25 More Films Added To U.S. National Film Registry

Tools    

A range of movies from comedy "Airplane!" to George Lucas' "The Empire Strikes Back" and 1906 short film "A Trip Down Market Street" were named to the U.S. National Film Registry on Tuesday, ensuring their preservation for future generations.

Among others are horror film "The Exorcist," political drama "All the President's Men," 1959 African-American cultural exploration "Cry of Jazz" and director John Huston's war documentary "Let There Be Light," which was banned in the U.S. for 35 years.

The Library of Congress picks 25 movies each year that are deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant to be preserved for all time due to their significance to American culture.

Movie preservation has grown increasingly important over the last decade or more because about half of the films produced before 1950 and as many as 90 percent before 1920 were made from film stock that is decaying or has already decayed.

"The National Film Registry is a reminder to the nation that the preservation of our cinematic creativity must be a priority," Librarian of Congress James Billington said in a statement.

Some 2,112 movies were nominated in 2010 by the public, then chosen by Billington after consultation with the National Film Preservation Board and the library's movie staff.

The full list of 25 films follows:

1. Airplane (1980)

2. All the President's Men (1976)

3. The Bargain (1914)

4. Cry of Jazz (1959)

5. Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB (1967)

6. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

7. The Exorcist (1973)

8. The Front Page (1931)

9. Grey Gardens (1976)

10. I Am Joaquin (1969)

11. It's a Gift (1934)

12. Let There Be Light (1946)

13. Lonesome (1928)

14. Make Way For Tomorrow (1937)

15. Malcolm X (1992)

16. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)

17. Newark Athlete (1891)

18. Our Lady of the Sphere (1969)

19. The Pink Panther (1964)

20. Preservation of the Sign Language (1913)

21. Saturday Night Fever (1977)

22. Study of a River (1996)

23. Tarantella (1940)

24. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

25. A Trip Down Market Street (1906)
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101228...n-3334b85.html

It's the short film.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Actually, this one is the original short film George Lucas directed.
THX 1138 was the remake of Electronic Labyrinth.

Just in case you didn't know.

Airplane, All the President's Men, The Empire Strikes Back and The Exorcist. Those are the four I'm really pleased to see on there.
Those are my choices as well, along with Pink Panther.

I thought The Exorcist was already registered. surprising.

Airplane! did start a new pattern for spoofs. Leslie Nielsen earned a certain reputation as a popular comedy actor.
So yes, Airplane is culturally significant in a sort of way.
It may be significant but I don't think it's a good representation for us It was definitely funny but way too cheesy for me. I guess it's just not the type of movie I'm used to.

P.S. I can't think of good movies off the top of my head... and I'm young. I should probably redo the list

The reason you might have found it cheesy is because, that kind of humor is done over & over again nowadays.. but for it's time it was far-out crazy & unique.

Atleast that's my understanding, I always considered Airplane! to be the first spoof of it's kind. I could be wrong.

I have always believed Airplane! to be the originator of the spoof genre as well. Looking over the complete list of films on the National Film Registry, there's several that I might say don't neccessarily reflect well on society as a whole (Animal House? Fast Times at Ridgemont High?). However, almost all were significant in some way to the history of film, if not society.

I can't think of good movies off the top of my head... and I'm young. I should probably redo the list
Nick, don't redo your list just because someone knocks it. If those are your favorite films right now, let it stand. As you said, you're young. As you watch more movies your list will evolve. Twenty years ago almost none of my current favorite movies would have been on my list.

I never criticized his favorite movies!
I just found it interesting...

& honestly I think he should re-do his list if he gets the time, coz he sounds a lot smarter than his favorite movies.. just saying.

Nick, don't redo your list just because someone knocks it. If those are your favorite films right now, let it stand. As you said, you're young. As you watch more movies your list will evolve. Twenty years ago almost none of my current favorite movies would have been on my list.
I didn't redo it but I finished it off. It was a lot easier than when I first attempted it except now I thought of too many movies

I think I could provide a top 10 for every film genre at the moment and I like movies too much so it's hard to rate one movie over another. I've only seen one movie in my life that I didn't like and it's the favorite of everyone else: Napoleon Dynamite.

I didn't redo it but I finished it off. It was a lot easier than when I first attempted it except now I thought of too many movies

I think I could provide a top 10 for every film genre at the moment and I like movies too much so it's hard to rate one movie over another. I've only seen one movie in my life that I didn't like and it's the favorite of everyone else: Napoleon Dynamite.
After my top 10-20 I have a hard time ranking movies, too. I've toyed with the idea of making a top 100 list like others on here have, but it's nearly overwhelming. If it makes you feel any better I've never had any desire to see Napoleon Dynamite, and the more my kid talks about it the less I want to see it.

I know the Registry usually tries to pick out "historically/culturally" significant films for the library, many branching from all different genres and styles. But Tarantella as their selected Avant-Garde selection? Not that it's "bad" but I think there are other more important films that deserve to be in it's placement, such as Geography of the Body or Rituals in Transfigured Time. Oh well, there's always next year.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Certainly should have left Malcom X off the list. The movie was nothing special and Malcom X himself was a violent, racist, anti-semetic, black supremist. Dispicable human being. No one I want my grandchildren or great grandchildren remembering.

Airplane, All the President's Men, The Empire Strikes Back and The Exorcist. Those are the four I'm really pleased to see on there.
I almost got a warm feeling inside because I have no love whatsoever for a film that HK appears to really like. VICTORY!

Seriously, I thought that film wasn't funny at all. Can't remember laughing once and had to contain myself from not turning it off. Not my cup of tea I guess.