The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I would reommend not even taking lists until the 50s countdown is over- as has previously been done. But hey that's just my opinion

I would reommend not even taking lists until the 50s countdown is over- as has previously been done. But hey that's just my opinion
Okeedoke.

Well, my opinion is that there's no harm in taking lists so long as the actual Countdown itself does not steal attention away from another.

*EDIT: Which even then, wouldn't be unreasonable given a wealth of countdowns which certain people have attested to. Besides, I'm not controlling what people are watching for these things. No one has to watch anything, let alone join the countdown, but regardless they will make their own decisions.

I'm down for this; will be sending a list in sometime soon.

I don't think there's any reason to be overly hostile towards Omni, especially since he (or she, still don't know what gender you are exactly ) was willing to move the due date so to not interfere with the 50s countdown.

My suggestion would be that you guys turn this thread into the discussion for it upcoming at an as-of-yet unspecified date at least sometime after the 50's countdown. But also Omnizoa, I should mention that the community usually discusses collectively which top 100 countdowns they're going to do in advance. So you should propose that they do an action countdown next, check for interest, and make arrangements with the rest of the community. Otherwise it will probably be a messy conflict of interest.

My suggestion would be that you guys turn this thread into the discussion for it upcoming at an as-of-yet unspecified date at least sometime after the 50's countdown. But also Omnizoa, I should mention that the community usually discusses collectively which top 100 countdowns they're going to do in advance. So you should propose that they do an action countdown next, check for interest, and make arrangements with the rest of the community. Otherwise it will probably be a messy conflict of interest.
Well that's nothing new. You can't please everyone.

I'll be frank, the prospect of keeping my hands in my lap, waiting for several months for a collective "no, we've already decided on something else" is not exactly enticing.

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
Well, **** this countdown. Looks like people have more hate than love for this to happen, and with the attitudes people bring I'd rather just end this right here. Yes, this is more ambitious and it's a challenge to establish, but I can't see why you can't just stay out of the thread if you only have hate and negative things to say. Or at least be patient to see what it turns out to be as this is still in its starting fase. But whatever.
Originally Posted by Camo
Well usually we only run one Countdown at a time, and you just started this thread without any feedback from the rest of the site. There should be a poll to decide on what we do after the 60s rather than someone just starting a thread declaring something nextt,
That was over a YEAR AGO. That ****in' sucks!

"Maybe try again next year" is not a game I'm willing to play on a forum. It's just a short list of movies and it doesn't necessarily have to involve more then that.

So PARDON ME, but I'm not bending to that crap.

Ok ok, Prince Omni. I thought you were so committed to this forum I shouldn't even question your activity? What's a year too young?

Originally Posted by donniedarko
I thought you were so committed to this forum I shouldn't even question your activity? What's a year too young?
I think I'm a pretty patient person when it comes to time. But I'm also pretty intolerant of wasting it.

If this is the whole reason there aren't more genre countdowns after so many years, of course I'm going to interject.

Originally Posted by donniedarko
Prince Omni
Do you have something meaningful to contribute or are you just dribbling at the mouth? I wasn't insulting you or Camo, but you guys can't seem to help yourselves.

Well, you're encroaching on a tradition many years old without endorsement. It seems a bit disrespectful to me. I certainly won't be supporting it. Wait your turn like everybody else, or do it on some other site and call it something else. Remember, you're still a relative newcomer here. You say you're pretty patient, but your actions are saying something else.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Omni, I think it is pretty rude to intrude on a schedule and plan that people made. I know Raul was waiting patiently to start the 50s HoF for a long time. He had to wait until the Documentary HoF was over, and you just started yours without letting anyone know. I think your an ok member Omni, but I think it was pretty obnoxious to start the countdown without really consulting anyone.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
To those of you who are complaining that Omni just jumped in and started this countdown without asking about it or consulting anyone, did any of you read Omni's previous thread?

Interest Check: MoFo Top 100 Action Movies

Numerous people posted in there showing interest in the countdown and saying that they're "in", but nobody bothered to explain to Omni how these countdowns work. There were at least 10 people, many who have been on this forum for years, who said they were interested, but nobody explained that there's an order to these countdowns, and there might be other people who have been waiting to do other countdowns.

Instead, you guys just all jumped on the bandwagon and let Omni start the thread, and then complained that the countdown was started too soon.

Maybe instead of attacking Omni for wanting to get involved and host a fun forum activity, you should have taken the time to politely explain to a new member how things work around here with these countdowns.

I just saw this thread tonight, didn't see his interest check thread. Yeah, I'm surprised by the people who said they were in even though this wasn't properly organised and nothing was explained to Omni. Very strange...

Originally Posted by Zotis
Well, you're encroaching on a tradition
I don't hold tradition in very high esteem. Virtue by "that's the way things have always been" doesn't fly very far with me.

Originally Posted by Nope1172
I think it was pretty obnoxious to start the countdown without really consulting anyone.
Omni leaned back in his chair, contemplative. She idled back and forth between pronouns mulling over the situation in his head. How best to appropriate empathy for her perspective?

That's when it hit him: Go meta.

She leaned into his keyboard and began typing a response.

"I find this whole situation particularly trivial," she said in mild irration, adapting to the format with increasing fervor, "considering that I come from RP community forums where the primary activity threads each have their own seperate individual handbook-style FAQ threads and users are essentially expected to commit to writing what amounts to a short novel one page per day, spelling and grammar standards included.

There was less bitching over THAT.

That asking if anyone would like to volunteer a short list of movies they like is some great imposition is laughable by comparison."

Omni returned back to her comfortable recline and pondered the ramifications of such a post. <It'll likely brushed off.>, he concluded, resigned to the inevitability of rocking the proverbial boat. <It's no skin of my back.>, Omnizoa thought, not a split second before the sniper bullet peeled through the nearby window and struck her in the base of the skull, painting the wall in a rainbow of viscera.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the people who said they were in even though this wasn't properly organised and nothing was explained to Omni. Very strange...
Some people really like action movies, and didn't realize the whole thing would elicit such ire.

If the title was changed to something else so that it wasn't exactly part of the "MoFo Top 100" series of countdowns (that is if Omni was willing to move on the subject), would that be better? For example, if it was like Sexy Celebrity's lists, but instead of just posting individual ones as they come in, Omni collected them all first and sorted them by popularity.

We could change the total number of movies in the list (either higher or lower), but if people still think it's stepping on the toes of the other Countdown or on forum tradition, then I guess no changes will make everyone happy.

Here's the reality of the situation:

I didn't start a competing Movie of the Month thread.

I didn't even start a Hall of Fame which specifically requires participants to sink hours into actually watching movies.

I simply said I'm taking lists.

If that OFFENDS you or strikes you as selfish, insensitive, or the moral outrage seizes you to the point of gibbering derision, then please, feel free to continue insulting me, because it keeps the thread active and ultimately nothing will change.

If you don't want to participate out of principal or general dislike of action movies, that's A-Okay with me. I'm not asking you to watch anything.

To everyone else, I'm not going anywhere so LET'S DO THIS! *cocks shotgun*

PS: I certainly don't want the 50s Countdown to go anywhere, I'm making a list for that too.