Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

Only seen Repulsion from that last set, which I liked. I was surprised I didn't love it though, seeing as it is exactly the type of movie I end up adoring.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yes. I've just watched it several days ago.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yes. I've just watched it several days ago.
Yeah, I'd about agree with that. Much less readable and cohesive than his other features (on purpose of course) which makes sense as an autobiographical piece . It felt like a much less linear and self-contained kissing cousin to The Tree of Life, but Reygadas is too interested in very specific binaries for it to be as compelling as his other work.

Yeh I have been told it's one of those British films you should watch, but never really seen the chance to.

Also Mr Minio, I think Film4 (British film channel) are showing the Apu trilogy this week, because I set Pather Panchali to record and it gave me the option to 'Series Link' it, which I assume means they'll have the other two parts too.
Film4 shows them quite often, Daniel.

50. Sunrise

Murnau moved to America to create this masterpiece and it was a great decision.

49. My Friend Ivan Lapshin

Thanks to Harry Lime I was able to watch this masterpiece of a film and I'm eternally grateful. Have to watch the rest of his filmography. Seen 2 so far.

48. Come and See

The most horrific film I've ever seen. It shows the atrocities of war and how they affect not only adults, but also children, including the main protagonist.

47. Barry Lyndon

Every frame could be a work of art itself, from breathtaking panoramas to abundant interiors, Barry Lyndon is one of the best looking films in history.

46. The Return

Although I've seen The Banishment twice, this is my favourite Zvyagintsev (learnt by heart how to write down his name in English ortography!) picture.

45. Euphoria

Quirky Russian love story, in which visuals and music play the main part.

44. The Naked Island

The movie is speechless! Pun intended.

43. Sansho the Bailiff

Gruesome take on slavery with tearjerking ending.

42. Oldboy

"Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live?"

41. Poetry

The most beautiful Chang-dong Lee movie. Watch Oasis as well.

I quite liked Barry Lyndon and Repulsion but Oldboy was a letdown for me. It was ok but I thought it was silly. I don't mind silly, but not when it's supposed to be serious.

Oldboy was a letdown for me. It was ok but I thought it was silly. I don't mind silly, but not when it's supposed to be serious.
What was so silly about Oldboy?

The whole thing for me. I know a lot of people love it, and I respect that, but that's just how I felt. I did like the twist but even that was nothing that shocking or special for me. I didn't hate the movie, but I think it's one of those things where you like it less, because of high expectations.

Okay, I respect your opinion, sure, but saying the whole thing, doesn't explain anything at all. What exactly in Oldboy is silly?

40. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

It's my favourite movie, in which a catfish gives a sensual cunnilingus to a woman and she likes it.

39. The Eclipse

Monica Vitti is hot as hell. Alain Delon is cool as hell and the movie is awesome as hell.

38. The Spirit of the Beehive

Ana Torrent once again on my list! This time even higher in this Spanish movie involving bees and Frankenstein. Top notch.

37. The Element of Crime

I've seen several von Trier films, but this is the one I loved the most. It's got dope neo-noir mood and post-apocalyptic scenery. And this narration from out of the screen. Precious.

36. Sedmikrásky

Jitka Cerhová is hot as hell and the movie is such an incredible journey through Czechoslovak surreal New Wave it's only possible to either love it or hate it.

It's all about expectations. I was expecting a serious, somewhat realistic drama. I only got that in the tone of the film. Mostly what I thought was silly was the way the characters acted throughout the film, and different directions the story went. It's really that simple. Maybe absurd would be a better word than silly? Even the famous fight scene; it wasn't exciting or believable, but I wouldn't think it was silly in a standard action film. I really thought it was a mess, but with good qualities.

Isn't that 99% on you then?
I really don't know how to answer that. I mean, my expectations were based upon what I had heard about the film. I could really just say that anyone would be responsible for their expectations or feelings about a film. Isn't that kind of obvious?

I really don't know how to answer that. I mean, my expectations were based upon what I had heard about the film. I could really just say that anyone would be responsible for their expectations or feelings about a film. Isn't that kind of obvious?
You could say that, given the expectations impeded the purpose of whatever film. I tend to see lots of foreign films maintain both a serious and whimsical mood, so generally I have zero expectations and it is thus much easier to digest/critique something from a clean slate. I'm not offended by not liking Oldboy, it's my least favorite Park film, but it being silly because you wanted something hard-boiled just struck me as a bit odd.

The tone of the film, at least to me, suggests a serious and believable film. I'm not sure how you can find my simple opinion odd. If that is truly odd to you, then I guess you haven't seen many odd things in your life.

The tone of the film, at least to me, suggests a serious and believable film. I'm not sure how you can find my simple opinion odd. If that is truly odd to you, then I guess you haven't seen many odd things in your life.
So..pointing out something that is odd, means nothing else is odd? What? This is going nowhere. Minio continue on

So..pointing out something that is odd, means nothing else is odd? What? This is going nowhere. Minio continue on
You're telling me my feelings about a movie are odd; you may like the movie and that's fine, but my feelings about it can't be argued.