest Gump was O.K. but I don't see how it garnered such praise.
Titanic, ugh! First, let's take a horrible tragedy and turn it into a grab-assing festival with Hollywood heart-throbs.