Bringing Miscellaneous Chat back into the Now Playing section

Tools    

I absolutely miss the miscellaneous threads not being in the Now Playing section. Makes miscellaneous posting seem unimportant, and it shouldnt be as it shows a members interests outside of tv & movies.

Me personally, Ive just been posting there, tv/music, and the fantasy ball league threads.

If its to reduce drama, then just eliminate the Trump & Terrorist threads from Now Playing. I think that would do it. Is that fair?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
For me it's not a problem. Actually stops me from being dragged back down through Dante's circles of hell in some threads. I dont think it makes offtopic unimportant, Tongs. When Mofos are interested in certain OT threads they'll find them soon enough.

I absolutely miss the miscellaneous threads not being in the Now Playing section. Makes miscellaneous posting seem unimportant, and it shouldnt be as it shows a members interests outside of tv & movies.

Me personally, Ive just been posting there, tv/music, and the fantasy ball league threads.

If its to reduce drama, then just eliminate the Trump & Terrorist threads from Now Playing. I think that would do it. Is that fair?
I agree with the first point and disagree with the second.

I made the point not long ago that if moderation begins removing threads based on subject (or their level of controversy), then this becomes a subjective personal blog based only on what those in control wish to talk about as opposed to an objective open forum dedicated to all members.

I also don't like this idea that certain subjects should be banned because the subject causes people to fight (argue, debate) - this is not dependent upon the subject but upon the participants. I've seen people have knock-down-drag-outs over certain movies plots - so when this occurs should we then say "this movie" is now banned because people have begun to fight over it, and their personal disputes have carried over into other threads? Where does it end?

Personally, I have no interest in professional sports - it would be easy for me to say, "I think the baseball thread should be removed - it's causing too much disagreement and in real life we've seen actual fatal results over sports arguments." But I would never say that - because I don't believe in censorship and heck, if people want to argue, debate and fight over sports on a discussion forum, I say let 'em. I won't know or care about it because I don't look at threads that don't interest me.

It's not just to eliminate specific threads, no, and even if it were, there will always be new threads with the same issue.

The problem is that nearly all of the most controversial topics are non-movie topics, which means they often dominate that area. We did the same thing with Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets for the same reason. People are free to discuss anything, but c'mon: if someone comes to a movie forum, they shouldn't have to sift through a bunch of topics that aren't about movies if they don't want to.

And I honestly can't fathom how this could be an inconvenience for anyone, anyway; it's still ridiculously easy to find the threads in question. They all show up in New Posts, Subscribed Threads, you get notifications about quotes and mentions, and you can even get them via email.

When I open the site I immediately click on New Posts - which shows whatever threads have been bumped with new posts (no matter what category they fall under). Works for me to instantly see what's current, what's on top (what people are most interested in at the moment) and what members are talking about.

Same here. If you only look at Now Playing, you miss a lot. And if you look anywhere else, it's still there. Are people really just sitting on the home page rapt with attention, waiting for that box to update, but somehow not interested enough to refresh?

Same here. If you only look at Now Playing, you miss a lot. And if you look anywhere else, it's still there. Are people really just sitting on the home page rapt with attention, waiting for that box to update, but somehow not interested enough to refresh?
I look at my reps and mentions. Then I look at bananabox. Then I go through subforums I've been following from the day before. Trending stuff is certainly not the first thing I look at so I dont notice the offtopic threads not showing in Now Playing any more. I dont think it's a big deal. I'm going to see bumped OT threads when I go in there anyway. I prefer it this way.

Well! So much for that Unlike yall I let the Now Playing section direct my course, I dont pay attention to Subscribed Threads. NP helps me get a variety of threads being its not determined by me.

Nice gif, Tongs. Meth Damon. What is that from?

Maybe use Cap's suggestion; That would probably suit you. I would use that, but I just like flitting around.

There is no "now playing" on mobile, so I hardly see the list at all. But since freshly answered threads bump to the top, and the site's not big enough for people "wondering where the action's at" to use it to jump in conversations, is one even necessary at all?

Well, not much beyond the absolute basics is strictly necessary. I think it's a good way of drawing attention to whatever's happening at the moment, though. I expect there'd be riots if I removed it completely.

Wrong thread, though?
Isn’t this the right thread? It’s the only misc thread I could find where you could post anything.

No, this is a thread about whether the Miscellaneous forum should be included in the Now Playing box.

I guess there are a few random threads (Funny Pictures thread or whatever it's called). At least 3-4 I think but that's the only one I can think of now.

We don’t seem to have a miscellaneous thread that’s just for miscellaneous thoughts & comments. I did look.

From the phrasing I guess you're specifically searching for the word "miscellaneous" or something, then. I don't think that's in any of the titles. There's stuff like this, though:

Funny picture thread
THE MOFO CHILL CLUB
the nothing thread
Silly News Items Not Covered In The Shoutbox That Don't Warrant Individual Threads

Anyway, this thread is about a policy change awhile back where I excluded threads in the Intermission forum from the Now Playing box on the home page, mostly because a lot of those threads were games or tabs that got updated a ton and came to crowd out everything else (and were never movie-related by definition).