Tmnt

→ in
Tools    

I was waiting to see if a thread would pop up for this flick, but decided just to make one of my own.

Was anyone else a lot more impressed with the movie than they thought they would be? I saw it for no other reason than loyalty to my childhood; i expected close to nothing, but threw my 8 bucks at it anyway. It turned out to be a lot better than i had imagined.

This isnt to say it was perfect, in fact, there was a lot missing in terms of plot and tension, but the animation and direction were incredible, supplemented by solid voice acting.

Any thoughts?

Here's my review:

TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Other than that, I can't really say I was disappointed, because I expected a good (but not great) movie at best, and that's what I got.

In one sense, I'm disappointed that the series is still not living up to its potential, but I'm also incredibly pleased in that it's closer than its ever been. The switch to CGI is fantastic, and I love the stylized look of the Turtles. I also love the emphasis on brotherly conflict. I don't much care for the more fantastical elements of the plot, however, nor do I like the designs of the human characters, which look much cartoonier than the Turtles themselves.

As a standalone film, I'd say it's slightly above average. The film itself is nothing terribly exciting, but what is exciting is that it's pointed the franchise in the right direction. There's a lot of potential there, and TMNT is great if you think of it as a first step towards realizing that potential.

I will say i was slightly disgusted at how skinny they made April. I know it's a cartoon; but think of the body image we're sending to young girls. uhhhg.

I also appreciated the brotherly conflict, but
WARNING: "TMNT" spoilers below
You Think Leo threw the fight?

It's been under discussion on a few other boards i've seen.

I'll also mention that the product line out for this movie is impressive; it reminds me of the action figures from back in the day. I spent a few too many minutes staring at them in Target trying to recapture what it felt like as a child to buy the zip-cord talking Raphael.

Wow, great question, Zeik. I was thinking about that myself. I was pretty surprised, for example...

WARNING: "TMNT" spoilers below
...that Leo seemed to "lose." I figured he'd win, or there'd be a draw, or else something would interrupt them before there was any sort of outcome. I'm not sure what I think of the whole thing, but I do think it was very bold of them to have a "winner," and for it to be Raphael. I applaud the gutsiness of it, if nothing else.

Movie Forums Extra
i still remember the cartoons they used to play on saturday morning...man these characters will be around forever

Im most likely catching this tonight, grew up with the old cartoon and movies so Im seeing this purley for nostalgia

i still remember the cartoons they used to play on saturday morning...man these characters will be around forever

yeah right...TMNT will be around forever, I'm watching the re-run of the cartoon series that I grew up with. I'll definitely watch this movie.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
My son, age 14, LOVED it.

My daughter, age 16, didn't. She thought the storyline was weak.

I was surprised it was all CGI. I wouldn't have agreed to see it if I'd have known. I would have sat and read in the lobby instead.

It was okay.

The theme song was missing. That's a HUGE no, no in my book.

BTW, I dressed each kid as a TMNT for Halloween when they were too young to pick out their own costumes.

I played the role playing game.

I watched the TV series but not all that much.

I've seen ALL the movies to date.

And we have two turtles with names like Donatello and Leonardo.

No wonder the kids wanted to see it.