What do you think of the movie Parasite (2019)?

Tools    

It's getting there. If the production is good and movie is good, it becomes hard to ignore. Innit? No matter Spielberg or anyone says.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well it's just so far, every Netflix original I see hasn't been very good, if not bad. I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but I haven't seen anything best picture worthy on there. Maybe in time though.

Oh I see. So the Oscars perhaps favors Netflix films more now?
Well, that's not inherent in what he said. All that's inherent in what he said is that they have a lot of nominees right now and might next year as well.

I think just rereading the posts should clear things up.

Well it's just so far, every Netflix original I see hasn't been very good, if not bad. I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but I haven't seen anything best picture worthy on there. Maybe in time though.
Yes, nothing of that level yet. But quite a few good ones have been on Netflix.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thr...riginal-movies

See if you have missed anything from here and give it a try. I quite liked #5. It made me remember Echo & Bunnymen's Bring on the dancing horses!

Oh okay, I haven't seen those ones particularly, but other ones.

Reading most of the first page, it's amazing how practically every time Yoda speaks politics I'm like "how do you do this so calmly and accurately?"

That aside, it's a bit hard for me to consider the Park's the villains of the piece because their only sin seemed to be that they were a little dysfunctional. I mean the crap that the Kim's pulled on them was occasionally unforgivable.

Best movie of 2019? I don't think so. I have to watch a few others to be sure, because I think I need to watch Parasite again after watching some others. It's still Endgame for me right now.

The story and characters were fantastic and the mood was perfect. When I'm at home watching something, I have a tendency to pause every 20 minutes to check up on things around the house. I didn't want to pause after a while. But the technique felt minimalist, where movies like Mulholland Drive, which isn't perfect, had more technique and more story.

WARNING: spoilers below
I'd lose my **** if I ever became allergic to peaches.

Mini series. Talk about getting carried away. It would definitely ruin this bombshell of a movie.

Yeah, it fits a lot of ideological bents, if you want it to, which is common with any remotely thoughtful movie since the only ones that aren't obvious are the ones that are overtly polemical. It does clearly have a point of view, but as expected it's not as clumsy as the anti-capitalist praise for it would suggest. Even if it's critical of capitalism, I think the people sympathetic to that view are seeing more of that than there necessarily is.

What I find fascinating is the gulf in reaction between Parasite and Joker even though they both depict desperate, underprivileged people doing extreme things in the face of an uncaring society.

Parasite is divided. I think JoJo Rabbit had more people divided than Joker.

Joker is a great film, just hard luck it got stuck in this year's releases. Any other year, 2018, 2017 etc, it wins the golden statue.

Yeah, it fits a lot of ideological bents, if you want it to, which is common with any remotely thoughtful movie since the only ones that aren't obvious are the ones that are overtly polemical. It does clearly have a point of view, but as expected it's not as clumsy as the anti-capitalist praise for it would suggest. Even if it's critical of capitalism, I think the people sympathetic to that view are seeing more of that than there necessarily is.

What I find fascinating is the gulf in reaction between Parasite and Joker even though they both depict desperate, underprivileged people doing extreme things in the face of an uncaring society.
When you say gulf in reaction, what gulf in reaction do you mean?

When you say gulf in reaction, what gulf in reaction do you mean?
I mean that some people see Parasite as an important message about the effects of economic inequality, while simultaneously disliking Joker for daring to humanize incels (or whatever vaguely right-leaning posture they've decided to project onto the protagonist).

To be clear, I don't think either film justifies violence as a response, they both merely depict it, and the failure to distinguish between depicting something (or even just explaining how it can come to pass) and endorsing it is a constant problem with reflexive social critiques of art. But it's revealing that people have not always had consistent reactions to the two.

Welcome to the human race...

Like the man said, it's how the movie's about it. Parasite keeps its narrative focused on its key theme of class warfare and that informs every aspect so there's a similar consistency to the reactions whereas Joker tries to spin too many plates at once and ends up being scattered in such a way that it divides reactions further.

Like the man said, it's how the movie's about it. Parasite keeps its narrative focused on its key theme of class warfare and that informs every aspect so there's a similar consistency to the reactions whereas Joker tries to spin too many plates at once and ends up being scattered in such a way that it divides reactions further.
I'm fine with purely cinematic critiques of one and not the other. It's reasonable to have different reactions to them as films. The contradiction occurs when the critique isn't artistic, but societal, and finds one to be a righteous symbol of underprivileged anger and the other a dangerous normalization of same.

Is Joker really incel though? I didn't see the character this way since he never bothers to try to get sex, the entire movie? He has one fantasy with a woman, but he never bothers to even try to make it real with her. I feel that in order for a character to be considered incel in fiction, he has to at least try and fail to get sex.

Is Joker really incel though? I didn't see the character this way since he never bothers to try to get sex, the entire movie? He has one fantasy with a woman, but he never bothers to even try to make it real with her. I feel that in order for a character to be considered incel in fiction, he has to at least try and fail to get sex.
I'm not sure if I'd define it that way, but it's ultimately beside the point. That's why I included this:
(or whatever vaguely right-leaning posture they've decided to project onto the protagonist)
What matters is that there are some related characteristics and some people have decided this to be the case. It's a pretty thoughtless, kneejerk posture by its very nature, so it's not surprising that possible category errors like this fall by the wayside.

Full of Spoilers. But nicely explained.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
These threads literally give me headaches. And I hate using the word literally.

@Yoda did you get to watch this one yet? I just finished it and really enjoyed it without all the baggage of socio-political metaphors being crammed into my eyes. I just watched a movie and it was good. I felt it was open aired enough to take away or project what you want. Though the son does say, a few times in the early scenes, "This is so metaphorical!" So there's that.

If you haven't watched it yet, don't touch the rest of my reply. It's to the OP.

Looks like most of the original points were touched on. As to the...
WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
...hand hold as an awkward implication of some potential romantic connection, no. That was immediately after the scene in which he picked up the tissue paper with hot sauce as though the maid had TB. The wife even asked "Did you wash your hands?" I'm pretty sure that was why she was acting weird, rather than love or lust with an old, smelly guy beneath her station.

Also, who would choose a shower over the potential life in prison, the death penalty, or the risk of rape on a regular basis? Seriously? He ran and hid in the only place he could think of. He admits to never making plans. He didn't analyze his situation to determine options for practical comparisons. He responded, as his wife described, like a roach when the lights turn on. Just run to hide. As he did. As it was set up within the story to understand his character. As everything else was also shown within the movie.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm not sure if I'd define it that way, but it's ultimately beside the point. That's why I included this:
(or whatever vaguely right-leaning posture they've decided to project onto the protagonist)
What matters is that there are some related characteristics and some people have decided this to be the case. It's a pretty thoughtless, kneejerk posture by its very nature, so it's not surprising that possible category errors like this fall by the wayside.
Yeah I can see that. Could people be responding more negatively to Joker, cause Joker got a lot more negative press in comparison to Parasite?