Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Far From the Madding Crowd (2015)

Slightly disappointed with this. I only watched it because Vinterberg directed it, and so I expected it to be a bit more gritty and raw but instead it was a pretty but moderately middle of the road costume drama which doesn't match up to the sixties version with Terence Stamp.

+

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

I have to admit, The Force Awakens is my new favorite film in the Star Wars saga. While A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are arguably more well-made films, this is the one that I personally enjoyed watching the most. This film, in my opinion, got pretty much everything right that the prequels got wrong. The acting was very good, with great performances from the newcomers (especially Daisy Ridley) and the returning cast members from the OT. Most of the cinematography and visual effects were beautiful. It was very refreshing to see the film predominantly use practical effects, and when CGI was used, it rarely looked bad or over-the-top. John Williams provided another great score, and while it isn't quite on the level as some of the earlier Star Wars film scores, I believe it was worthy of the Oscar nomination it received. As most everyone has said, the plot does bear some similarities to that of A New Hope, however, that didn't effect my enjoyment of the film since it was well-executed. My only real problems with TFA were that some events/scenes felt very convenient to the plot, and the CGI used for a few of the characters (mainly Snoke) wasn't so great, but overall, this was a terrific addition to the Star Wars saga that J.J. Abrams did a great job with. Can't wait to see the next two films.

If you wonder how getting rep from me don't give
to Whiplash

Sabrina (1954)

I think this is a very average story, but a very charming and enjoyable movie thanks to director Billy Wilder, and stars Bogart, Hepburn, and Holden. Unfortunately, no part of it made a substantial enough impact for me to call it a favorite.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sabrina (1954)

I think this is a very average story, but a very charming and enjoyable movie thanks to director Billy Wilder, and stars Bogart, Hepburn, and Holden. Unfortunately, no part of it made a substantial enough impact for me to call it a favorite.

Totally agree, I'm a big fan of Billy Wilder and Bogart (and Holden).. I even DVR'd it, but I just deleted it.

Seemed like Bogart wasn't very comfortable in the role either.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sabrina (1954)

Have you seen the remake of Sabrina? I think it's one of the few times that the remake is better than the original, basically due to the casting of the male leads.

Have you seen the remake of Sabrina? I think it's one of the few times that the remake is better than the original, basically due to the casting of the male leads.
I haven't, but I thought the 3 leads were everything in this movie. I can't imagine liking it with different actors.

Totally agree, I'm a big fan of Billy Wilder and Bogart (and Holden).. I even DVR'd it, but I just deleted it.

Seemed like Bogart wasn't very comfortable in the role either.
Bogart died in January 1957 from a long time terminal illness. He might have been feeling poorly when he made this. Being paired with an ingénue at his age didn't help matters any either. He should have played the chauffeur who's Sabrina's father.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Lolita
-

Not entirely sure why it took me so long to watch this one. I found it extremely entertaining and quite funny, too. Top 6 Kubrick for me.

I haven't, but I thought the 3 leads were everything in this movie. I can't imagine liking it with different actors.

I thought that Bogart was too old for his character in Sabrina. I liked Harrison Ford in that role in the remake much more.

I thought that Bogart was too old for his character in Sabrina. I liked Harrison Ford in that role in the remake much more.
I think Ford and Bogart were about the same age, and I'd say that Ford is the only member out of the latter trio that could compete with the original trio.

I think Ford and Bogart were about the same age, and I'd say that Ford is the only member out of the latter trio that could compete with the original trio.

Ford and Bogart may have been about the same age, but Bogart always looked old. I just thought the chemistry was better in the remake, and I think Bogart was the reason for that.

If you get a chance to watch it, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the remake.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Death Sentence (2007)

Kevin Bacon is a successful at work and at home, but while stopping at a gas station one night, his eldest son is savagely murdered by a gang. The person who physically did it is caught, but when Bacon learns that he will only get about 3 years due to lack of evidence, he purposely develops memory loss so the guy can go free. Of course, this is only so he can exact his own bloody revenge. However, there are other gang members he has to deal with. I enjoyed this a little bit as I'm a sucker for sweet revenge, and there's some pretty decent action. I have to say though that this is probably the dumbest movie I've ever seen, from the actions of the characters, to the dialogue, the soundtrack, the lighting, and everything in between. Kevin Bacon has never been worse, and John Goodman looks awful, like a walrus who shed his tusks. Imagine a cop saying, "you went to war with the wrong dawg". Holy crap.
I appreciated how malicious the film was. Did not see the bit coming with his wife at all.

Well directed too, but not overly amazing.

Suspect's Reviews