21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I nominated it in a previous HOF, but I think raul was the only person who participated in that one that is also participating in this one.
I was also in it

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think you’re misremembering. I nominated it in the Fifth Hall of Fame.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=37178
Hmm, I watched it because of Mofo I thought. Maybe not.

Suspect's Reviews

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Pretty Baby (1978) pahaK Never heard of it

Being There (1979) Siddon Never heard of it.

The Breakfast Club (1985) Citizen Rules Lovely movie that I am looking forward to rewatch. And my bet to win this thing.

Moonstruck (1987) edarsenal Never heard of it

Dark City (1998) wyldesyde19 Never heard of it

Quills (2000) Miss Vicky Watched it 1 year ago, it's pretty good. i'm curious to see how it will do here.

Wedding Crashers (2005) rauldc14 i always considered one of those cheap comedies you watch on a lazy sunday. i watched bits of it on various occasions but never the whole thing.

The Tree of Life (2011)
ahwell I won't rewatch this one cause I was involved in an essay about it last year so I remember it very well... I'd say this is a modern 2001: A Space Odyssey. It won't do well here but i'm willing to bet this is the most perfect film of this HoF by a landslide. It's art cinema at its peak.

The Hunt (Jagten) (2012) neiba @Citizen Rules is right. This is the second time I nominate this. I never got to see how much MoFos like it or not cause i had to give up on the HoF. It won't happen again, but if by any chance did, i think we can say that the film is cursed.

Pride (2014) The Usual Suspect Never heard of it.

An interesting set of movies with some surprising choices. I have seen 4 and a half, 3 of them are huge favourites, and there's a lot of unknown films. Maybe I can find some hidden gem.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Pretty Baby (1978)
Nominated by: pahaK
Like CR, I was very curious about this when it came out; should be a very good watch

Being There (1979)
Nominated by: Siddon
I had seen this in 9th Grade with a strong love for his Pink Panther role and his cameos on Laugh-In and was surprised at the complete difference of the role. About a decade ago, having learned of his hatred of playing a buffoon (The Inspector) and that this was a film he had wanted to do for a very long time I rewatched it with much more appreciation and a more open mind.
Looking forward to a rewatch.

The Breakfast Club (1985)
Nominated by: Citizen Rules
Been a few decades since my last watch of this; it should be a lot of fun.

Moonstruck (1987)
Nominated by: edarsenal
I had watched this dozen of times when it came out and re-watched it the night I decided to go with it. LOVED Olympia Dukakis in this and still do.

Dark City (1998)
Nominated by: wyldesyde19
HUGE fan of this. I own the Director's Cut. Great to have a reason to see it again.

Quills (2000)
Nominated by: Miss Vicky
meh

@Miss Vicky

Wedding Crashers (2005)
Nominated by: rauldc14
TBH I'm seriously dreading this one. Sorry raul

The Tree of Life (2011)
Nominated by: ahwell
Have not heard of this but I am intrigued

The Hunt (Jagten) (2012)
Nominated by: neiba
Haven't seen this but DO remember the talk regarding this film. Should be both harrowing and incredible

Pride (2014)
Nominated by: The Usual Suspect
Have not heard of this but looks very worthwhile
~Mr Minio

Dark City (1998)
HUGE fan of this. I own the Director's Cut. Great to have a reason to see it again.
Is the director's cut longer? How does it compare to the theatrical release?

@Wyldesyde19 have you seen the director's cut? Opinions? Just wondering which version to watch.

Dark City (1998)

@Wyldesyde19 have you seen the director's cut? Opinions? Just wondering which version to watch.
I’ve been told directors cut is the better one by far, so that’s what I’ll be watching (unless Wyldesyde19 cares which one).

If possible, I actually recommend watching the opening of Dark City's theatrical cut, then switching to the director's cut after. The voice over is unnecessary, but I think the opening sequence is far more interesting in that version.

WARNING: "Opening Difference" spoilers below
The theatrical cut has everyone suddenly falling asleep at the exact same time, which is a bit creepy. The director's cut just has a guy checking his watch. If you've seen the original version, you know why he's worried about the time. If you haven't, then it lacks context and doesn't have that same air of mystery.

The trick is not minding

Dark City (1998)

I’d have to double check but I’m pretty sure I own the directors cut.
I’ve seen both, but it’s been so long, Since I’ve seen the original version, I can’t Accurately compare. The last several growing have been of the directors cut, if indeed I own it.
It doesn’t matter to me which version you watch unless there is a need to

Wedding Crashers is my #4 comedy since the start of the 90's behind Beerfest, The Hangover, and Old School. It doesn't get much better if it's the type of comedy you like.

I'm not a big fan of historical costume drama types, but Quills is one of the best I've seen. Oddly enough it has one of the funniest scenes I've seen in any movie.

Saw Dark City once and couldn't get into it. It's really not my type but I would try it again.

I'm not generally a fan of rom-coms either, but Moonstruck is one of the best I've seen.

Saw The Hunt twice. Didn't love it as much the second time but it's a great movie.

I love 70's Hal Ashby and nominated one of his movies before (Coming Home). The only one I wasn't a big fan of was Being There. I was surprised because I've always thought of it as his most well known and most highly acclaimed. It should do well here.

There are movies that I think are the best representatives of their decades; Easy Rider for the 60's, Saturday Night Fever for the 70's, and The Breakfast Club for the 80's. A total classic that'd most likely be my #1 here.

I will definitely watch Tree of Life and I'll see about Pretty Baby and Pride.

The Tree of Life

I'll do my own nomination first, as it's the only one I've seen and I won't be rewatching it because it was only a month or two back. To me this is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and my fourth favorite of the 2010s. I haven't seen anything else by Malick but I'm really looking forward to his stuff now (especially A Hidden Life). Brad Pitt gives his best performance in my opinion, and the rest of the acting is great too. The cinematography and visuals are absolutely eye popping, I mean, some of the best I've ever seen. This movie could have been a pretentious mess, and in many ways it can verge on pretentious, but Malick holds it all together with believable characters, moments of both life and death, and an overall feeling of pure wonder at existence. Just incredible.

-

Pretty Baby

This film wasn't really for me. I liked the first hour and thought the slice of life parts were set up really well. It kind of reminded me of the Florida Project.

However, the second half, most notably when Violet gets involved with Belloq, really goes down hill. I think the characters make decisions that they wouldn't have at the beginning, the plot becomes unrealistic, and it just drags.

It was an interesting watch, but not something I really want to return to.

+

I requested Dark City from my library so I'll have to see which version it comes with, but it might be worth seeking out the Director's Cut. Even though I generally haven't liked Director's Cuts.

The trick is not minding
I requested Dark City from my library so I'll have to see which version it comes with, but it might be worth seeking out the Director's Cut. Even though I generally haven't liked Director's Cuts.
You know, I’ve watched both the original and directors cut of Apocalypse Now Redux and I much preferred the original version. Have not seen the latest version. So I understand what you’re talking about.
I own all three versions of Close Encounters of the Third Kind but have yet to watch them all. I wonder how those are?
And I haven’t watched all...what is it, 4 versions of Blade Runner?

You know, I’ve watched both the original and directors cut of Apocalypse Now Redux and I much preferred the original version. Have not seen the latest version. So I understand what you’re talking about.
I own all three versions of Close Encounters of the Third Kind but have yet to watch them all. I wonder how those are?
And I haven’t watched all...what is it, 4 versions of Blade Runner?
Yup 4 versions of Blade Runner on the Blu-Ray set. I think the worst Director's Cut I've seen is Dune. I like Dune but only in the original theatrical cut. As far as Blade Runner goes I'm totally a fan of the original theatrical cut and I hate the so called Final Cut of Blade Runner.