MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2016 Signups

Tools    

It's fantasy baseball time! Whoo!

First thing's first: if you're not in this league, there may be room for you! It's a pretty competitive league, so you'll want to have played fantasy baseball before. If you have, reply and let me know what you want to play, and we'll see what we can do.

If you played last year, you should already have an invite waiting at the same email addresses you used last year. If you don't have one, please PM me the address you're using and I'll have another sent.

Okay, onto the draft time. I'm suggesting a tentative date of Sunday, March 13th at 1:00 PM ET (10:00 AM PT). A backup date is the following week (March 20th) at the same time.

Please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 13th and 20th" or "I can do the 13th but not the 20th."

Here's the list of owners, which I'll update as they're confirmed (amusingly, three of you confirmed while I was writing this):
  • Yoda (Freedonia Ducks)
  • Sedai (Clockwork Angels)
  • mikeython1 (Done and Dunn)
  • Banknotes Harper (High-Level Arbitrage)
  • mark f (Dodgers)
  • TONGO (The Naturals)
  • Adamantium18 (Quickie Marte)
  • Frightened Inmate #2 (The Loose Seals)
  • rauldc14 (Peanuts&Crackerjacks)
  • seanc (Mudville Nine) Powdered Water (The Russell Wilson 9)
  • Fabulous (The Empire)
  • ursaguy (North Side Chi)

Onto the rules: recent changes, and possible changes.

Last year we added OBP and Holds, and I think most of you liked that (the latter, in particular, made drafting relievers way more interesting, and less of a crap shoot). Given that it was approved last year, we'll be using this unless stated otherwise, but I'm open to hearing any objections, especially if anyone feels strongly about this.

My guess is we're all pretty happy with last year's rules about trades, transactions, etc. The only significant change we might want to entertain is whether to switch to an Auction draft instead of a Snake-style draft. This is a big change, so we'll need a lot of buy-in from a number of owners to seriously consider it, but I wanted to mention it right off the bat as something a couple owners have talked about the last couple of years.

Anyway, the floor is open: any rule changes you guys want? Replying to say "all of that sounds fine whether it happens or not" is useful, too!

I like the idea of an auction draft. Ive never really done it, but it looks appealing. Only worry is its MUCH different than standard drafting and people just wont know how to do it.

Hi, everyone!

It feels good to be thinking about this stuff again. In response to everything that's been asked so far:

Logistics:
-Both dates in March should be fine for me.

Rules/stats:
-Holds are great; keep them.
-We should consider replacing wins with quality starts, because wins are a silly stat in real life and even more so in fantasy baseball. Additionally, quality starts are specific to starting pitchers, whereas relievers can get wins. Playing with wins, holds, and saves devalues starting pitchers, but swapping to QS, holds, and saves shift value back to starters.
-I think OPS is a better stat to play with than OBP, if we wanted to make that switch, but I'm also cool with OBP. My real dream is to play a league with OBP and SLG rather than AVG and OBP/OPS, but that's an aside.
-We could consider the idea of giving each team an extra roster spot given that we adopted holds, which creates a need for a more diverse pitching staff.

Auction draft:
-We switched to an auction draft in my other league and everyone really liked it.
-PROS: The auction draft is a more fair system; it, for instance, allows every manager to have a chance at drafting, say, Mike Trout or Bryce Harper, whereas in the snake format, you have no chance of getting either player if you're drafting 5th or later. The auction has a lot of strategy involved and it better rewards the managers who are prepared for the draft. It's also fun.
-CONS: It takes longer (maybe 3 hours for my auction last year, compared to 90 minutes for a snake draft), though it's definitely more engaging. It makes it more imperative that everyone attends the draft, rather than having the computer auto-draft. Having one or more computers drafting is undesirable for all parties, I think.

i can do the 13th but definitely not the 20th.

i also like the idea of quality starts over wins.
criticker

Did my first mock auction draft, only long enough to get 2 players, Mike Trout & Clayton Kershaw yee haw! Yeah even for a total of $106 that aint gonna happen here. Tims right it takes waaaay longer, think this type of draft I will set up a predraft lineup beforehand, out of necessity. No way I could be present for whole time, but I sure will be there.

A system of cells interlinked
I can do both the 13th and 20th

Fine with whatever stats we want to use, and I am game for trying the new draft format, as well!

Should I wait till the league is set to auction style before editing my pre-draft rankings? Didnt know if it just rolls over or not. When I tried to do a mock auction it wouldnt let me use my MoFo League rankings that Id started on saying it wouldnt allow a standard draft rankings to be used in an auction draft.

So far, everybody who's weighed in can a) do the 13th and b) likes switching to Quality Starts.

We have one "no" for the 20th and one "idk" for auction. And I think it's fair to say we should only switch to auction if the support is pretty overwhelming.

My schedule is all over the map theses days so I can't be sure if either date will work. I'll just take whatever day you pick and try to plan on it. The auction sounds fun but I don't think I can truly give it the kind of time that it will take to be prepared. I mean, I don't prepare now, so... I feel I'd be at a disadvantage. Changing some of the stat categories sounds fine too, I guess. Although I'm pretty happy with the way they are now too. So I guess I'm a solid maybe.

Oh. and IN!

I'mma win this bitch this year!

Well I guess were sticking with normal draft. Its too bad as Auction seems to be alot more fun. Getting into a bidding war is fun.