Cole's Film Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, be sure to watch it at a time where you feel like you could truly dedicate your time and attention to it. And now that you know the film, you will also know which mood to be in to watch it.

Glad to see you loved Boogie Nights as it's I'm my top 5. I also love Nightcrawler and Snatch. As far as Guy Ritchie's other movies, just watch Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

I have to return some videotapes.
May 13th, 2015

Drive. Drama. Nicolas Winding Refn. 2011.

After a few months of wanting to see this, I finally sat down and actually watched Drive. Before I started it, I was expecting it to be more of an action movie than I guess a drama. But while I was watching, it was far more entertaining in my mind than a movie like Fast and the Furious because of how well they built Gosling up as a character. At times it can be slow, but I was fine with the pacing because I felt like there wasn't much time added that didn't need to be. I haven't seen many movies with Ryan Gosling, and all I know him by is that dude from the Nicholas Sparks book but I was very impressed on how he played the role. The ending is kind of anti-climatic, but it makes sense. Along with the acting, the camerawork was great. I wouldn't mind watching other movies that the cinematographer works on, because he did amazing on it. I'd definitely recommend this to Ryan Gosling lovers or just movie lovers, because I really enjoyed this!

+

I really love Drive. It was my favorite movie of 2011. I am over due for a re-watch. Glad you liked it Cole.
I will definitely watch that again soon. The more and more I thought about the ending, the more I liked it too. There really wasnt anything else he really could have done. If Gosling can act so well movies like this, I might have to go see The Big Short thats coming out in theaters next year with him.

Drive is great. I recently got rid of much of my movie collection, but kept that one. Just a stylish good time.

Drive is a great film indeed.

I didn't like it on the first watch, but with the second watch I ended up giving it the same rating as you did.
Glad to see people liked it as much as I did!

Drive is great. I recently got rid of much of my movie collection, but kept that one. Just a stylish good time.
Yeah it was fantastically done. I wish I didn't just rent it

Check out The Driver from the 70's if you get a chance.
Will do, seems pretty similar which is cool. I'll add it to my watchlist.
Good choice and review Cole! Drive is awesome!
Drive is one of my favourites from this decade so far. Glad you liked it
It was great, I didn't know people liked it so much on this forum!

It was great, I didn't know people liked it so much on this forum!
Yup, it was number 62 on my top 100, and I know I've seen it on a couple other members' lists.

A system of cells interlinked
Ah, cool. Another review thread. I will catch up with these when I get a chance!

Yup, it was number 62 on my top 100, and I know I've seen it on a couple other members' lists.
That's awesome, glad that it's earned people's respect!
Ah, cool. Another review thread. I will catch up with these when I get a chance!
Thanks for checking in, Sedai. Glad to see another follower!

May 14th, 2015

The Usual Suspects Thriller. Bryan Singer. 1995.

After watching a slow movie in Drive, I thought I could handle any movie's pace and be satisfied, but I thought wrong. At some parts I felt like going to sleep, and it didn't help that outside of Spacey and maybe Del Toro I don't like any of the actors. The start I'd rate about a 2, but the end around a 4 or so because I'm stupid and didn't see the twist ending when it was probably obvious to everyone else who has ever seen the movie. The main police interrigator was pretty good as an actor, but really it was just too boring for me to give it higher than a 3.5, even if I enjoyed the ending more than anything else in this. Maybe I should come back to this, because I know a lot of people disagree with me on this but today I just wasn't feeling it.

Back when it came out not many people saw the ending coming Cole, so don't feel that way at all. It is cool you went in unspoiled as old as the movie is. I loved Usual Suspects in the 90's but re-watched it about a year ago and it didn't hold up for me at all. In fact I would rate it lower then you did now.

Don't be afraid of giving a bad rating, even if it's universally acclaimed. I don't say you aren't honest or whatever, but by being honest you can see your taste and knowledge in movies grow over time. I have given a great movie a bad rating before, and then loved it later on, which makes it pretty fun to compare those two and see how much you have evolved over time. and you can't expect to love everything, just because others do. To me, a person giving a poor rating but an interesting review is much better, than a person giving a good rating and than being dishonest or holding back throughout.

And sometimes I see an acclaimed film and think it's bad, then see it again a few years later... Still think it's bad! you never know haha

Anyways good review, personally I wasn't a huge fan of this the first time I watched, still haven't got back to it since. I also have a feeling that this film seems to not hold up as well to many, and the hype and love around it is not as great as it once was. Anyways, it deserves a rewatch from me some day. In my book, a movie should always be watched at least twice, for you to probably judge and rate (but of course you don't have time to do that with every film you ever see ).

Back when it came out not many people saw the ending coming Cole, so don't feel that way at all. It is cool you went in unspoiled as old as the movie is. I loved Usual Suspects in the 90's but re-watched it about a year ago and it didn't hold up for me at all. In fact I would rate it lower then you did now.
Yeah all I knew about it before watching it was the cast and one of the people is Keyser soze. Glad I didn't know much because it would have made my experience even worse.

Don't be afraid of giving a bad rating, even if it's universally acclaimed. I don't say you aren't honest or whatever, but by being honest you can see your taste and knowledge in movies grow over time. I have given a great movie a bad rating before, and then loved it later on, which makes it pretty fun to compare those two and see how much you have evolved over time. and you can't expect to love everything, just because others do. To me, a person giving a poor rating but an interesting review is much better, than a person giving a good rating and than being dishonest or holding back throughout.

And sometimes I see an acclaimed film and think it's bad, then see it again a few years later... Still think it's bad! you never know haha

Anyways good review, personally I wasn't a huge fan of this the first time I watched, still haven't got back to it since. I also have a feeling that this film seems to not hold up as well to many, and the hype and love around it is not as great as it once was. Anyways, it deserves a rewatch from me some day. In my book, a movie should always be watched at least twice, for you to probably judge and rate (but of course you don't have time to do that with every film you ever see ).
Thanks man, I'll make sure to remember that. I always felt like I need to give a bump for the acclaimed movies for some reason/impulse lol but I usually don't anymore. I should have another review out tonight and another tomorrow .