Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Snooze factor = Zz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Old Guard (2020)

This Netflix comic book movie feels like a series pilot. It's a decent introduction to (unbelievably cliched) characters, but it doesn't go any further than that. Even the ending seems to scream "remember to watch the next episode". Despite all that, I'm a little partial towards all sorts of immortals and can easily look past the cliches and predictability.

Anyone interest in Psycho should check this out. For its time it has a very dark storyline and Bette Davis is perfectly cast as the lead character. Is she innocent or guilty of the tragedies that have struck the Fane family?

Anyone interest in Psycho should check this out. For its time it has a very dark storyline and Bette Davis is perfectly cast as the lead character. Is she innocent or guilty of the tragedies that have struck the Fane family?
As a child, this scared the hell out of me. Not so much now, but still.

The King of Comedy (1982, Martin Scorsese)

This seems to be a highly acclaimed movie, and I fully expected to like it going in because it's Scorsese and the subject matter is right up my alley, but frankly it didn't do much for me at all. I mean, I get the satire, the black humor and all that, and the first half of the film was kinda decent, but the longer I watched, the more I realized it wasn't going in the direction I wished it would go (didn't care for the plot turn with the kidnapping and everything that ensued), plus I totally missed insight into comedy as a genre, the trials and tribulations of the profession/working on television, no character development in sight - to me, that was a glaring flaw when it comes to plot. It certainly didn't help matters either that Pupkin is probably the most annoying character in the history of ever (when Langford finally said to him, "Did anyone ever tell you you're a moron?", I couldn't have concurred more).

Thumbs up for the satire, but otherwise I found it frustrating - and irritating beyond belief.
Sandra Bernhard as a psychotic fan was pretty good tho.

BACK TO SCHOOL
(1986)

Re-watch. The movie that showcased Rodney Dangerfield's comedic genius, with the help of a solid supporting cast that included Burt Young, William Zabka, and another legendary funnyman Sam Kinison.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Old Guard (2020)

This Netflix comic book movie feels like a series pilot. It's a decent introduction to (unbelievably cliched) characters, but it doesn't go any further than that. Even the ending seems to scream "remember to watch the next episode". Despite all that, I'm a little partial towards all sorts of immortals and can easily look past the cliches and predictability.

I'm going to be watching this with a friend. I'm going in with tempered expectations, but much like Palm Springs it seems like a nice summer flick.

The Swimmer

Such an underrated movie. The ending is perfect.
Fantastic film.

Re-watch of a good movie with a very unique storyline. Well-acted.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Queen of the Stardust Ballroom (Sam O'Steen, 1975)
6.5/10
The Deeper You Dig (John Adams & Toby Poser, 2019)
5/10
Relic (Natalie Erika James, 2020)
5.5/10
Ruben Brandt, Collector (Milorad Krstic, 2018)
7/10

Spectacular, surreal animated epic with homages to pop culture up the ying-yang.
Archive (Gavin Rothery, 2020)
6/10
Danny Says (Brendan Toller, 2015)
6.5/10
Between Shadow and Soul (Ash Mayfair, 2020)
5.5/10
Inmate #1: The Rise of Danny Trejo (Brett Harvey, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

Danny Trejo's life traced from little kid to druggie criminal to prison kingpin to extra/actor to movie star/entrepreneur.
Xala (Ousmane Sembene, 1975)
6/10
Money Plane (Andrew Lawrence, 2020)
+ 5/10
The Long Dumb Road (Hannah Fidell, 2018)
5.5/10
Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado (Cristina Costantini & Kareem Tabsch, 2020)
6.5/10

Strange, fascinating story of Puerto Rican astrologer Walter Mercado who had a major influence across Latin America.
The F**k-It List (Michael Duggan, 2020)
5.5/10
Inversion (Behnam Behzadi, 2016)
6/10
Ordinary People (Eduardo W. Roy Jr, 2016)
5.5/10
Music for One Apartment and Six Drummers (Ola Simonsson & Johannes Stjärne Nilsson, 2001)
7/10 10 min

The terrorists from The Sound of Noise are back.
John Lewis: Good Trouble (Dawn Porter, 2020)
- 6.5/10
Volition (Tony Dean Smith, 2019)
5.5/10
Villa Empain (Katharina Kastner, 2019)
6/10 24 min
The Whistlers AKA La Gomera (Corneliu Porumboiu, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Complex mystery, so complex it takes to the end to figure out what's going on.

The Swimmer

Such an underrated movie. The ending is perfect.
I agree that the ending was perfect. After all that's what the entire movie was leading up to. But I didn't like the ending. Lancaster was perfect for the part. If you haven't seen him in Atlantic City (1980), I think you'd like him in that picture as well.

~Doc

Chef is a really solid feel-good movie. If you are interested in a film that is enjoyable but with minimal conflict and stress, this is a great pick.

Well, I'm sick of lockdown, need to get downtown. I need a downtown movie and it goes even bigger, like I want to be in New York. Looking at the movie pile, I see one of my favorite New York movies, Ghostbusters. The real one, the first one, not the imitators. So, it's the Big Apple, the Staypuft Marshmallow Man. I also want the big, noisy ambulance with the license tag ECTO 1.

BLACK RAIN
(1989)

First viewing. An extremely mediocre action thriller directed with flare by Ridley Scott and featuring Michael Douglas as a badass motorcycle riding cop. The movie offers nothing new to the action cop film genre, except for the setting being in Japan.

This is done

As good as its predecessor, this is a great Hammer Horror sequel. Christopher Lee has no dialogue whatsoever but his presence is enough as the prince of darkness. It’s hard to believe that in its time these films were scorned by many as grotesque examples of cinema. Now they are nothing but praised upon and studied by film students. How attitudes have changed.

This appears in my Hammer Horror top 5. I cannot fault this.