A Song For July

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All voted again

1st - Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy (124 pts)

Grats to HollowMan on getting their song through to the Final

Congratulations @HollowMan!

There are worse things than being a second-rate Elvis.
For sure, just really amused me that he finished second after your comment and I couldn't resist

My R6 nom:
HVØSCH - Our Sole Refuge

1) Elysian Fields - Hit By A Wandering Moon
2) Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
3) Modern English - I Melt With You
4) Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
5) John Carpenter - Skeleton
6) Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
7) Pauline - Dancin’
8) Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
9) Fanny - Blind Alley
10) Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
11) Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
12) Kid Rock - All Summer Long
13) Slackeye Slim- Vengeance Gonna Be My Name

Round 5

Deborah Harry - I Want That Man - Like my previous nomination this was something I'd forgotten about until recently. I didn't even know it was Ms. Harry. But I really like it and have been spending some time with it of late.

Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer - If you're going to do Stevie, go 70's Stevie.

Pauline - Dancin' - Really enjoying this. A great start. Only the first song but I expect this to do well on my list.

Fanny - Blind Alley - I'm liking this too. It's got that late 60's/early 70's hippy rock feel which is always welcome with me.

Modern English - I Melt With You - ooh, now here's a blast from the past. The only negative about this song (and it's a minor thing which is my problem, not its) is that I just associate it with movie soundtracks and not the time itself, as I don't think it was that big a hit here.

Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet - I wasn't sure how I felt about this but by the end I'd started to quite like it.

Kid Rock - All Summer Long - I quite like it because I like Skynyrd so much. But that also pulls it down a little because I'd rather it was.

Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed - This isn't something I really listened to. It's more that I heard it and enjoyed it's noise and energy.

Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon - Dreamy. But I'm not really in the mood for dreamy atm. On another day this might do a lot better.

John Carpenter - Skeleton - Meh. Instrumentals are rarely my thing. It's not bad or anything, it's just a big comedown after enjoying the first two so much. I think it'll end up in the middle of the pack for me.

Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue) - I'm afraid Neil Young is another one I just don't get or really like bar a couple of songs.

Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man - He has a few songs I like. This isn't one of them. Also, doesn't he take his time to get to it?!?!?

Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name - My heart sank the moment I saw this was 6 minutes long. The opening notes did not provide any confidence. I think after about 3 minutes in I was just hearing it... Then it stopped. I looked at the time left. Over a minute!!! Thank you. I would not have experienced that joy had it been accurately timed.

01: Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name Holy crap, this is good. Don't know if it's better than my nom, but I'll put this at #1 'cause it's a new find. Spotify, here I come.
02: Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
03: Fanny - Blind Alley This one's good too, and also a new find for me.
04: Modern English - I Melt With You
05: Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
06: John Carpenter - Skeleton
07: Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
08: Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
09: Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
10: Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
11: Kid Rock - All Summer Long
12: Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
13: Pauline - Dancin'

Hardest round to rank so far.

R5
  1. Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
  2. John Carpenter - Skeleton
  3. Elysian Fields - Hit By A Wandering Moon
  4. Kid Rock - All Summer Long
  5. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
  6. Modern English - I Melt With You
  7. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen Oireet
  8. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
  9. Fanny - Blind Alley
  10. Slackeye Slim- Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
  11. Pauline - Dancin'
  12. Neil Young- My My, Hey Hey
  13. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed

R6
Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

1. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
  2. Modern English - I Melt With You
  3. Pauline - Dancin'
  4. Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
  5. Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
  6. Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
  7. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
  8. Fanny - Blind Alley
  9. Kid Rock - All Summer Long
  10. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
  11. John Carpenter - Skeleton
  12. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
  13. Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer

1. Fanny - Blind Alley
2. Modern English - I Melt With You
3. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
4. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
5. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
6. Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
7. John Carpenter - Skeleton
8. Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
9. Pauline - Dancin
10. Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
11. Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
12. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
13. Kid Rock - All Summer Long

Kid Rock - All Summer Long
Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue) (supporting my fellow Canadian)
Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
John Carpenter - Skeleton
Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
Pauline - Dancin'
Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
Modern English - I Melt With You
Fanny - Blind Alley

Round 5

1. Fanny - Blind Alley
(Damn, that was awesome. Just took a brief detour and listened to a few more of their songs, some of which are even better than this one. How have I never heard of these ladies?! At the very least you'd think they be celebrated as pioneers. This blows away anything I've heard from The Runaways or pretty much any other all-female rock band.)

2. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
(No clue why YouTube recommended to me a German electronic song about Nazi fighter pilots snorting drugs, but it did, and I dug it, so I nominated it.)

3. John Carpenter - Skeleton
(Not as eerie as I was expecting but still very cool.)

4. Modern English - I Melt with You
(Surprised by how quickly I found myself singing along to this. I've never loved it nor sought it out, but I've also never grown tired of it despite hearing it many times before in movies and on the radio. And I'm sure it'll now be playing in my mind the rest of the day. No wonder the song was a hit.)

5. Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be Mine
(Wish the production was a bit cleaner. This would be right at home in a Tarantino flick.)

6. Neil Young - My My, Hey Hey
(The way most of you feel about Dylan is probably close to how I feel about Neil Young. It's always been tough for me to look past his obnoxious, nasally voice to appreciate what else he brings to the table.)

7. Deborah Harry - I Want that Man
(Nice while it lasts, but I'm sure I'll forget everything about it five minutes from now.)

8. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
(Would work better for me as an instrumental. Original link was unavailable so I went with this alternative.)

9. Kid Rock - All Summer Long
(Sampling "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolves of London" seemed like such a cheap ploy to manufacture a hit, but it paid off for him.)

10. Pauline - Dancin'
(I don't dance, but if I did I'm sure this would be fine. Good tempo and all that. Just not really my thing.)

11. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
(Before the pandemic brought everything to a halt, a buddy offered me a free ticket to a Billy Joel concert since his wife couldn't attend, but I told him to find someone who'd actually enjoy the experience 'cuz that person ain't me.)

12. Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
(I wanted to like this but it just didn't do anything for me. On a different day I could maybe get into the sultry, sedated vocals, but that chorus kinda sucks.)

13. Stevie Wonder- Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer
(Stevie's voice has always been like nails on a chalkboard to me. Also can't stop chuckling at the prospect that the woman he's singing about didn't actually leave him but simply walked into a separate room without telling his blind ass.)

A system of cells interlinked
1 Modern English - I Melt With You - Top tune from the 80s. One of the best in the genre from that era, IMO.

2 Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet - I like pretty much every Finnish band I hear.

3 Fanny - Blind Alley - This just rocks! I checked out a couple more tracks and this band is excellent. Will listen more in future.

4 Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed - This also rocks!

5 Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer - Classic Stevie song...

6 Slackeye Slim- Vengeance Gonna Be My Name - Great vibe!

7 Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue) - Sometimes Neil Young REALLY annoys me. This is not one of those times.

8 Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man - A huge talent. Also an *******.

9 Deborah Harry - I Want That Man - I had not heard this. Pretty good pop song.

10 John Carpenter - Skeleton

11 Elysian Fields - Hit By A Wandering Moon - Like HK, just kind of not in the mood for this today.

12 Pauline - Dancin’ - Didn't do anything for me.

13 Kid Rock - All Summer Long - Rip-off!