Silver Machine - Hawkwind
Rocket Man - Elton John
Life On Mars - David Bowie
Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Everyday Hurts - Sad Cafe
All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

Sadly, there's aren't enough people on this site to include all the great music of this decade. Thankfully some of you took a good few of the songs I'd have chosen, which meant I could choose these.

Also, it appears that two people have chosen September by Earth, Wind And Fire. I left it so the other person could choose Boogie Wonderland. You're welcome.

and me, I want to join in but I've not got the time to think about it till later this evening ie in about 8 or 9 hours. Can you wait for us?

any chance of putting all the noms in one place to make it easier for latecomers?

Ok, I'll risk all the hate mine (and me for picking them) will probably get and join ...

1. Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

2. Joy Division - Transmission

3. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Happy House

4. Bob Seger - We've Got Tonight

5. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

6. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

7. Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

8. T Rex - Jeepster

OK, checked and all appear to not have already been nominated .... Joy Div and Transmission is in totally on merit (my fave band of all time) and not because JJ mentioned it earlier in the thread ... in fact had it in and subsequently removed it because it was mentioned but a second sweep showed it hadn't actually been nominated.
Nice to see Siouxsie get a nomination. Should have picked something from her myself.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
What's the ruling for a single released in 69', but the album released in 70'?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
What's the ruling for a single released in 69', but the album released in 70'?

That's a good question. I think it should go by the song's release date because this tournament is about the songs, not the albums, but to be fair, I'll ask for opinions from the rest of the people who are joining the tournament.

I don't want to ask the song title because I don't want it to influence anyone's decision, but what does everyone think is fair here. Should we go by the song's release date, or the album's release date?

By the song release date makes sense to me...as the tournament is songs, not albums.

1970s Song Tournament

Can people easily find the release date of a song, or is the date usually associated with the album?

By the song release date makes sense to me...as the tournament is songs, not albums.

1970s Song Tournament

Can people easily find the release date of a song, or is the date usually associated with the album?

I've been using Google and Wikipedia for the release dates.

Is there room for me in this?

If so,

Silver Machine - Hawkwind
Rocket Man - Elton John
Life On Mars - David Bowie
Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Everyday Hurts - Sad Cafe
All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

Sadly, there's aren't enough people on this site to include all the great music of this decade. Thankfully some of you took a good few of the songs I'd have chosen, which meant I could choose these.

Also, it appears that two people have chosen September by Earth, Wind And Fire. I left it so the other person could choose Boogie Wonderland. You're welcome.

Honeykid, the video for Electric Light Orchestra's "Mr Blue Sky" is coming up as blocked here in the U.S.

Is this the same song?

and me, I want to join in but I've not got the time to think about it till later this evening ie in about 8 or 9 hours. Can you wait for us?

any chance of putting all the noms in one place to make it easier for latecomers?

Yeah, I was waiting for everyone's noms to be final, and then I was going to put them all into the first post.

I have to leave in a little while, so I don't have time to do it now, but I'll try to do it in a few hours when I get back to make it easier for everyone.

I'd Love To Change The World, Video Killed The Radio Star and Don't Stop Me Now are my favorites.

Ok, I'll risk all the hate mine (and me for picking them) will probably get and join ...

1. Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

2. Joy Division - Transmission

3. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Happy House

4. Bob Seger - We've Got Tonight

5. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

6. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

7. Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

8. T Rex - Jeepster

OK, checked and all appear to not have already been nominated .... Joy Div and Transmission is in totally on merit (my fave band of all time) and not because JJ mentioned it earlier in the thread ... in fact had it in and subsequently removed it because it was mentioned but a second sweep showed it hadn't actually been nominated.

Chypmunk, I have a few problems with your links and songs.

1) The link for the song Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead" goes to a YouTube search results page, not a specific song.

2) The video for Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Happy House" is not available here in the U.S. Is this the same song? Also, I'm finding the release date on this is 1980. Do you have a link that shows it was released in the 1970s?

3) The video for Bob Seger "We've Got Tonight" is blocked in the U.S. This should be the same song. Is this link okay for you?

4) I'm finding the release date for Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" was 1969. (It was certified Gold in 1970, but it was released in 1969.)

Oops, sorry.
1) Fixed - should now link to song and not search.
2). Whoops, it was indeed released in March 80, was desperate to get a Siouxsie song in there so will select again (and triple check the date this time lol)
3). That's fine
4). Whoops again - can only apologise profusely and pick another.

edit: List update - profuse apologies once more

Great. Thanks. Everything looks good now.

Thanks! Hopefully it won't be any later than that, but I'm definitely in and I'll post them as soon as I get home. I'm expecting to be home by ten, but I don't want to rush anyone out the door.

edit I'll get a couple in now. I need to look tomorrow and see if these have already been nominated.

Talking Heads ~ Psycho Killer
Iggy Pop ~ The Passenger
The Velvet Underground ~ I'm Waiting For My Man

I'm finding that the song The Velvet Underground ~ "I'm Waiting For My Man" has an original release date of 1967, with a re-release in 1971. I'm not sure if this should be considered a 1970s song.

Is there a difference between the two versions, or was the exact same version re-released?

Thank **** for that - enough embarrassment for one evening lol.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to embarrass you.

If it makes you feel any better, in one of my first song tournaments, I accidentally replaced the "youtube" part of the link with "m" instead of the "www" part of the link in all of my noms, so none of my links worked at all.

I added all of the nominations that we have so far into the first post of this thread. They should all be working, but if anyone finds any problems, please let me know.

We're still waiting on a few people to submit their nominations. If I missed anyone's noms, please let me know.

Also, there were a few people who commented in this thread, who haven't said whether or not they want to join, so if there's anyone else who still wants to join, please let me know that as well.