Superb Scenes With Seanc

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
A 1 Rating for Deadpool, I'm not surprised. It's not anything I'm interested in, especially after reading "but all of the swearing and sex felt forced". It seems today's mass-marketed, block buster movies all feel the need to go 'bigger and badder' each time. When a movie has to use shock scenes over and over to entertain, Hollywood has lost it's way. But we already knew that.
Do they? The bulk of mass-marketed blockbusters all try to carry a PG-13 rating or lower so as to avoid alienating significant portions of the movie-going public, so if they are going "bigger and badder" every time then they're being very careful about it. In this regard, Deadpool is an anomaly and not the natural progression of any trend towards being "bigger and badder". It's got a relatively small budget compared to your average superhero movie ($58 million, as opposed to $200 million for the PG-13-rated X-Men: Days of Future Past - badder, but definitely not bigger), so the fact that it proved to be such an instantly colossal record-breaking hit was seriously unprecedented. Unfortunately, this means that it's liable to be imitated to hell and back by profit-minded producers who will try to replicate its more "mature" elements (last I heard, they're planning on making the next Wolverine film R-rated so the trend is already starting to take hold) but with potentially worse results than Deadpool itself.

For the record, I did not think Deadpool was very good in the first place so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one around here who sees through its nonsense.

It seems like most newer Hollywood movies I've seen are constructed with a PG rating storyline, but they then throw in a few f bombs to earn a PG-13 rating so that their profits go up. PG-13 films seem to make more money than PG films (at least I heard that once), unless the PG film of course is aimed at small children.

I watched The Act Of Killing a couple of years ago along with the rest of the cinephile world. Although I respected it a great deal and could appreciate Oppenheimer's work, it did not grab me on the emotional level that it seemed to so many others. That could be my fault, and I will return to it someday, but in the mean time The Look Of Silence did grab me on that level in every way. It has only been a few hours since I watched it but I think I already consider it the most harrowing film I have ever seen. I think the difference of significance for me is the point of view of the film. This time the point of view is entirely from the brother, Adi, of one of the victims. We sit with Adi as he watches the footage that Oppenheimer has shot of the men who killed his brother. As in the first film they are doing some recreation and seem oblivious to the impact of the genocide they have committed.

Not only do we see Adi watching this footage but we get to go on a journey with him. A journey that very few victims get the opportunity to go on. He gets the opportunity to confront many of the perpetrators of the horrible genocide that took place, and specifically men and family members who were directly responsible for his brother's death. It has to be pointed out that much of the emotional punch in this film comes from the fact that Adi appears to be one of the most humble and forgiving men you will ever see. He never shows anger although we can see the hurt all over his face. He does ask pointed questions when the perpetrators waffle, which they always do, down to a person. It is infinitely frustrating to see these men brag about ridding their country of communism only to then deny culpability once they find out who Adi is.

This isn't just unique to the perpetrators either. The family members also stick up for these men. Sometimes making excuses for them and sometimes outright denying they even knew about the killings. We also see some of them turn on Oppenheimer, which is quite a shift from The Act Of Killing. All along the journey Adi seems to simply want answers that he will never receive. One of the most heart wrenching moments is when he finds out his uncle was a guard for the men that were captured, including Adi's brother. He brings this information to his mother, who had no idea.

Adi's parents are also a significant part of the film. His father is 104 but thinks he is 16. He is unable to care for himself and is being taken care of mostly by Adi's mother. She is quick witted and brings some joy to the screen. When she learns what Adi is doing, she fears for his life. Afraid that if those in power know his intentions that he will meet the same fate as his brother. All these scenes cut me deeply. Each one bringing a weight and emotional impact I was not prepared for.

I won't say I love this film because I think that is doing the impact it has an injustice. I think this is an amazing feat in documentary film making. Oppenheimer's vision was incredible and I am pleased he has brought this story to us in this form. It makes me very excited to see what he has in store next

I have heard a lot of bad about this movie on podcasts. I thought there was plenty more good than bad. I am kind of a sucker for a crime flick, so that is to be expected I guess. The complaints came about the character motivations and plot. I didn't find either of those things to be lacking or unclear. In fact I was really invested through the whole film. I thought the plot was engaging and the characters good. The action is really well done. There are a couple of sequences that are amazing in my opinion. My problems come in the third act, which they tend to do in thrillers for me. It cops out in many ways. When movies do what this movie does in the third act I always feel like they don't have an intelligent way to write a good ending and that frustrates me. Overall, I certainly recommend this to fans of crime films.

Took my boys to see this on Saturday. Not top tier Disney but it is cute and funny at times. Good voice performances and excellent animation.

Glad you liked "Triple 9", because I liked it a lot. I wasn't bored at all what makes it better than many well acclaimed flicks already.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I think that's the first opinion on Zootopia I've seen that is even approaching negative. The response seems to have been massively positive. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, thought the trailers looked great

I caved and went. I sure wish I hadn't. Everything I thought this movie would be it was. All the humor was lost on me except for one Zamboni joke. Maybe it was because of the marketing or the word of mouth, but all of the swearing and sex felt forced. There was nothing natural or fun about any of it for me. The action was really bad in my opinion. I am not one to spot bad CGI in films, but all the action scenes here looked really poor to me. Except for a couple of cool uses of song this movie was simply not for me.

I havent seen the movie, but know of the character in comics. Even in his comic book hes like that, too much. The true funniest superhero of them all is Spider-Man.

My third Jarmusch, and he is becoming a director who's style I respond very positively too. That said, I have a hard time thinking I will love any of his films more than I loved this one. I had never even heard of Dead Man, or Jarmusch for that matter, until arriving on Mofo. This western has everything I look for in a film. It is a simple story littered with interesting characters. The protagonist is on a life changing journey, and that journey has spiritual elements. There is also a large amount of humor, which for me adds so much to the characters and feel of the film.

I say this story is simple, and the narrative itself is very simple. There is however a large amount to be mined from this film thematically. I am not going to even begin to tell you I understand everything that Jarmusch is trying to get across here. I have been thinking about the tobacco thing for over 24 hours now and I am no closer to understanding what in the world it is a metaphor for. I still love that aspect of the film though. Tobacco becomes a running gag and even though I never get the meaning behind it I still enjoy it.

I also don't know exactly what Jarmusch is trying to say about violence in Dead Man. He uses violence here exactly the way I like to see it used. Sparingly, but in jarring and graphic bursts. Blake Leaves a large amount of dead bodies in his wake on his journey. Like I said earlier he is on an obviously spiritual journey, to say it is a journey towards enlightenment would not be a stretch at all. For this reason I kept expecting the violence to eventually end, but if anything it ends up getting worse the farther along the journey he goes. I am not exactly sure what this means to the film thematically, but again I thing it is interesting to chew on and the not understanding never frustrates me the way it does in other films.

I have talked about the spiritual journey of Blake a couple of times. This is the most engaging aspect of the film. His relationship with Nobody is so great to watch. I love these kind of cryptic relationships where the wise man is teaching the protagonist life lessons and he doesn’t even realize it. Nobody is a great character and I was very pleased when he returned after leaving for a moment. The shot of Blake finding him again is also one of the best in the film. I won't say, so as not to ruin it, but I found the mind and eye tricks Jarmusch was playing there very fascinating.

Nobody isn't the only great secondary character in the film. In fact I can't think of a single character that I didn't enjoy. They are all acted very well, are interesting, and many of them are very funny. They all add something fascinating to Blake's journey and I love every single one. Depp as Blake is perfect. This is my favorite performance of his ever, and he is an actor that I have liked pretty well at times in his career.

I probably shouldn't talk about Dead Man without mentioning the score and cinematography. The electric guitar score is awesome. It is never over done and fits the tone of the film perfectly. I guess I should say it shapes the tone of the film perfectly. I also really liked the black and white cinematography. The movie looks amazing and there are some really incredible shots. The stroll through the white trees and the train at the beginning being the most memorable. There is a shot in this film that I hated. It is a quick shot but it sticks out like a sore thumb in a film I otherwise found perfect. It is when Blake falls out of the hotel window. We get a quick wide shot of the night sky and it couldn't look more artificial. It is similar to the helicopter shot in Rear Window. It is quick and doesn't mean much but I won't forget it and wish I could. Other than that I can't speak highly enough about the look of the film.

I am delighted to have a new favorite film to talk about and think about. I expected to like this movie but wasn't prepared for just how much I would love it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great review Sean even if I personally kind of hated Dead Man.

Awesome review Sean, I read it twice. I loved Dean Man and it was one of the first films I reviewed here, albeit mine was a very short review. You cover all the bases and I agree whole heartily with everything you said. I can't image this film without the character Nobody or the actor who played him, that goes for Depp too. I'm a Jim Jarmusch fan and I'm glad to see another convert

Master of My Domain
Great review Sean, I'm always glad when someone finds a new favorite. For some reason, it makes me happy. I haven't see it yet, but I look forward to it.

I love Dead Man too. Nice reading your review Sean. It's ages since I watched it and feel the need to again now

I'd not heard of The Look of Silence. I'd probably watch that one day. Thanks for the review Sean.

2013 Director: Don Scardino

Full disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight into the characters motivation, and to help us connect with them. Strike 1 and strike 2. Why would you spend 20 minutes of a comedy setting up your hero to be sympathetic to the audience if in the very next scene you plan on making him an unsympathetic egomaniac, inexplicable. Every single character in this movie except for Olivia Wilde's is played completely over the top. Correct that. Apparently they were told to play the character over the top, and then crank it up another notch.

Of course all of this is forgiveable in a comedy if it does the one thing that everyone expects, make us laugh. As you can probably already tell Wonderstone fails here as well. Two jokes landed for me in an hour and a half. When the name of Carrey's characters television show is revealed and the scene after the credits start rolling. Except for those not even a chuckle. It's the same way as I feel about The Office post Carell (in case your wondering why I'm a fan-boy).
I really don't see the correlation between this film and Anchorman.

Dead Man is a masterpiece, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it so much Sean, really a great film. It baffles me that people find it boring or whatever, I don't get why it's so polarising.

Welcome to the human race...
Dead Man is a masterpiece, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it so much Sean, really a great film. It baffles me that people find it boring or whatever, I don't get why it's so polarising.
It doesn't baffle me in the slightest. Dead Man is a masterpiece and all, but I wouldn't be surprised that its slow and off-kilter approach to the Western narrative would alienate viewers. Even though it's one of Jarmusch's most accessible films, he's most definitely not for everyone.

It doesn't baffle me in the slightest. Dead Man is a masterpiece and all, but I wouldn't be surprised that its slow and off-kilter approach to the Western narrative would alienate viewers. Even though it's one of Jarmusch's most accessible films, he's most definitely not for everyone.
That's the thing though. I'm aware that some people find films to be slow, dull, and that I don't. But I don't think Dead Man fits into this category of being this, or dreary, or dull. To be it seemed fast moving, full of energy and fun.