Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Thanks!

And I would definitely be up for hosting another HoF. This has been quite fun.
They're talking about that in the Hall of Fame Archives thread, looks like some have caught the Hof bug and want more! Which is cool...I vote you to host: another Foreign Hof maybe? or Sci-Fi Fantasy? or whatever you want to do.

I was following along here, really well laid out reveal and a great winner too.

Props to Cosmic

Weird is relative.
I agree with everyone that this has been a fun HOF, and I'm looking forward to see what topic is chosen next.

I ended up sitting super-quietly on the sidelines, was fun to sneaky-beak every so often though and keep up with goings on. Well done Cosmic and CR/crick for taking the top spots.

I ended up sitting super-quietly on the sidelines, was fun to sneaky-beak every so often though and keep up with goings on. Well done Cosmic and CR/crick for taking the top spots.
Thanks Chyp Though I can't claim any credit as my name isn't Jacques Demy As always the win is to the movie, not the member....Actually I get zero credit as my wife picked, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg as my nom. She watches all these Hof films with me too

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
looks like I missed this completely -- RATS

Will check out the reveal once I'm at work

And, yes, Cosmic having you host a Sci-fi or Sci-Fantasy would be IDEAL

Pan's Labyrinth is obviously my No.1. Someone else had it a No.1, I am dying to find out who it was.
That would be me!!

Considering how OFTEN I jumped into conversations about this film, it was almost a give away lol

THAT was a BEAUTIFUL and unique style of reveal, @CosmicRunaway!!
REALLY loved the graphs, that was excellent!! And adding two quotes along with points was also a really nice touch.
Amazing bit of extra work on all of that, and, OF COURSE--
A TRULY INCREDIBLE JOB OF HOSTING!!
BRAVO!!

And, of course, that leaves congratulating MRS. @Citizen Rules for nominating a very deserving winner!! YAY!

And to @cricket for the Second Place, F@CKIN EXCELLENT film choice!!

Here is my list: Some really top notch films across the board, including quite a few surprises. EXCELLENT JOB everyone!!!

1) Pan's Labyrinth FOURTH PLACE Fanboy Vote!!
2) Sword of Doom SECOND PLACE Looks like I matched - amazing film!
3) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg FIRST PLACE Purely delightful! A befitting win!
4) The Saragossa Manuscript ELEVENTH PLACE I had been anticipating this one throughout and had a few problems finally getting both a copy and the time and when it happened, it was really a fun watch!
5) Phoenix THIRD PLACE Really love Cosmic's pageant of German/post war films!
6) Assassination SEVENTH PLACE
7) Age of Shadows SIXTH PLACE Actually had these numbers backwards for the reveal - which is cool, will happily follow up a nom by Thursday!
8) Thelma FIFTH PLACE Quite a good film and regret having to place it here, actually.
9) Entre Nos TENTH PLACE
10) Samsara TWELFTH PLACE Which can be said for both of these films. Both held two different, but still poignant emotional impacts.
11) The Leopard EIGHTH PLACE Hated putting this one low as well. Loved the pageantry and epic feel of it, very much.
12) Benny's Video NINTH PLACE Sadly, I am not a fan of Haneke, though I do respect his ability and vision and glad to see it rank higher than I voted for it.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU to the new blood that joined in and truly hope to see more of all of you in future HoFs!!!

I agree with everyone that this has been a fun HOF, and I'm looking forward to see what topic is chosen next.
I would love to see you continue joining in these!
Here's a great spot to hear about and join in what will be coming up in future Hall of Fames Hall of Fame Archive and Info Thread

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
That would be me!!

Considering how OFTEN I jumped into conversations about this film, it was almost a give away lol
Yes! my first choice was you! Given how you have stated how much of a fanboy of Del Toro you are just wanted to make sure!

movies can be okay...
Benny's Video (1992) by Michael Haneke

The following is only Michael Haneke's second feature film, yet he shows clear mastery of his craft. He is a director who knows the exact coordinates of his next moves, and he doesn't compensate or become satisfied, unless the results are exactly what he is thriving for. He is a stark film-maker in content and form, and I believe Benny's Video demonstrates that perfectly. It's his first attempt at tackling the subject of media consumption, and its effects on influencing one's thoughts and actions, which would become a recurring, and subtler theme throughout his filmography.

Benny is a troubled young privileged boy, who thrives on recreating what his mind and senses have already consumed from the media. He understands the falseness of what he sees in movies, and wants to convert that phoniness into its literal form. He is also far from being an adrenaline junkie, since he gets no pleasure nor excitement from acting upon his heinous thoughts. Benny can't possibly even relate to anyone, including himself, due to the media completely desensitising him to basic human emotions. His glacial reactions to the most horrific happenings, could be paralleled to a TV commentator's trained and scripted reportage of the madness in our world.

Thanks to Arno Frisch's simple, subtle, and stoic performance, Benny comes off as neither a straightforward, nor complex character, which compliments the always present mundane atmosphere. As for the rest of the small cast, Ulrich Mühe is fantastic as usual, and Angela Winkler gives the best I've seen of her, and is undoubtedly the reason for one of my favourite scenes of the film. Let's not also forget all of the cameras and televisions inside of Benny's room, since they're not only important characters, but important figures for Benny as well, as they fill the roles of his absent parents. It's also hard not to mention the purposeful and precise cinematography, that that adds to the eroding of the walls between the real, the unreal, and Benny's video.

All in all, just like Haneke himself, this film is a favourite of mine, and would be what I answer when asked about the type of movies I love, since this love keeps developing throughout a long period of time, and I believe that's the most rewarding kind of love.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
Sorry for the small delay there, but I had to leave the best for last. I'm glad Cherbourg took away the title though, since it's probably my favourite film out of this enjoyable HOF, that's if we disregard my own nomination, and the disqualified Millennium Actress, which I believe had an incredible chance at winning, and I'd encourage everyone to visit it regardless.

movies can be okay...
Oh, and here's my list that I sent in:

1) Benny's Video -

2) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg -

3) Phoenix -

4) Thelma -

5) The Sword of Doom -

6) Pan's Labyrinth -

7) The Age of Shadows -

8) Assassination -

9) Samsara -

10) Entre Nos -

11) The Leopard -

12) The Saragossa Manuscript -

Benny's Video (1992) by Michael Haneke

The following is only Michael Haneke's second feature film, yet he shows clear mastery of his craft. He is a director who knows the exact coordinates of his next moves, and he doesn't compensate or become satisfied, unless the results are exactly what he is thriving for. He is a stark film-maker in content and form, and I believe Benny's Video demonstrates that perfectly. It's his first attempt at tackling the subject of media consumption, and its effects on influencing one's thoughts and actions, which would become a recurring, and subtler theme throughout his filmography.

Benny is a troubled young privileged boy, who thrives on recreating what his mind and senses have already consumed from the media. He understands the falseness of what he sees in movies, and wants to convert that phoniness into its literal form. He is also far from being an adrenaline junkie, since he gets no pleasure nor excitement from acting upon his heinous thoughts. Benny can't possibly even relate to anyone, including himself, due to the media completely desensitising him to basic human emotions. His glacial reactions to the most horrific happenings, could be paralleled to a TV commentator's trained and scripted reportage of the madness in our world.

Thanks to Arno Frisch's simple, subtle, and stoic performance, Benny comes off as neither a straightforward, nor complex character, which compliments the always present mundane atmosphere. As for the rest of the small cast, Ulrich Mühe is fantastic as usual, and Angela Winkler gives the best I've seen of her, and is undoubtedly the reason for one of my favourite scenes of the film. Let's not also forget all of the cameras and televisions inside of Benny's room, since they're not only important characters, but important figures for Benny as well, as they fill the roles of his absent parents. It's also hard not to mention the purposeful and precise cinematography, that that adds to the eroding of the walls between the real, the unreal, and Benny's video.

All in all, just like Haneke himself, this film is a favourite of mine, and would be what I answer when asked about the type of movies I love, since this love keeps developing throughout a long period of time, and I believe that's the most rewarding kind of love.
Really love that comparison!

And definitely agree Millennium would have marked VERY highly. VERY good movie. So glad I got a chance to see it.

My rankings:

#1 The Leopard
#2 Sword of Doom
#3 The Saragossa Manuscript
#4 Benny's Video
#5 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
#6 Samsara
#7 Phoenix
#8 Thelma
#9 Assassination
#10 Age of Shadows
#11 Pan's Labyrinth
#12 Entre Nos

Great HoF
Great job of hosting!
Bravo!
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

While we are still waiting on a couple of write-ups to be posted ( Benny's Video from @Okay, Entre Nos and The Saragossa Manuscript from @ScarletLion ), I do now have everyone's lists.

So, for the reveal: what times in EST (since it's the easiest for me to convert from) tomorrow or Sunday would be most convenient for everyone? I can also just post the results as soon as I get everything sorted, but that seems a little unceremonious haha.
I'll get a review of the Saragossa Manuscript in asap, for Entre Nos, you can check out my original review. I think I rated it higher than anybody else on this site :

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...46#post1730646

“I was cured, all right!”
Hi, I'm late, I'm terrible late, but thanks Cosmic for the great hosting! This was my first HoF and I'm very happy I was part of it.
Also, thanks Citzen for your time to send us links for the most hard to find, and I hope to see everyone again in another HoF!
This was great fun!

My list:
The Leopard (1963) ★★★★★
The Sword of Doom (1966) ★★★★★
The Saragossa Manuscript (1965) ★★★★★
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
★★★★
The Age of Shadows (2016)
★★★★
Thelma (2017) ★★★
Entre Nos (2009) ★★★
Assassination (2015) ★★★