Examples of "Oscar-baits"

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
I've heard it used a lot but the only ones I usually see people calling it would be The Imitation Game (2014) and Shakespeare in Love (1998).

Could anyone give me some more examples and why?

Crash. Racism bad, white guilt, ripping off PTA's Magnolia with how it told it's story, and SO did not deserve to win best picture.
Lol, funny how I never made the connection between the two of those. It's quite clear now though.

Guess the rip-off was so bad I couldn't even tell.

Forrest Gump.

I have to return some videotapes.
Would you say a lot of Zemeckis' movies are oscar bait? Come to think of it I've heard people say Flight and Cast Away were baits as well

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Just look at this year's Oscars nominations for best picture: The Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything and American Sniper. That's 4 out of 8.

A useful way to know if it's Oscar-bait is ask the question: Is it a biopic? Then it probably is an Oscar-bait.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
- biopic
- Jews
- LGBT
- slavery
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I didn't know Drill Bill was an oscar contender
Damn lmao.

Drill Bill is going to turn into an inside-joke thing on this forum soon enough.

"I like macho films with lots of action what do you recommend?" "DRILL BILL!"

When in doubt? Drill Bill is the answer. Always.

Oscar Bait is a no-risk story that relies on its actors more than its writing (the completely and utterly mystifying Screenplay Oscar win for Imination Game notwithstanding). 99% of the time it's a biopic and/or period drama, and the directors usually take heavy influence from the sappy side of Spielberg (Zemeckis is the most obvious example). It's sort of a ghetto for anybody other than the actors involved. Directors and writers that make it big with Oscar Bait very rarely get a hit outside of that genre. Oscar Bait movies that aren't good enough to make the Oscars are usually outcast by society as critical and commercial bombs, because they appeal to absolutely no one (Things like Big Eyes, Idris Elba's Mandela, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close should fit into this category but somehow got a Best Picture nomination, etc).

There's also a more recent type of Oscar Bait coming up, of movies about show business that glorify the work of people in Hollywood. Birdman is the best example possible, with its morals of graduating from blockbusters to serious work and not getting respect for their art being perfect ways to pander to voters.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Theory of Everything - It was an incredibly boring movie, and there was almost no heart or effort put into it. The only redeeming quality was the performance from Eddie Redmayne. Other than that it was just there to gain attention and win awards.

Master of My Domain
Some that just popped up in my mind

- The Iron Lady
- The Imitation Game
- Driving Miss Daisy (it actually won, instead of Goodfellas)
- War Horse
- Shakespeare in Love