Cobpyth's Film Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I thought you'd like Submarine, like you say it is very Anderson esque with its quirky style, and I find the uncomfortable lead character is probably easily related to with his life issues, I also love the soundtrack from Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys. Ayoade seems like an intelligent and very promising director, I want to see his film from this year, The Double which has also been well received, I think he's actually a Woody Allen fan too which will please you
Yes, I already added The Double to my watchlist solely based on seeing Submarine. He was so playful with his shots and seemed so 'in control' with everything, that I can't imagine him doing anything bad after such a wonderful debut. As long as he doesn't lose the energy that he was able to capture in this film, his future in cinema should be very interesting. I'll definitely follow his career.
I read that he's also a big fan of Tarantino. Seems like a great guy!

@Seanc: Be sure to let us know your opinion about it!

Yes, I already added The Double to my watchlist solely based on seeing Submarine. He was so playful with his shots and seemed so 'in control' with everything, that I can't imagine him doing anything bad after such a wonderful debut. As long as he doesn't lose the energy that he was able to capture in this film, his future in cinema should be very interesting. I'll definitely follow his career.
I read that he's also a big fan of Tarantino. Seems like a great guy!
Yeh check out his S&S list, seems to have good cinematic knowledge/taste which seems to be reflected in his confident/controlled style - http://explore.bfi.org.uk/sightandso...012/voter/1142

Re: Muriel's Wedding. ABBA was extremely kitch/camp back in the early 90's. This is before/on the cusp of 70's nostalgia.

Re Napoleon Dynamite. I managed 45 minutes and I wouldn't have even bothered had I not been round a friend's who'd been told it was "hysterical". I'd have happily beheaded any and all of the characters at any time of the 45 minutes I saw.

Have you ever watched Girls, Cobpyth? I think you'd like it.

You mean the TV series? No I haven't.
Yes, that's the one.
He watches girls all the time.

From the bushes.

With binoculars.

And a camera.
I knew someone would do this. Merry Christmas, Rodent.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I love Submarine and Garden State. Got to say though that I'm in the HK camp in regards to Napoelon Dynamite. Have rarely been more disappointed with a film after such a massive build-up. I have however been considering giving it another shot in recent years as I no longer remember a single thing about it.

I think he's actually a Woody Allen fan too which will please you
Well that's the first thing I've heard about Ayoade that I don't like!

Carnage (2011)

Polanski's darkly comic Carnage succeeds due to four brilliant performances - especially Christoph Waltz is quite hilarious - and an interesting 'character dehulling' script. As the film proceeds, all the masks fall off and no character is left unexposed. This film is great fun and interesting to analyze afterwards.

-----------------------------------------------
Cruel Intentions (1999)

This film starts off pretty promising and above all, very sexy (Sarah Michelle Gellar is HOT)! It's a shame the film oddly falls apart completely towards the end, when it tries to make a certain moral statement in an uncomfortably emotional and ultimately unfittingly overexposing way.
I still very much enjoyed the first part of the film, but together with its characters, the film totally crashes at the end, in my opinion. I can see why some people may like it, but story-wise, that last part was definitely not my cup of tea.
I appreciated the edgy style of the film, though. My problems with it are strictly story-wise.

Paper Moon (1973)

This is a very charming comedy with a lovely classic feeling to it. The chemistry between Ryan and Tatum O'Neal is perfect and the latter gives one of the very best child performances I've ever seen on a screen (possibly even THE best). She rightfully is the youngest Oscar winner in history.
Wonderful, relaxing and touching film. See it!

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

This pitch black comedy portrays the ultimate highschool nightmare. With a practically unseen pessimistic and mean tone, this film follows Dawn Wiener, a bullied and unloved girl who tries to find a way to fight her destiny of being a bullied outlaw for the rest of her highschool years, but only ends up in a much bigger mess. On her journey towards more appreciation from the people around her, she only seems to make things worse...
I liked the idea of this film and I thought it was pretty well executed. I enjoyed this funny film that demonstrates the cruelty of life, especially if you're not lucky.

(+)

The Rescuers (1977)

This Disney Classic has a nice vintage look, a deliciously dark atmosphere, a cool villain, a decent enough storyline and some good comedy.
It's a lot of fun and the story was engaging enough to make me care about what was happening. This film deserves its place amongst the other praised Disney Classics, without being one of the very best.

The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

This sequel obviously had a higher production quality than the first film, but although it is in no way a bad film, it lacked some of the charm of the first movie, both story-wise and atmospherically. This is definitely a personal feeling, though. If you like action-oriented films better than more intimate films, you might like this one better than its predecessor.
It's still a solid film, but story-wise it is very 'by the book' without adding anything truly refreshing or being particularly clever (the story takes a few questionable turns), except perhaps a few nicely executed flying sequences.

(+)

Oh wow The Rescuers! I've not seen those films since I was a wee young nipper. Would love to see them again actually. Only seen Paper Moon and Cruel Intentions once but really enjoying both of them, especially Paper Moon.

Blithe Spirit (1945)

This British comedy, directed by the great David Lean, is very amusing. The film handles 'the supernatural' in a daring, yet very funny way, without ever becoming overly dramatic about the topic. This film stays loyal to its lightweight tone during the whole ride, even when the story gets darker in content.
I also loved the performances of both Kay Hammond, who plays the first (dead) wife, and Rex Harrison.
It's a very enjoyable film with a few unexpected turns. This film doesn't really aim to challenge the audience intellectually with its seemingly heavy topic and concept, but it rather wants to entertain us with some very funny and original situations and its witty dialogue.
Definitely worth watching if you're in the mood for some vintage fun!

Dark City (1998)

This Sci-Fi film satisfied me both thematically and visually! I was completely taken by this film.
The film starts out as some sort of weird, psychological mystery, while it slowly becomes clear that everything is actually a part of a greater concept.
For me, this film worked BRILLIANTLY as a metaphor for the philosophical searching mind. The obsession of finding the true meaning behind 'life' and 'humanity' is depicted in a very original and efficient manner and it offers the audience, next to the mind challenging philosophical concept, also a very entertaining and thrilling noir-like story.
Intellectually, this is a much more interesting film than The Matrix if you ask me. It may not have the cool fight sequences, but it still has a lot of action for people who are just looking for adrenalin.
The ending of this film is also a defendable one. The message seems to be to step out of the 'dark city' full of thoughts and constructions that try to analyze the incomprihensible and start living in a more liberated way, enjoying 'futilities' like love and the sight of the sea and the sun, without having to clash every time with the frustrating boarders of our limited mind.
I also quite liked the use of cuts in this film. Normally I'm not a big fan of films with many cuts and short shot lengths, as it makes the film less fluently, but it fits the whole concept pretty well here.
Great film! A must watch for Sci-Fi fans!

+

Romeo + Juliet (1996)

This modern interpretation of the classic Shakespeare play by Baz Luhrmann is visually over the top and starts off quite strange if you aren't prepared for it, but once you're used to the concept, it is actually an enjoyable and even engaging film! DiCaprio and Claire Danes are very good and have great chemistry together, in my opinion.
The end result is a romantic, energetic, visually original and entertaining film!

(+)

Night On Earth (1991)

Jarmusch' tribute to the night is a lovely one. The film consists of five short stories in five major cities (L.A., New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki), that are all focused on the experiences of a cab driver and his/her client(s). All the stories are set on the same 'night on earth'.
The tales have in common that they all tackle some kind of social or personal issue and that they all have a certain comical undertone. The stories mix these elements in very different ways though, which provides every part of the film with its own atmosphere and tone.

Los Angeles - A young female, chain smoking, gum chewing taxi driver (played by Winona Ryder) picks up an older casting woman (Gena Rowlands). While talking a little bit about life, the woman starts noticing a certain rare spontaneous quality in the girl. Intuitively, she offers the young cab driver a chance at a totally different life than the girl actually had in mind for herself.

New York - A black man has troubles finding a cab who wants to drive him to Brooklyn. Suddenly a foreign taxi driver stops for him, but it is soon clear that he doesn't know how to handle his car.

Paris - A black taxi driver throws out two drunk high society black men who are making jokes about him. Then he picks up a strange female passenger that lets him see certain things from different perspectives, despite the fact that she's blind.

Rome - A joking cab driver (Roberto Benigni) is driving madly through the narrow alleys of Rome. He picks up a Priest that doesn't seem completely alright.

Helsinki - A visibly sad man drives around Helsinki in his cab and picks up three very drunk men. One of them is even unconscious. After hearing what happened to the drunkenly sleeping man that day, the driver tells his own sad, heart breaking story.

Great film that I recommend watching alone at night, when you're not able to fall asleep or something like that.

(-)

The Band Wagon (1953)

This highly praised musical is one of the best in its genre for sure! It explores the fine line between 'true art' and entertainment and ends up as a brilliant mix of the two. While the story is already very strong, it is the exceptional quality of the musical sequences that make this film so special. First of all there is of course the famous 'Dancing in the Dark' scene. BRILLIANT! There's only music during that scene, but the sexual and romantic attraction between Fred Astaire and Cys Charisse is presented in such an artistically beautiful and engaging way that words aren't needed.
Besides that scene, there are lots of other great musical scenes, such as the beginning scene and the portraying of the songs 'That's Entertainment', 'New Sun in the Sky', 'Triplets', Louisiana Hayride, etc.
My favorite moment of the film was near the ending, though. It is a sequence called: "Girl Hunt" A Murder Mystery in Jazz. It became instantly one of my top 5 musical moments of all time. WHAT A SCENE! It's a wonderful ode to film noir and a wonderful piece of art on itself. I absolutely adored it. After I finished the film, I rewatched it like three times. SENSATIONAL!
This film is truly one of the greatest musicals ever made.

+

The Gay Divorcee (1934)

This is another delightful escapist musical featuring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Just like their other pictures, this film leans upon a plotline that features a certain misunderstanding.
It is again the charm and the charism of the two performers and the wonderfully inventive musical set pieces that make this film so much fun to watch. Adorable and classic!

I love R+J and Blithe Spirit. R+J, especially, as it's near the top of my 100. Well, top 30, anyway, and used to be #2.

I really like Cruel Intentions, too, and think it's a lot better than many give it credit for. I'd recommend Dangerous Liaisons, if you've not seen it. It's an 80's film, too.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Killer.

I love R+J and Blithe Spirit. R+J, especially, as it's near the top of my 100. Well, top 30, anyway, and used to be #2.
Yes, your placement of R+J is mainly why I watched it. It was on TV and I remembered that you spoke so highly of it, so I recorded it and watched it a day later.

I'd recommend Dangerous Liaisons, if you've not seen it. It's an 80's film, too.
I already have it watchlisted, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch it before the deadline. I have exams coming up and all that.

Looking forward to your thoughts on The Killer.
Just watched it and well, what did you expect? AWESOME film with a very strong and engaging plot (in my opinion) and some of the coolest scenes I've ever witnessed. John Woo really knows how to direct shoot outs. I already enjoyed his work in Face/Off, but this was of a different level.
I'll be more detailed in my review of the film, but I really liked it. It's definitely a contender to make my '80s list.

Yes, your placement of R+J is mainly why I watched it. It was on TV and I remembered that you spoke so highly of it, so I recorded it and watched it a day later.
Cool. Glad that you enjoyed it.

I already have it watchlisted, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch it before the deadline. I have exams coming up and all that.
I doubt that it'd make your list, but I hope you like it when you see it.

Just watched it and well, what did you expect? AWESOME film with a very strong and engaging plot (in my opinion) and some of the coolest scenes I've ever witnessed. John Woo really knows how to direct shoot outs. I already enjoyed his work in Face/Off, but this was of a different level.
I'll be more detailed in my review of the film, but I really liked it. It's definitely a contender to make my '80s list.
Yep, that's pretty much what I expected. Do see Hard Boiled, if you've not. If you want to see Woo 'unleashed', as it were, then you have to watch his HK output. I'd recommend A Better Tomorrow and A Better Tomorrow II.

I absolutely love NOTORIOUS...the film contains my absolute favorite Ingrid Bergman performance. Also nice to see some love for BLOW-OUT...one of Brian De Palma's best film and easily, Nancy Allen's finest work.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

Just saw this in the theater with a few friends of mine.
DiCaprio and Scorsese are freaking CLASS ACTS!

First of all, this film was absolutely HILARIOUS. It's been a very long time since I laughed so much with a movie. That lemmon scene between DiCaprio and Jonah Hill must be one of the funniest things ever put on screen, while still being oddly tragic at the same time. Brilliant stuff!

Second of all, the story the film is telling is extremely daring and haunting. This film explores if it's really more fun to dance with the devil than to kneel for the lord. It doesn't feed the audience with an obvious, preachy message, but instead of that, it offers a 'dilemma' between doing the right thing, but living an ordinary life or immersing yourself in immoral excess and ultimately (if it ever comes to that) getting confronted with the consequences of your actions.
The film also is a great comment on the greed of humanity and the materialistic focus of our society and (sometimes) our personalities.

Third of all, HOW EPIC IS JONAH HILL in this film? DiCaprio was absolutely stellar, but Jonah Hill's performance is also one for the ages. He's completely over the top, but he does it very, VERY well! An absolute pleasure to watch. The rest of the cast was also really good, of course.

The only (very) small criticism I have, is that the story is told in a rather shattered way. This film is three hours long and it's very eventful and full of great moments, but sometimes it doesn't feel as 'wholesome' as, for example, Goodfellas. It doesn't have that ingenious, unique and seemingly effortless 'flow' that Scorsese's best film so perfectly possesed.

Nevertheless this is one of the greatest movies of this decade so far and it's by far the best collaboration between Scorsese and DiCaprio. I like their other four films together, but this one is of another level, in my opinion.

I strongly recommend seeing this risky and hugely satisfying piece of film! You won't be disappointed!

(+)

I knew you would love this movie dude! It may not be AS good as Goodfellas, but dammit all to Hell it is pretty bloody close! And funny to boot! Glad you liked it!

And you are spot on with Marty and Leo working together and Jonah Hill is HILARIOUS! Someone better get an Oscar nod for best supporting actor, either him or McConaughey!

All That Jazz (1979)

Incredible film! I really need to watch this one again sometime in the future to really grab it to the fullest, but what a great piece of cinema this is!

It has great music, entertaining choreographies and wonderful decors. It's full with great performances (ESPECIALLY Roy Scheider in the leading role is absolutely magnificent), it has a wonderfully witty script and while it exhibits a lot of dramatic stuff, the film never ceases to ridicule every single situation in a cynical and audacious way. The dramatic sting still pierces through though, and inbetween all the crazy stuff, there's a satisfying existential core that kept me focused on the 'story' that's being told, until the very last second.

This film is without a doubt the wildest musical film I've ever witnessed. The bold editing provides an omnifarious pace and constantly makes the viewer switch gears. Some people may think that the film gets kind of messy because of that in some parts, but I thought it worked very well, especially after getting used to it within the first 20 or so minutes.

Watch this very acclaimed '70s musical film as soon as you're in the mood for something wacky and energetic! You won't regret it.

(+)

American Hustle (2013)

I was extremely excited to see this film for months, but some people's reactions to it were downgrading my expectations a little bit, so I went in hoping it would be good and still expecting it to be good, but I didn't truly count on something truly exceptional anymore.

After seeing it on the silver screen a few hours ago, I can now say this: American Hustle is a PHENOMENAL film and it should have no problems becoming an American crime classic in the future.
The plot is probably the weakest thing about the film, although I still very much enjoyed it, but all the other aspects were brilliant! The fluent camera work, the AMAZING soundtrack, the characters, the script, the atmosphere, the performances, the sets, etc. It's all done in such a tasteful and skillful way, that I found myself constantly admiring everything that David O. Russell and his cast were showcasting me. Truly impressive work!

While the plot has a few flaws superficially and gets a little bit confusing sometimes, I found myself enjoying all the small elements in this film that show how people are getting conned by eachother all the time, even on the most basic levels. We all do it, because we want to survive in this modern society and sometimes telling a lie for your own good is just a necessity. The two main characters of American Hustle are taking this philosophy a little too far, though, and they get into trouble because of it. It seems like a very basic premise, but the film handles it in quite an interesting and intelligent way, in my opinion.

For a plot-driven film, American Hustle also contains a vast amount of very richly sketched characters, which is very rare these days. At the end of this film, I felt like I knew all the important characters quite well, while most of them still kept a certain intriguing mystery around them, which I appreciated immensely.

American Hustle is a wonderful '70s ride with a solid enough plot that is elevated to something truly remarkable, because it is portrayed in an exciting, beautiful and intriguing way. Some people say it looks very much like a Scorsese film and I definitely get the comparison. This film also has that same fluency and stylishness to it.

It's not my favorite film of the year (at this point), but it's definitely top 5 material. I had a blast!

+

What the hell are you doing up here Cobby? Man they really will let anyone into the Member Reviews area these days! Standards are definitely dropping!

But seriously welcome my brother in reviewing arms. While I obviously didn't agree entirely about American Hustle I'm glad you enjoyed it and nice job on the review.