The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Henry Thomas, Robert MacNaughton, Drew Barrymore

I've never understood why so many people love E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. I didn't find it engaging when I was a kid, and unfortunately this recent viewing hasn't changed that. Nothing about it really draws me in, which causes its nearly 2 hour runtime to feel twice as long as it is. I don't deny that it's an incredibly well-made film, but this kind of sentimentality just seems to be completely lost on me. When you don't care about any of the characters, its difficult to get invested in what happens to them.

While I personally dislike everything about the actual design of E.T., the practical effects work really holds up. The size of the alien is a little inconsistent at times, but it's incredibly impressive how realistic it still looks 38 years after its initial release. The CG used for the flying bicycle scenes doesn't fair as well, but that's a minor complaint given how timeless the rest of the film feels. The performances are quite good as well, especially considering how young the main actors were at the time.

Many scenes are framed incredibly well. It's interesting how we don't see the government agents properly until they arrive at the house, instead they're shot in silhouette or only from the waist down. I like how the film builds tension, both with the adults and with E.T. himself. I'd forgotten a lot about the film in the years since I last saw it, and was honestly a little surprised at the inclusion of some foul language and a scene of under age intoxication. Unfortunately that was the only emotion I felt while watching E.T., so for now this will remain a classic that's clearly not meant for me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	et.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	66192  

DragonHeart (Rob Cohen 1996)

'A fun watch, with a colorful bad guy and a cool looking dragon too.' CR

DragonHeart reminded me of the opening scene in The Good The Bad and The Ugly where Clint Eastwood captures and turns in a wanted outlaw, Eli Wallach...After collecting the reward money, and as Eli is about to be hanged, Eastwood then shoots the rope and sets Eli free, galloping away on horseback to another town, for the same trick.

Visually DragonHeart was impressive, such cool sets that were real and built on location. I couldn't find the screenshot I wanted...it's of the water filled rock quarry with enslaved town's folks mining the rock from high up on wooden scaffolding. There was also a long floating bridge over the pond. Pretty cool stuff! So was the castle ruins and the countryside of Slovakia where it was filmed.

I was taken aback at first by Sean Connery's voice coming out of the dragon. The sound mix was such that Connery's voice boomed as if he was standing behind my tv set. Now the last thing I want is a middle-aged Scottsman getting tangled up in all those HDMI cables!

So after awhile I got use to the dragon sounding like Connery, though I wish they would've digitally mixed his voice so that it sounded more raspy with snorty gasps, you know like a dragon would make.

The highlight for me was David Thewlis as the evil, bully king who delighted in being mean, really mean! He alone made the movie and was my favorite character. Dennis Quad was OK, I think his character needed to be punched up more and played larger than life. Dina Meyer was OK too, she didn't get to do much, though she had a fair amount of lines. I liked her better in Starship Troopers.

Let's see, what else can I talk about? oh I guess that's it.

Attachments

Name:	MV5BNzVmNjUwZGQtNDU5My00ZjA1LWEyN2QtNzk0NzNiNDE2YTE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_SX1777_CR0,.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	66216  

. Dina Meyer was OK too, she didn't get to do much, though she had a fair amount of lines. I liked her better in Starship Troopers.
I think Starship Troopers was a terrible movie, just as bad as Jeepers Creepers.

I think Starship Troopers was a terrible movie, just as bad as Jeepers Creepers.
A lot of people don't like it. But I think Starship Troopers is one of the most dynamic films ever made. It's truly multi dimensional.

A lot of people don't like it. But I think Starship Troopers is one of the most dynamic films ever made. It's truly multi dimensional.
The bug at the end looks like a woman's *****... how horrible is that?

I was a little surprised by how perfect David Thewlis was as Einon, whose look and manner of speaking make his character easy to despise. The acting is occasionally a little over-the-top, but it suits the tone of the film just fine.
I didn't recognize the actor while I was watching the movie and we kept thinking he sounded like David Werner, who I really like. Only after did I look it up at IMDB and see the actor was in Naked...a film I didn't like!

I didn't even notice the difference in the accents, and CGI never bothers me, unless it's so bad that it looks like a bad cartoon.

I agree with you about the music score. I rarely even notice the music in movies (that aren't musicals), but for some reason, I kept noticing it in this movie, and I thought it just made the movie even better.
I thought the CGI was amazing, especially for 25 years ago. I don't think they could've made the dragon look any better than they did today.

As far as the music score, I don't usually notice it either unless it's over powering and I never felt that it was. However in LotR the music was way over powering at times.

You've also got some solid propaganda as the film is focused on racial messaging through metaphor./quote]I didn't notice any racial metaphor. What was it and how was it presented?

It certainly isn't a film where I expected our tastes to align. It's probably my second favorite Verhoeven after Robocop.

Tideland (Terry Gilliam 2005)

What the hell!!! I actually liked this film! and I had expected to hate it!

I really liked the first half, which I'd rate a 5/5, it was near perfect. The first scene in the house with mom and dad junkies was actually pretty cool (the house was as awesome set too). I loved the character Jennifer Tilly created. It was a blast how she moans & bitches with her screechy voice while laying in bed like a doped out slug...Then she hugs her daughter, telling her she loves her and will do something special for her one day....But when the little girl tries to grab her stash of chocolate bars mom hauls off and wallops her and calls her a little bitch...Oh my! I thought that was actually funny because it seemed like a moment from a black comedy and a lampoon on a deeply messed up family of junkies. If I had taken these people as real then it wouldn't have been so comical.

Jodelle Ferland was a really amazing actress in this. She was so natural and could convey all sorts of emotions, that adult actors would have had a problem portraying. I loved the creative use of the doll heads! And Jodelle Ferland did all the voices too. That was pure genius on Terry Gilliam's part. It was like the little girl had multiple personalities and the doll heads was her conduit to escaping reality.

Oh, the old house in the sweeping wheat fields, wow what a cool location that was! I don't know why but it was even more interesting when the dad OD and she was left on her own. It was interesting how she kept talking to him and dressing him up all the while he was decomposing and she either wouldn't admit it to herself or didn't know what the horrible stink was.

The second half of the film with the introduction of Dickens and Dell, was too over the top for me and I lost some interest. Terry Gilliam like Wes Anderson and so many other directors often go way over the top in the last part of the movie. I guess that's what most people want, but not me. The whole body preserving and creepy Dell character was too much.

I was not comfortable with the more sexual suggestive scenes between Je-liza Rose and Dickens. I don't think they were needed in the story eiether. In fact Dell and Dickens weren't needed as the actress who played the little girl could've done this as a one person show and pulled it off, that might have earned this film critical acclaim, hell it might have even earned Jodelle an Oscar nomination.

The film could've ended with her either alone in the house with the rotting corpse of her dad or with someone coming to take her away. The ending with the train didn't do much for me.

Good nom.
Attachments

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-07-15 19-43-18.png
Views:	446
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	66220  

Well, prepare to be surprised again
Now I know what you meant with this. Still, I'm way more surprised that you like Starship Troopers than you liking Tideland. I'm glad that at least someone liked my nom

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Starring: Henry Thomas, Robert MacNaughton, Drew Barrymore

While I personally dislike everything about the actual design of E.T., the practical effects work really holds up. The size of the alien is a little inconsistent at times, but it's incredibly impressive how realistic it still looks 38 years after its initial release.
Just out of curiosity, did you see pictures or video of E.T. (the character, not the movie), before you saw the full movie?

The reason that I'm asking this is because back in 1982, when the movie was released, Spielberg was very careful to make sure that no pictures of the alien were released before the movie was in the theaters. The only thing we saw before seeing the full movie was his finger.

In interviews, he said that the reason for this was because he wanted people to fall in love with the character before being turned off by his looks.

I really wanted to like E.T. more this time around, but alas that wasn't the case. Sorry if that post bummed you out GBG.
It makes me sad that you didn't enjoy the movie, but you're entitled to your opinion.

DragonHeart (Rob Cohen 1996)

'A fun watch, with a colorful bad guy and a cool looking dragon too.' CR

I was taken aback at first by Sean Connery's voice coming out of the dragon. The sound mix was such that Connery's voice boomed as if he was standing behind my tv set. Now the last thing I want is a middle-aged Scottsman getting tangled up in all those HDMI cables!

So after awhile I got use to the dragon sounding like Connery, though I wish they would've digitally mixed his voice so that it sounded more raspy with snorty gasps, you know like a dragon would make.

I liked Sean Connery's voice as the voice of the dragon. I can almost picture Sean Connery as a cool looking dragon, so it just felt right to me.

Excalibur (1981)
I'm only slightly familiar with the story of King Arthur, the Sword and the Stone, and the Knights of the Round Table, so I was looking forward to watching this movie. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations.

I think there's a good story in there somewhere, but it was buried under too much fighting and blood. Was it really necessary to show the blood on the outside of the suits of armor?! It almost felt like every few minutes, someone else was fighting and/or dying.

Most of the characters were so unlikable that I wouldn't have cared if they were killed off early in the movie. The only likable character was Lancelot, and Merlin had a few good moments. Even Arthur wasn't likable.

I liked it when they went away from the fighting scenes. I liked the scenes with Merlin and Morgana, and I would have liked to see more scenes with the love triangle of Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot.

The movie had potential to be a good movie, but it just seemed to be a bit "all over the place". Maybe if it had been streamlined a little bit more, I might have enjoyed it a little bit more.

Dragonslayer (1981)
I liked this movie, but I didn't love it as much as I had hoped I would. I think the biggest problem for me was that I didn't care for Peter MacNicol in the role of the apprentice. It's not that I think he's a bad actor, it's just that I thought he couldn't carry the film the way a more charismatic actor might have. He's just too bland IMO.

I would have liked to see more of Ralph Richardson's character. He was a much more interesting character.

I was a little surprised that nobody realized that Valerian was female. I noticed it immediately, but I didn't realize until later in the movie why it seemed strange that she seemed to be pretending to be male.

I liked some of the scenes with the dragon, but some of them almost felt like I was watching a disgusting horror movie. I preferred the scenes when the dragon was flying.

Basically this movie was a good story, but it just had some minor issues that held it back from being a great movie.

Just out of curiosity, did you see pictures or video of E.T. (the character, not the movie), before you saw the full movie?
I honestly have no idea. I don't remember if I had rented the VHS tape or watched it on tv. I recall other kids frequently saying "E.T. phone home" while pointing their finger, but again I don't know if that was before or after I'd actually seen the film. I may or may not have seen ads on tv prior to watching it. It's certainly possible, but that was far too long ago for me to remember the exact circumstances.

Now I know what you meant with this. Still, I'm way more surprised that you like Starship Troopers than you liking Tideland. I'm glad that at least someone liked my nom
Why wouldn't you think I'd like Starship Troopers?