My 10 Favorite 70's Movies

Tools    

The truth is in here
One of Pacino’s rawest and most heartfelt performances. And the directing by Sidney Lumet is superb, a talent we could really use today.

The Deer Hunter (1978)

Director: Michael Cimino
Writers: Michael Cimino (story), Deric Washburn (story)
Cast: Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, John Cazale
Genre: Drama and War
Runtime: 3 Hours and 3 Minutes
Rated R

As much as how long this movie was, I thought this was a good and touching movie about three friends going out to war at Vietnam and after their dreams of military honor are quickly shattered by the inhumanities of war, they must help each other get away from these Vietnam savages so they can make it back to their home base in Pennsylvania. The russian roulette scene was intense and boy Michael (Robert De Niro) showed those bad guys not to f*ck with him after the tragic event that just happened to him and his friends.

"A deer has to be taken with one shot. I try to tell people that but they don't listen." - Michael played by Robert De Niro

Trailer Notes: Another trailer that reminds us in text on what this movie is and it does it for 21 times.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The Godfather Part II (1974)

Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay by), Mario Puzo (screenplay by)
Cast: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall
Genre: Crime and Drama
Runtime: 3 Hours and 22 Minutes
Rated R

This was a great sequel to the original movie and Pacino's performance in the sequel was outstanding, showing us how much his character becomes more of a cold hearted type person that only cares about power, money and nothing else after his father, Vito passes away. Also Robert De Niro was a great addition to the movie, playing young Vito and seeing him rise from shop assistant to mob boss.

“My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.” - Michael Corleone played by Al Pacino

Trailer Notes: The tone of the music in this trailer is great.

Just want to note that I'll be revealing two more entries tomorrow and Friday since I would like to get it done before I can reveal my ballot list on the Mofo Top 100 of All Time Countdown list. There's some Honorable Mentions with posters coming this Friday after revealing my #1 and #2 movie.

I love this movie too...if I did a top films of the 70's list, it would be somewhere in my top five.
You should do a list.

The Deer Hunter (1978)
One of my fave movies. Ever. Seen it a million times. DeNiro in this movie is what I consider to be the perfect man. Tall, dark & handsome, kind & brave & gentle.

You should do a list.

One of my fave movies. Ever. Seen it a million times. DeNiro in this movie is what I consider to be the perfect man. Tall, dark & handsome, kind & brave & gentle.
If you skip to 2:35 on this video, I love how he laughs at the bad guys and well you know what happens from there lol

If you skip to 2:35 on this video, I love how he laughs at the bad guys and well you know what happens from there lol

All hell breaks out! Always loved the transition from the wedding to Vietnam.

The two reveals for today, tomorrow is the big shabang, the last two reveals and the honorable mentions with 2 parts of movie posters

Taxi Driver (1976)

Director: Martin Scorsese
Writer: Paul Schrader
Cast: Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd
Runtime: 1 Hours and 54 Minutes
Rated R

A good dark and gritty film by Martin Scorsese and wonderful movie performance by Robert De Niro. I like how he narrates the movie as he tells us about his character that is this mentally unstable man that suffers from loneliness and isolation and seeing a society full of scum while working as an night-time taxi driver in New York City. Good thing I never lived in NYC in the 70's it looks sad and depressing for sure.

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man." - Travis Bickle played by Robert De Niro

Trailer Notes: Not a bad trailer, other than repeating the title at the beginning and repeating it two times at the end was weird, that's all I got to say.

The Godfather (1972)

Writers: Mario Puzo (screenplay by), Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay by)
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan
Runtime: 2 Hours and 55 Minutes
Rated R

One of the best mafia movies ever made with a good cast in it and it's always a pleasure to see pacino in these type of movies. The thing I like about these mob movies that they show you the dangerous life of being in a mafia and being the target of rival mafia families, if you're not careful enough you may get whacked at the wrong place and the wrong time. Heck you may even get whacked by your own family if you screw things up for them.

"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?" - Don Vito Corleone played by Marlon Brando

Trailer Notes: You gotta love the theme song playing in the trailer.

The Warriors (1979)

Director: Walter Hill
Writers: Sol Yurick (based on the novel by), David Shaber (screenplay by)
Stars: Michael Beck, James Remar, Dorsey Wright
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hours and 32 Minutes
Rated R

I found this a fun film to watch and loved the movie's plot as well. The characters, atmosphere and soundtrack was great and the music played when the Warriors are getting chased all over NYC was intense, it makes you wonder if they will survive the night against the gangs that they run into while trying to get back to their home base which is Coney Island. Also the movie has a nice song to end the film, which I think goes perfectly on how the movie ends.

"Warriors, Come out to play-i-ay" - Luther played by David Patrick Kelly

Trailer Notes: The music in this trailer sounds cool.

- Movie ending song - In The City by Joe Walsh

Halloween (1978)

Director: John Carpenter
Writers: John Carpenter (screenplay by), Debra Hill (screenplay by)
Stars: Donald Pleasence, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tony Moran
Genre: Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hours and 31 Minutes
Rated R

One of the first horror movies that I have seen when I was young and imo, one of the best horror movies ever made. If you're looking for a good slasher film to watch, this would be one. It may not a bloody movie but love how the movie plays with your mind as it's got a nice chilling soundtrack and got this
masked psycho killer (Michael Myers) stalking and killing people for no apparent reason which I find a creepy thing to see. I think John Carpenter did a great job with the film overall and the movie's theme song also.

"It's Halloween; everyone's entitled to one good scare." - Sheriff Brackett played by Charles Cyphers

Trailer Notes: Despite the good music score in this trailer, it seems like it needs to remind us about five times on what this movie is. You know I thought the movie was called Thanksgiving, remind me again :P

Honorable Mention Part 1

...and justice for all. (1979)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)- Director's Cut version
Live or Let Die (1973)
Moonraker (1979)
National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Superman (1978)
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

Honorable Mention Part 2

Death Wish (1974)
Dirty Harry (1971)
Jaws (1975)
Mad Max (1979)
Marathon Man (1976)
Mean Streets (1973)
Rocky (1976)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

I hope you guys all enjoyed my 10 favorite 70's Movies thread

Here's the list from my old 70's movies list when I had 20
20. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
19. Mad Max (1979)
18. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
17. Rocky (1976)
16. National Lampoon's Animal House (1974)
15. Jaws (1975)
14. Dirty Harry (1971)
13. Death Wish (1974)
12. Mean Streets (1973)
11. Apocalypse Now (1979)
10. Marathon Man (1976)
9. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
8.The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
7. Carrie (1976)
6. The Warriors (1979)
5. Star Wars (1977)
4. The Deer Hunter (1978)
3. Taxi Driver (1976)
2. Halloween (1978)
1. Godfather (1972)

I just want to say the 70's movies was a solid year for films, not the best decade I'd say but not the worst also. It was nice to experience some of the stuff they had and what happened back in the 70's as we seen in the movies.

I'll be doing an 80's favorite movies list soon which will probably be more than 10 movies, unlike the 80's there's more movies that I loved and I think it would be tough to narrow the list down to 10 movies as it wasn't that hard for me to do with the 70's movies

Victim of The Night

The Godfather (1972)

Writers: Mario Puzo (screenplay by), Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay by)
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan
Runtime: 2 Hours and 55 Minutes
Rated R

One of the best mafia movies ever made with a good cast in it and it's always a pleasure to see pacino in these type of movies. The thing I like about these mob movies that they show you the dangerous life of being in a mafia and being the target of rival mafia families, if you're not careful enough you may get whacked at the wrong place and the wrong time. Heck you may even get whacked by your own family if you screw things up for them.

"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?"

Trailer Notes: You gotta love the theme song playing in the trailer.

Properly placing The Godfather above its sequel where it belongs.
Like to see it.

Victim of The Night

The Warriors (1979)
I've been a fan of The Warriors for over 30 years.
Siskel and Ebert both panned it.
**** those guys.

I've been a fan of The Warriors for over 30 years.
Siskel and Ebert both panned it.
**** those guys.
Yea fk em lol, The Warriors was a good film

Anyone that sees this, If you were to make a list of your 10 favorite 70's Movies, what would they be?

Great list and great writeups. A bunch of favorites of mine there.

Anyone that sees this, If you were to make a list of your 10 favorite 70's Movies, what would they be?
Oh god, this was hard. I decided to only have one movie per directer, so I had to sacrifice some Hal Ashby's.

1. Harold and Maude
  2. Dog Day Afternoon
  3. The Marriage of Maria Braun
  4. Taxi Driver
  5. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
  6. The Devils
  7. Five Easy Pieces
  8. Lacombe Lucien
  9. Blue Collar
  10. Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid