Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Hey! You should be sending me a pm when you find a movie like Revenge. I put it on my watchlist.

Just for that, I thought Wendy and Lucy was average to mediocre

Can't wait to watch Hereditary !!!!

I’m so excited about First Reformed! Revenge landed on my watchlist.... Wendy and Lucy is already on my watchlist. Gotta see Upgrade, hopefully I like it more than you - I really anticipate it.

And of course, Hereditary... I was lucky to get myself the press screening for it, which means I’ll be going on Thursday - a week earlier than the premiere here. Can’t wait!

I’m so excited about First Reformed! Revenge landed on my watchlist.... Wendy and Lucy is already on my watchlist. Gotta see Upgrade, hopefully I like it more than you - I really anticipate it.

And of course, Hereditary... I was lucky to get myself the press screening for it, which means I’ll be going on Thursday - a week earlier than the premiere here. Can’t wait!
You're back. How are ya, MM?

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Hereditary was brilliant.

Just a question, did you find it freaky/shocking?

WARNING: "Hereditary" spoilers below
That scene were she gets decapitated in the car genuinely shook me to my core, I couldn't believe it.

Hereditary was brilliant.

Just a question, did you find it freaky/shocking?

WARNING: "Hereditary" spoilers below
That scene were she gets decapitated in the car genuinely shook me to my core, I couldn't believe it.
Forgot to respond to this. I found some parts very shocking (like the part you mentioned). Not scary, but yes, shocking.

Piranha 3DD -

(John Gulager, 2012)

[NEW WATCH]

Completely ridiculous and unforgivingly stupid, but a hilariously good time. Not least of all thanks to Hasselhoff, who is freaking awesome here.

Incredibles 2 -

(Brad Bird, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Was never big on the first one (which isn't bad but doesn't resonate with me much) and this didn't convert me. Just didn't offer me much, unfortunately.

Hereditary -

(Ari Aster, 2018)

[REWATCH]

It's really, really solid but I can't pinpoint what makes it tick. This movie is a freaking enigma.

Hearts Beat Loud -

(Brett Haley, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Cliche and corny but worked incredibly well to me because it's about making music. I have some of the equipment shown in this movie (that pad thing she's using throughout? I GOT ONE!). I always wanted a daughter, and this makes me want to be a middle-aged dude with a daughter.

The Conjuring -

(James Wan, 2013)

[REWATCH]

It's really good craft-wise but I had to knock it down because I felt the cringe of the Warrens more. I know it's silly but I would have rather they just made it fictional instead of playing up the BASED ON A TRUE STORY nonsense. Still, awesome movie.

Saw VI -

(Kevin Greutert, 2009)

[REWATCH]

Complete poop like the rest of this franchise.

Mountain -

(Jennifer Peedom, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Awesome imagery, incredible score, and Willem Dafoe waxing philosophical about none other than mountains makes for a cool documentary.

Saw: The Final Chapter -

(Kevin Greutert, 2010)

[REWATCH]

Not the worst one in the series like I had previously felt, but that's not saying much. The image of Jigsaw in a backwards cap and hoodie will forever scar me. Alas, this franchise does not deserve Costas Mandylor.

SuperFly -

(Director X, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Kind of (?) gets the whole blaxploitation thing and updates it for the modern era, but that's destroyed by gross motion blur, making this entire thing feel very amateurish. I think Director X has been watching too many Michael Mann movies.

Sabrina -

(Billy Wilder, 1954)

[REWATCH]

I felt at ease here in the hands of Billy Wilder. I was constantly reassured throughout the film of his absolute fantastic ability as a writer and director, and grew a sense of trust that he would deliver all the way through. He did. Great flick.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom -

(Juan Antonio Bayona, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I hated the first Jurassic World so obviously my expectations weren't that high going into this. And while it does have a pretty dumb script, Bayona is a good director and he was clearly having fun with this movie, which for me was infectious.

Master of My Domain
Was never big on the first one (which isn't bad but doesn't resonate with me much) and this didn't convert me. Just didn't offer me much, unfortunately.

I liked 3DD but loved 3D. You see that?
Yeah, of course. I was kind of bored last time because I knew every beat, which led to me giving it a bad score. But on first viewing it's loads of fun.

Predator -

(John McTiernan, 1987)

[REWATCH]

A nostalgic watch with a lot of moments that petrified me as a child. But not as good of a film as I remember.

It Comes at Night -

(Trey Edward Shultz, 2017)

[REWATCH]

Well-paced and becomes truly gut-wrenching at the end. My stomach was churning.

Jigsaw -

(Spirit Bros, 2017)

[REWATCH]

Glad to be done with this awful series. Though it boasts slightly better camerawork, it’s also the most boring and contrived Saw film, in my opinion.

It -

(Andy Muschietti, 2017)

[REWATCH]

A very good movie. Looking forward to the sequel - Chastain!!!!!

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? -
-
(Morgan Neville, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Rogers was a treasure of a person. Watching this was an eye-opening experience for me, not just about cinema/art but about life itself.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado -

(Stefano Sollima, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Noticeably lacks Villeneuve, Deakins, and Blunt. Brolin - who I recently realized is one of my fave modern actors - and del Toro are great and give it their all, which pays off because they end up carrying the film.

The Descent -

(Neil Marshall, 2005)

[REWATCH]

I have always loved The Descent. It’s a humble horror movie that kicks a good punch.

True Grit -

(Coen Bros, 2010)

[REWATCH]

Really well-crafted flick, as to be expected by the Coens. Deakins on the camera is always a good thing. Notable for it’s lack of “gritty nihilism” that perpetuates a lot of modern cinema. I’m definitely not the first to notice that, though.

American Animals -

(Bart Layton, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

American Animals reminded me of those kids who see a Scorsese or Tarantino film and want to imitate it. Except in this case, the cast and crew are all very talented.

A lot of inspired work here. Some really great camerawork and stylistic moments. I think Barry Keoghan is one of the most fascinating up-and-coming actors working right now, and his dynamic with Evan Peters was perhaps the driving force of the film. Ultimately feels a bit half-baked, but the director's vision does come through overall.

[center]Predator -

(John McTiernan, 1987)

[REWATCH]

A nostalgic watch with a lot of moments that petrified me as a child. But not as good of a film as I remember.
I've been saying it for the thick end of 15 years and I'll go again. Predator gets worse with every re-watch. Doesn't stop me loving it, but that's how it is.

I've been saying it for the thick end of 15 years and I'll go again. Predator gets worse with every re-watch. Doesn't stop me loving it, but that's how it is.
I've always loved the first hour or so but after it becomes a duel between Arnold and Predator it gets pretty boring.

Welcome to the human race...
I do question how large (or small) these perceived drops in quality are if they aren't enough to stop you loving it after 15 years.

I do question how large (or small) these perceived drops in quality are if they aren't enough to stop you loving it after 15 years.
I'd say it gets less and less with every viewing, but you seem to forget that quality of product and love of product aren't really connected with me.