The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Quigley Down Under was my #4. I watched it for Alan Rickman and because I was interested in non-US westerns. Rickman is a brilliant villain, as always, but it was also a really enjoyable movie in a very 90s way that appealed to me.

Anyone else have it on their list?
Yes thruly one of my favorite specialy in the 90's where western lost alot of interest by the public and turn the western movie into comedy or direct to video. It was a real chalange and little riscky at this time to make a good western.

We have a Cinerama in Seattle, but it's been closed since February, maybe permanently.

Seattle’s Cinerama closing for renovations; many on staff laid off
Loner have you ever been there to see a movie? I'd been meaning to for the longest time, but never did. I hope it can reopen someday, it would be a shame to lose something so historically important.

Now that it's all over, here's my voting list:

1. Stars in My Crown (1950)
2. Johnny Guitar (1954)
3. The Searchers (1956)
4. Canyon Passage (1946)
5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
6. Wichita (1955)
7. The Sun Shines Bright (1953)
8. Black God, White Devil (1964)
9. Stranger on Horseback (1955)
10. Sergeant Rutledge (1960)
11. Red River (1948)
12. Wagon Master (1950)
13. Winchester '73 (1950)
14. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
15. Great Day in the Morning (1956)
16. Dead Man (1995)
17. The Furies (1950)
18. My Darling Celmentine (1946)
19. 3 Godfathers (1948)
20. The Shooting (1966)
21. Fort Apache (1948)
22. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
23. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
24. The Man from Laramie (1955)
25. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)

Loner have you ever been there to see a movie? I'd been meaning to for the longest time, but never did. I hope it can reopen someday, it would be a shame to lose something so historically important.
I made it up there when I lived in Portland, OR. I saw Windjammer.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've seen at least forty different movies there, maybe fifty. Including 2001: A Space Odyssey in the Cinerama format twice. I would try to see all the 70MM films there.

Keeping it relevant to the topic. I've seen The Revenant and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at Seattle Cinerama.

Yep, seventy feet of Lee Van Cleef.

Also I was wrong about him appearing in the most Westerns, I believe it was seven.

A system of cells interlinked
Just catching up with all the recent posts.

Thanks to Holden Pike for an amazing countdown. I also enjoyed reading all the MoFo takes on all the films from the list. I have a big list of Westerns to catch up on, which I will continue to chip away at whenever I can.

Happy trails to you, MoFo!

Addendum: Looks like I am currently at 45% seen. I need to work on that!

Destry rides again was also very good and for sure in my top 100.

This was yet again an amazingly well run and visualized countdown. Thanks a lot, @Holden Pike!

This was my top 25 list:

1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
2) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
3) Rio Bravo (1959)
4) Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
5) McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
7) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
8) The Searchers (1956)
9) There Will Be Blood (2007)
10) The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
11) The Hateful Eight (2015)
12) The Wild Bunch (1969)
13) Django Unchained (2012)
14) High Plain Drifters (1973)
15) Dead Man (1995)
16) Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
17) For a Few Dollars More (1965)
18) The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
19) The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
20) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
21) High Noon (1952)
22) Stagecoach (1939)
23) My Darling Clementine (1946)
24) Little Big Man (1970)
25) Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976)

Needless to say, I'm very glad with how the list turned out. Only my #25 didn't make it, but it did make the one pointer list.

Let's end this thread with a tribute to Ennio Morricone, who is undoubtedly the greatest western film composer of all time, if not the greatest film composer in general. He and Leone truly lifted the western genre to heights it will likely never see again...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
They should cancel him and remove the film from history

Welcome to the human race...
Another interpretation is that Tuco and Blondie were exaggerating or fabricating crimes in order to jack up the bounty.

Da fu?!

Alan Van Cleef tells the story about the time his dad took him and his two siblings to Knott’s Berry Farm, a California theme park. One of the most popular features is a train ride that includes masked robbers hopping aboard the train, waving guns and engaging in a mock holdup that includes a heavy dose of comedy.

“He was sitting on the aisle,” Alan Van Cleef said. “I remember it vividly. Here come the guys to rob everybody on the train. They see him and they just stop, turn around and leave.”

Hot off the presses and in my mailbox! Kino Lorber's brand new, long-awaited Blu-Ray release of the 4K restoration of The Grey Fox (#66). Includes an audio commentary track by Alex Cox, on-camera interviews with the producer Peter O'Brian and composer Michael Conway Baker, a featurette about the restoration process, and the re-release trailer.

Gnarly

Entry

#10. The Alamo (2004)

#9. The Cowboys (1972)

#8. Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)

Mexico & Mariachis

#7. The Mercenary (1968)

#6. Viva Zapata! (1952)

#5. One-Eyed Jacks (1961)

#4. Django (1966)

Django Forever

#3. El Dorado (1966)