ahwell's Top 100 Movies - 2020

→ in
Tools    

76. Harakiri (1962)

To me this is a pure masterpiece, one of the greatest Japanese movies ever made. I like the way the story was told, in that it jumps back and forth in time, making for an intense and thrilling ride through the history and morals of this tale. It's samurai movie with a twist - it doesn't glorify the samurai code of honor, it instead criticizes it. The acting isn't great, but it doesn't really matter as the camerawork is so good that you can hardly notice. Just a wonderful, wonderful, movie that I will definitely return to in the future.

I had sky high expectations for this one and it didn’t quite reach there. However, this was still a great movie and a great watch for me. I, too, loved the way the story was told and presented.

I wouldn’t mind revisiting it again in the future. I definitely see why it’s hailed as a masterpiece.

75. The King of Comedy (1982)

Very twisted, disturbing movie... and that's why I liked it. It has a spectacular performance from Robert DeNiro, and a great character study in Rupert Pupkin... one of the most fascinating of all the characters. I think it was so successful nontheless in portraying the shocking effects of the need for popularity on all of us.

Agree with every word. I Iove that film. Was very surprised and a bit taken aback on how it turned out be. But that’s why I ended up really loving the experience of watching this film. I think I got a review of it here on the forum too somewhere.

Agree with every word. I Iove that film. Was very surprised and a bit taken aback on how it turned out be. But that’s why I ended up really loving the experience of watching this film. I think I got a review of it here on the forum too somewhere.
Me too, and me too. The King of Comedy is my kind of film and I think I rated it a 4/5 maybe higher.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

75. The King of Comedy (1982)

I saw The King of Comedy back when it was in the movie theaters, but I didn't like it. I thought Rupert Pupkin was one of the most annoying characters ever, and that might even be the reason why I've never been a fan of Robert De Niro.

But that was a long time ago, and I might give it another chance someday, (if someone nominates it in a HoF).

74. Rear Window (1954)

What can I say? It's Hitchcock, so of course it's a masterpiece. This film is simply stunning to watch. Only 6 minutes short of two hours, it holds your attention the whole time, which is impressive. The acting is great, especially for an era when acting could often be stiff and wooden. Obviously direction is going to be amazing, can't really criticize there. The last 30 minutes were easily the best, we got some great payoff moments of action and suspense almost akin to a horror movie. The lighting when Thorwald and Jeff finally confront each other is nothing short of genius. We get a scene that surely must have inspired horror movies of the future. Should it have won Best Picture over On the Waterfront? Tough one, but I think so. There's something timeless about Hitch's movies, and it will make them universally loved for as long as people are watching and enjoying movies.

74. Rear Window (1954)

What can I say? It's Hitchcock, so of course it's a masterpiece. This film is simply stunning to watch. Only 6 minutes short of two hours, it holds your attention the whole time, which is impressive. The acting is great, especially for an era when acting could often be stiff and wooden. Obviously direction is going to be amazing, can't really criticize there. The last 30 minutes were easily the best, we got some great payoff moments of action and suspense almost akin to a horror movie. The lighting when Thorwald and Jeff finally confront each other is nothing short of genius. We get a scene that surely must have inspired horror movies of the future. Should it have won Best Picture over On the Waterfront? Tough one, but I think so. There's something timeless about Hitch's movies, and it will make them universally loved for as long as people are watching and enjoying movies.
Noo.. too early, put it back..! Great choice, top 50 for me.

74. Rear Window (1954)

...The acting is great, especially for an era when acting could often be stiff and wooden...
Rear Window is great of course. FYI the acting method you call stiff and wooden is theatrical base where the actors aren't trying to sound like you or I, but like thespians...it's stylized.

Rear Window is great of course. FYI the acting method you call stiff and wooden is theatrical base where the actors aren't trying to sound you or I, but like thespians...it's stylized.
Yes, for sure... I guess I prefer more realistic acting though.

Now we are talking! The only cock I love... Hitchcock!

I liked this one a little less last time, however it’s still great of course. The man is a master, not only at suspense, but just crafting movies in general. Vertigo is still my favorite.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

74. Rear Window (1954)

Rear Window isn't my favorite Hitchcock movie, but it's a great movie. I like it a little bit more each time I watch it, so it might eventually make it to the top of my Hitchcock list.

73. Peeping Tom (1960)

1960 was a good year for psychological horror. Not only was Psycho released but so was this masterpiece, perhaps even more disturbing and introspective. Peeping Tom's plot revolves around a serial killer named Mark who really is quite a nice guy. He's shy, often awkward, but can always be kind and courteous. That is, until he gets behind the camera. Some instinctual thing arises from his childhood, and he acts as a true "Peeping Tom," murdering his victims while he films them. He's one of the most sympathetic serial killers in all of film, really. Karl Boehm does a great job playing a troubled soul, and I realized "Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" must have been giving a slight nod (with a wink of course) to Helen with their red-headed and innocent character Lady Tottington. If you haven't seen Were-Rabbit, check it out and you'll know what I'm talking about.