Dreams

Tools    

Just goes to show that not everything you read is true... I've heard music numerous times and even sang along with it once in a while...
Well, I can't remember the article for sure--it was either music or you can't hear people speak to you in dreams or maybe both, but I've heard both--I've even woke up singing or saying something that I was singing or saying in my dreams. Dreams are old things, an odd way for our brains to make certain adjustments, I think, and I'm pretty sure many things are possible in one's dreams yet may not be common.

I had an unusual experience some weeks ago--dreamed I got in a fight and actually punched my wife in her shoulder! Now try explaining that to someone with an achey arm! Few nights later, I got into another "fight" and woke up punching hell out a pillow--had it down and pounding the hell out of it. My wife awoke before I did and moved way over. Said she didn't know whether to try to wake me up or get the hell out of the room! In between fights, I also started reaching for imaginary items or plucking at the sheet trying to pick up something and would often wake myself up saying something. Just odd actions without any remembered dream images to explain them. I readjusted some of my medication and started taking a prescribed anti-depressant at night instead of morning--that seems to have resolved the problem.

Does anyone else out there ever have dreams where you're sitting in a movie theater and whatever you're dreaming about is projected on the screen that you're watching, so that nothing that's going on--good or bad--is directly related to you? You're just watching the story play out on the screen. That's the form most of my dreams take.

I read once that it's supposed to be impossible to hear music in one's dreams, but I don't only occasionally dream musicals, I come up with some great original lyrics in my dreams. If only I could remember them all when I awake....
Yeah, I've experienced both those things. The dreams-as-movies thing started happening some time around my early 20s and continues on to today, though I don't think it's quite as clear cut for me that it's "just a movie". Often what happens is that at some point in the middle of my dream a sort of meta-narration kicks in where I'm explaining what's happening with an understanding that it's a movie. Sometimes I'm in the "movie" and sometimes I'm not.

The first time I woke up from one of these I thought I had actually seen a hitherto-forgotten early Buster Keaton film that was also one of the first movies to feature stop-action animation (among other things, Keaton was playing a trombone that was devouring other smaller brass instruments that would sort of dance around and arrange themselves by type into various rows and slowly grow smaller and smaller as they approached the "mouth" of the trombone, using "stop-action" animation). It took me until I was done with my shower to realize that the movie didn't exist outside of my head.

Up until I was 6 I had nightmares of being eaten by various different types of canine animals every night, so I think I became desensitized to being freaked out by most of my dreams, however graphic. Whatever the reason, I tend not to get too worked up over my dreams anymore. Still, I'll occasionally have a somewhat unsettling dream. The most recent one happened sometime shortly after the first time I slept with my first girlfriend. In the dream she told me "before we have sex, I think one of us should do heroin, and I think it should be you." I don't remember what happened after that but when I "woke up" I was describing it to her and she interrupted to ask who I was sleeping with, so I turned around and literally jumped awake and out of bed because I saw some other person in the bed next to me. It sounds cheesy but that does happen sometimes, I have to wake up from a dream twice, and it's always kind of freaky.

The music thing definitely happens but unfortunately I don't generally remember the tune or the lyrics. The only one I can remember is a fragment of a song I heard in one of my dreams that started "in order to steal your enemy's locusts, you beat them to death with a memory focus." I think it's usually that sort of stuff.

I'm trying to remember some other good dreams I've had and having a hard time. Usually they're either kind of awful or just kind of weird. The Buster Keaton one was really good. Another one I remember liking a lot was just a complete narrative blank in that it consisted entirely of a girl I know (who I had a crush on at the time) brushing her blond hair while it would keep trying to curl and turn really bright red. She would brush it blond and straight, and it would try to change back. I always feel kind of tender when I think of that dream.

I also like flying dreams though for me it's always kind of out of control. Sometimes I can glide about three feet off the ground, sometimes I can sort of float but can't control the elevation and sometimes it seems more like I'm falling horizontally or at all sorts of odd angles and trying to go as high as possible to avoid obstacles like tree tops.

Does anyone else out there ever have dreams where you're sitting in a movie theater and whatever you're dreaming about is projected on the screen that you're watching, so that nothing that's going on--good or bad--is directly related to you? You're just watching the story play out on the screen. That's the form most of my dreams take.
No. I actually can only recall one dream in my life that took place in a movie theatre. There were probably more, but, they're dreams, I can't remember all of them vividly. But I definitely don't dream of movie theatres much.

If I dream about watching a movie though, I'm watching the movie, but I'm IN the movie with everybody. I can't be affected by the people in the film, but I'm standing there with them, watching. I had a dream like that recently.

Originally Posted by rufnek
I read once that it's supposed to be impossible to hear music in one's dreams, but I don't only occasionally dream musicals, I come up with some great original lyrics in my dreams. If only I could remember them all when I awake.....
I think I have heard music before. There's a lot of things I've read about dreams -- like that you can't dream in color -- which isn't true for me.

Originally Posted by rufnek
As a change of pace, I sometimes dream of dead friends and relatives, and it's always like a family reunion where we're just sitting around telling jokes and laughing about things. I wake up feeling very pleasant like we've really been visiting. The one exception is my mother--from my teens on, I never got along with her when she was alive, and she's still a bitch in my dreams--her and my second wife who is still alive but sometimes shows up. There was a period in my middle age when I used to have a lot of nightmares, but I haven't had a single nightmare since I left my second wife in 1987--other than when she or mom occasionally crash my dreams to give me a bad time. My first wife, who died a few years ago, never shows up in my dreams, although she left me other psychic scars to remember her by.

It's funny--I often have sweet and loving dreams about old girlfriends, but never about ex-wives.
Were your mom and your ex-wives -- especially your second wife -- a lot alike? You may have been psychologically choosing to marry women who were like your mother to deal with issues you had with your mother. Interesting that your nightmares ended after the second wife. Aren't you in a good marriage now? Or were there others?

On some level, you must have had better relationships with the old girlfriends than your ex-wives.

One of the strangest things is that the most realistic and disappointing dreams I ever had was when I was in the Army--I'd often dream that I'd wake up in my old bedroom at home instead of being stuck in a barracks in Germany. I mean it looked like home, it felt like home, it smelled like home, and it was like a great weight being lifted off my back because I was finally home and free at last--right up to the moment some sergeant would kick open the barracks door and blow a whistle to wake us up, and I'd come crashing back to reality still stuck in that gawd-damn barracks. Only slightly less as bad as that is a recurring dream I've had periodically over the 46 years since I got out of the Army. In this dream some sergeants and officers come to tell me that some of the paperwork for my discharge wasn't properly filled out, so I'm still in the Army and not only have to get back in uniform but report to my old outfit in Mannheim, Germany, until I can get all the paperwork completed properly and the Army gets around to approving my discharge. Sometimes they take me all the way back to basic training at Fort Carson, Colo., in the winter of 1961 when we did a 20-mile march full packs in 20-degree weather. Even with the Colorado wind howling round my ears, I awake in a sweat from those dreams! It's worse than mom and my ex-wife showing up to tag-team me.
Those sound like good dreams, though. Healthy dreams. It sounds like your mind is just keeping you functioning as a responsible adult. You're no longer the younger man who wishes he was back in the comforts of your old childhood home. Dreaming of being back in the Army, with paperwork to do, is keeping you young at heart and responsible at the same time. I would embrace those dreams -- they're better for you than mom and your ex-wives.

Just goes to show that not everything you read is true... I've heard music numerous times and even sang along with it once in a while...
Does anyone here ever wake up laughing from something you see or hear in a dream? I have literally awakened myself by laughing at stuff in my dreams -- out loud in the real world! It doesn't happen often, but it did happen to me at least once this year and some other times in the past. And it's usually something absurd that causes me to laugh - something that doesn't even make sense. But I find it hilarious.

Yeah, I've experienced both those things. The dreams-as-movies thing started happening some time around my early 20s and continues on to today, though I don't think it's quite as clear cut for me that it's "just a movie". Often what happens is that at some point in the middle of my dream a sort of meta-narration kicks in where I'm explaining what's happening with an understanding that it's a movie. Sometimes I'm in the "movie" and sometimes I'm not.
Up until I was 6 I had nightmares of being eaten by various different types of canine animals every night, so I think I became desensitized to being freaked out by most of my dreams, however graphic. Whatever the reason, I tend not to get too worked up over my dreams anymore. Still, I'll occasionally have a somewhat unsettling dream. The most recent one happened sometime shortly after the first time I slept with my first girlfriend. In the dream she told me "before we have sex, I think one of us should do heroin, and I think it should be you." I don't remember what happened after that but when I "woke up" I was describing it to her and she interrupted to ask who I was sleeping with, so I turned around and literally jumped awake and out of bed because I saw some other person in the bed next to me. It sounds cheesy but that does happen sometimes, I have to wake up from a dream twice, and it's always kind of freaky.

The music thing definitely happens but unfortunately I don't generally remember the tune or the lyrics. The only one I can remember is a fragment of a song I heard in one of my dreams that started "in order to steal your enemy's locusts, you beat them to death with a memory focus." I think it's usually that sort of stuff.
I love your lyric--please tell me it really was a dream composition and not a real song with which I'm not familar!!

My "movie" dreams don't necessarily occur in anything resembling a real movie theater, but there's a definite feeling that "it's only a movie" and therefore not real or threatening. So they can have zombie looking creatures or werewolves and vampires and I don't feel threatened because they're in the movie and I'm not.

thanks. yeah, that song was definitely a "lines' subconscious original."

That's interesting about how the "it's just a movie so I won't be scared" thing works for you. I don't think the part of my mind that's rationalizing the dream as a movie is usually that aware or detached from what it's seeing.

I just remembered a dream I had where I found a really old movie theater/train-station that looked like some sort of early-20th apartment high-rise in NY, and you could watch as many movies as you wanted for 1¢. The seating consisted of these gray-carpeted amphitheaters with steppes instead of seats and everyone just seemed to be wandering from one theater to the next, which were all showing grainy, super-saturated films of burning jungles.

Were your mom and your ex-wives -- especially your second wife -- a lot alike? You may have been psychologically choosing to marry women who were like your mother to deal with issues you had with your mother. Interesting that your nightmares ended after the second wife. Aren't you in a good marriage now? Or were there others?
My first wife and my mom hated each other. Lady I'm married to now (yes, a good marriage) got along with my mom when mom was behaving herself (between drug overdoses and psychotic episodes), but she chewed her out big time on the phone one time when she started wrongly accusing me.

My second wife, who was one of the most beautiful women I've ever known, looked nothing like my mom (none of my wives or girlfriends did, although early photos of my mom are pretty foxy) and when I first knew her was much more cheerful and good natured than my mom. But somewhere toward the end of our marriage--kinda the beginning of the end--I was in an argument with my mom because she was driving everyone nuts on what was supposed to be a vacation and my wife jumped in my mom's side; and suddenly I realized how very alike the two of them were in many ways. Like I said, beginning of the end. I didn't even like my mother and now I suddenly discovered I had married her!!! So yeah, that's probably why they always get on my case when they show up in my dreams.

On some level, you must have had better relationships with the old girlfriends than your ex-wives.
Oh, definitely. Nearly every girl I dated and then we drifted apart, we usually came back together sometime later for another fling or at least remained friends. Not my ex-wives!!! With them the parting words were "eat worms and die!" You couldn't have tied me up and thrown me back on either of them.

I think it was my second wife who once told me I was a great date but a lousy husband, and I think that was fairly close to the truth. In my current marriage, I once ran off for a week with an old girlfriend who had come back into my life, but realized in time that the lightening I was trying to bottle in that relationship had already fizzled. Called up my wife and said "Please let me come home." She did and we went to a counseler--my suggestion--and in the process it suddenly dawned on me I have had the wrong idea about marriage most of my life. (It's like one of my favorite cousins told me when we were just teens, I wasn't in love, I was in love with the idea of being in love.) I was hung up on infatuation of those early days when its all wine and roses and you just can't wait to see your significant other again. Of course, you can't sustain that high forever, and when it seemed the flame started dying down and the heat dissipated, I thought, "well it's all over" and I'd drift on.

Infatuation is easy, all fun and games, love means responsibility and commitment, and marriage is a lot of hard work and sacrifice, but still worth it if you're working at it together.

Those sound like good dreams, though. Healthy dreams. It sounds like your mind is just keeping you functioning as a responsible adult. You're no longer the younger man who wishes he was back in the comforts of your old childhood home. Dreaming of being back in the Army, with paperwork to do, is keeping you young at heart and responsible at the same time. I would embrace those dreams -- they're better for you than mom and your ex-wives.
Yeah, it's been a while since I last had a back in the Army dream, but I know it will pop up again. Dreaming of home while in the Army and going back into the Army when I home were some of the most realistic dreams I've ever had. There's only one recurring dream that was more lifelike and even worse. When I was in my early teens I had a motorcycle that I loved showing off on and playing The Wild One, and one night I almost got broadsided by a speeding Cadillac that I never saw coming. I was making a U-turn on a highway just outside of town and suddently this car, which apparently was starting to pass me runs over in the far bar ditch to keep from running smack over me as I apparently turned in front of him. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to brake--and then suddenly everything slowed down to like stop-frame motion where I could see the Caddy's rear tire and fender move up an inch and the front wheel of my bike got an inch closer--it was like click, click, click, closer and closer and I could see as plain as day the corner of the Caddy's rear bumper was going to catch that front wheel and flip me rolling over the pavement, dirt, and debris. I knew sure as god made little green apples I was about to die.

And then suddenly the Caddy whipped by, my front wheel passed just about an inch behind the bumper and I completed my turn. Scared hell out me at the moment but by the time I got home, I'd pretty well shook it off, and the next morning I was up and on my cycle again. In time I forgot about it. Then suddenly some years ago (during my second marriage) it came back to me in a dream and I was there again watching the wheel and bumper coming together, click, click, click. I'd wake up pouring sweat, my heart beating like an anvil, and gasping like I had run a marathon. That dream would come back on occasion, always the same, and I'd see it just as plain as the night it happened. Again I haven't had it for years since my second divorce. But at the time it was the most real, most frightening dream I've ever had.

Few weeks ago, I dreamed of a movie directed by Spike Jonze titled "Joke"

It was set in a huge swimming Pool & had some sharks swimming around.
Few kids are swimming, Their parents are hanging around as well.
1 small kid feels ignored.

I can recall a scene where the small kid swims in the open mouth of a large dead shark.
The dead shark is lying on the side of the pool & it's lower half seems to be inside a sort of a cave in the swimming pool wall.
Slowly the mouth begins to close as the kids swims in, a guy swims in to get the kid out & does so.
Some small dead sharks tumble out of the mouth behind them.

Damn creepy.

I had a very strange dream last night, and for some reason, I think this must mean something. In real life, my mom has an apartment just down the street from my dads house, but it's still quite a walk. Anyway, in my dream, I was walking down the street in my pajamas to my father's house with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. (I think this took place in the morning) I think it was still summer, but for some reason it was cold. The streets were eerily empty without anyone in sight. I walked to the front door of my dad's house and saw that it was locked. I remembered that sometimes my dad forgets to lock the back door and walked around back and got in. To my surprise, it was even colder inside the house, and I had seen that the back screen door was slightly ajar. I looked around and saw snow and frost all over the furniture and walls. I think it was dark and gray in the house a sort of strange uneasy feeling inhabited the house. And the strange sound of the wind blowing surrounded me. I walked into the dining room, and saw my dad sleeping on the futon, with my dog sleeping on a blanket on the dining room table. I think I went over to pet my dog and then I woke up. This is most of what I remember happening. I had another couple of strange dreams last night, but this one seemed most compelling.

One of the other dreams involved me playing video games with some friends, even though they were extremely realistic, almost like virtual reality.

The other dream involved me once again becoming friends with a girl I liked.

Anyway, just thought I should share. I found the snow dream to be very interesting, and if you have any interpretations on it, I would be interested to hear them.
Fire walk with me.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I had a few great dreams... The first one was that I met the President with no effort at all. I had the feeling like I was going to challenge him, call him a conservative, etc. etc., I don't remember what he said, but I came with away with a feeling of "He's a great debater" and then he left, and I was alone in Air Force One (where you can take the whole country with you!)

Then, I see myself on a lake with my brother and his friends. I ride in this helicopter, and then he tells me how easy it is. I'm worried about it running out of gas, and finally pop a few Xanax and go for the ride of my lifetime. I come back, and now I'm at the house I grew up in. I ask my sister if she could take some pictures with the same red digital camera I have now. She says she's can't, how it's Sunday, and she needs to change. I laughed and said it would take only two seconds. My older cousin intervened and she supposedly took them. I got on the helicopter, it felt amazing, but shortly after I had stretched in the dream and real life, and I see it's 7:45am, and I have a message of good news on FB.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I had a dream about MoFos today, but I don't think I should post it here as it concerns some users...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.