Disappointing Movies

Tools    

The trick is not minding
2 films I watched recently that were disappointing were The Go Between and The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith.

Go Between is even listed among the top 100 British films ever made, and I felt The Whisperers is a far more deserving film that was excluded.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I remember way back thinking that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not near as bad as people made it out to be. Maybe I need to watch it again to see what all the hate was about.

One movie I still haven't been able to get through and find unwatchable is Brazil (1985). It's considered to be such a classic but it goes way, way over the top for me, to the point where it just tries to hard. I still have only to been able to get halfway through before I give up, but perhaps I should try again.

I remember way back thinking that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not near as bad as people made it out to be. Maybe I need to watch it again to see what all the hate was about.

One movie I still haven't been able to get through and find unwatchable is Brazil (1985). It's considered to be such a classic but it goes way, way over the top for me, to the point where it just tries to hard. I still have only to been able to get halfway through before I give up, but perhaps I should try again.
You should. It's been a while since the last time I saw Brazil, but I always thought it was genius.

Keep in mind, it's a metaphor, a surrealist fantasy - it's not a sci-fi about a potential dystopian future that follows standards of storytelling to deliver something that is at least credible (if not possible) because everything in it is symbolic, so don't try to view it as a kind of realistic or logical narrative.

Welcome to the human race...
I especially take issue with Ryan being portrayed as a hero despite selfishly making his mates risk their lives.
I thought it was more that Ryan had the choice between staying behind to help his own squadmates fight off an incoming offensive or be the only one who managed to get away for the sake of a PR exercise - in that context, him leaving comes across as the more selfish option (in any case, it's all in service of a greater point that neither choice is a good one in the context of war).

Anyway, trying to think of my own pick for this thread and I think Crank fits the bill. The high concept is a good one - man must track down the people who poisoned him with a drug that will kill him if he doesn't maintain a constant adrenaline high - but the fact that it just ends up settling for endlessly juvenile bullsh*t and very rarely merits any remotely decent moments of action just makes it a waste (and the sequel escalates all these problems seemingly because it can, making for one of my least favourite films ever).

Almost all movies are disappointing. This thread topic is bottomless, like pit of despair that is the cheap DVD bin at Walmart.

The truth is in here
I thought it was more that Ryan had the choice between staying behind to help his own squadmates fight off an incoming offensive or be the only one who managed to get away for the sake of a PR exercise - in that context, him leaving comes across as the more selfish option (in any case, it's all in service of a greater point that neither choice is a good one in the context of war).
That does make more sense. I still feel the movie was too riddled with clichés and overly patriotic in tone to take seriously though. The "schmaltz" that the director gets criticized for is more of a problem and out of place in this movie than it is in E.T.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You should. It's been a while since the last time I saw Brazil, but I always thought it was genius.

Keep in mind, it's a metaphor, a surrealist fantasy - it's not a sci-fi about a potential dystopian future that follows standards of storytelling to deliver something that is at least credible (if not possible) because everything in it is symbolic, so don't try to view it as a kind of realistic or logical narrative.

Oh, ok. But what do you mean by symbolism?

I've seen lots of disappointing films, but whenever this topic comes up, my first thought goes to Congo. That film managed to be disappointing even to my teenage self. The thing is that I had read Crichton's novel a couple of years before and I loved it. So when I saw the cardboard cutout for this in the theater, I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, the film ended up being a stupid campfest.

I've seen lots of disappointing films, but whenever this topic comes up, my first thought goes to Congo. That film managed to be disappointing even to my teenage self. The thing is that I had read Crichton's novel a couple of years before and I loved it. So when I saw the cardboard cutout for this in the theater, I was ecstatic. Unfortunately, the film ended up being a stupid campfest.
I'm in complete agreement. I think the main problem is that nobody seemed to have any passion for the project. It reeks of a shameless attempt to ride Jurassic Park's coattails, which is of course a shame because it's a very good novel and thus had the potential to be so much more. With the exception of Dylan Walsh as Dr. Elliot, who I think gives a strong performance, I got the impression that nobody's heart was really in it.

Then again, there's Amy the gorilla, who I can't imagine translating to the screen - at least a live action one - without there being any unintentional humor. Maybe it should have been an animated movie? I don't know.

I'm in complete agreement. I think the main problem is that nobody seemed to have any passion for the project. It reeks of a shameless attempt to ride Jurassic Park's coattails, which is of course a shame because it's a very good novel and thus had the potential to be so much more. With the exception of Dylan Walsh as Dr. Elliot, who I think gives a strong performance, I got the impression that nobody's heart was really in it.

Then again, there's Amy the gorilla, who I can't imagine translating to the screen - at least a live action one - without there being any unintentional humor. Maybe it should have been an animated movie? I don't know.
I think it was more an issue with tone. I felt they were leaning more towards camp and hammy humor than genuine thrills. In that respect, I think Tim Curry and, to a certain extent, Ernie Hudson were in on it. But like you said, this had the potential to be so much more.

As for Amy, I assume they went the way they did because it would've been too hard to work around the "ape speaking sign language" premise; but the "talking ape" ended up feeling silly in the end. Maybe now with new technology they can pull it out (just look at the recent Planet of the Apes films), but I also felt the novel lent itself to a slow-build mini-series format.

A system of cells interlinked
I've seen lots of disappointing films, but whenever this topic comes up, my first thought goes to Congo.
I used to think this about Congo, but then I found out that the entire film was shot in Chuck Norris' crotch, at which point it became a favorite forever.

Chuck Norris has a talking gorilla roaming around his crotch? That would explain a great many things.

But anyway, Michael Crichton's novels seem like they'd translate to blockbuster movie gold, but with the exception of Jurassic Park, they're mostly crap. I couldn't even finish The 13th Warrior because I found it incredibly boring. Granted, I haven't seen The Great Train Robbery, which I've heard good things about.

A system of cells interlinked
Chuck Norris has a talking gorilla roaming around his crotch? That would explain a great many things.

But anyway, Michael Crichton's novels seem like they'd translate to blockbuster movie gold, but with the exception of Jurassic Park, they're mostly crap. I couldn't even finish The 13th Warrior because I found it incredibly boring. Granted, I haven't seen The Great Train Robbery, which I've heard good things about.
Sphere was also pretty rough, if I recall.

The Great Train Robbery is pretty great, mostly because of Sutherland and Connery. I even remember liking The 13th Warrior, but it's been 20+ years. I barely remember the film itself now, but everybody seems to diss it now, so I don't know how it would fare now with me.

I never saw Sphere or The Andromeda Strain, and I barely remember Rising Sun and Disclosure.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper

Oh okay, thanks I should try to watch the whole thing again. I know it's a metaphor from what other people tell me, but to me Brazil kind of feels like this:

With the metaphore being the toothpick if that makes sense.

Oh okay, thanks I should try to watch the whole thing again. I know it's a metaphor from what other people tell me, but to me Brazil kind of feels like this:

With the metaphore being the toothpick if that makes sense.
Exactly! Robert De Niro as "Harry Tuttle" symbolizes the toothpick!

Im talkin Wild Wild West level stuff here! XMen 3 Spidey 3 Pirates 3! All stunk, but had no business stinking. Some movies fall short, but this is aimed towards movies with money, talent, time, and marketing there shouldnt be failures.

Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull was horrendous! So bad I wonder if Speilbergs lost his touch. Harrison and he held out for 15 or so years...for that!? Truly a "WTF!?" type movie. Remember kids - Monkies hate russians.

I could go on a rant about The Thin Red Line, but I wont. It dissappointed. Very much.

Never saw Speed 2. Heard it sucked a bunch.

Aliens 3 was a stinker. Droopy, gloomy, and they were fighting a dog alien! Who gives a spit about some dumbassed dog alien when the android, the marine, and the kid died BEFORE THE BEGINNING CREDITS WERE DONE! They strived to f-up in that movie. Actually thats like X-Men 3 where they killed Cyclops with a star trek security guard indifference.

What the hell was the storyline about in Spider-Man 3?! Augh! Pick a villain you wanting to sell a toy m-****ers!

Another thing on Wild Wild West....I heard beforehand how bad it was. I felt mentally prepared to watch it, and not take it serious. FAIL! Oh the waste! Salmas hiney couldnt save!

George Romero has been passed by. His last two zombie movies were "Meh".

No Country For Old Men should NOT have won Best Picture, and yeah its because of the last 30 minutes. Oh so sorry, but if the Coehns were focused throughout that work it would have been an incredible three way shootout not seen since The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Im not dissuaded by the marketing machine! THEY BLEW IT! Straight up - Way of The Gun was a better movie.
Speed 2 was dreadful, you didn't miss anything.