Dustin Hoffman appreciation thread

Tools    

I have quite a few, but out of the best, I have these . . .

The Graduate (1967)
Little Big Man (1970)
All the President's Men (1976)
Straight Time (1978)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
Tootsie (1982)
Rain Man (1988)
Hero (1992)

I'll Netflix the rest.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

The very next year saw a return to incredible mainstream success with Kramer vs. Kramer (1979 - Robert Benton). As one of the first films to deal with the expanding issue of divorce in America, it seems more than a bit silly that the mother is cast as the irresponsible heavy and daddy the triumphant and sensitive hero, but this is a Hollywood film, and who do you think runs the place (especially in 1979) but a bunch of divorced men.
In compiling my top 100 films list I'm going through some of these old threads. Little Big Man makes the cut for me, and The Graduate, Straw Dogs, Midnight Cowboy, all come close, but don't make the cut.

I recently watched Straight Time on Netflix instant and agree with you that it's an amazing performance.

However, I have mentioned this to you before at Moviejustice, but I'm going to call you out here as well. Normally I agree with a lot of your opinions and even when I disagree with you I still can understand your point of view.

I'm surprised that someone as intelligent, well read, and who has seen as many movies would take issue with Kramer vs Kramer. It also surprised me that you call something as non-cliche' as the father being the responsible one as silly.

You can cite more films than I can, but I think Hollywood has beat to death the idea of the mother as the loving nurturing one with the father being absent, a dead beat, or whatever. It's been done a million times... from Mildred Pierce to Mrs. Doubtfire to Family Man. Those are three movies that come to the top of my head.

The fact is, whether you acknowledge it or not, many MANY of the parents who are most responsible and caring are fathers. Regardless of how our court system tends to give custody to the mother in these situations, there are plenty of wonderful single dads. I think it's a testament to the film that it shows the other side of the coin and plays to the situation that's in the minority.

Antecdotal evidence here, but I come from a divorced family and my mother went to college and really didn't want the hassle of raising me as her child. I don't blame her for that and as an adult am OK with her now. However it was my father, much like the father in the film, who looked for jobs and supported me - at times with very little income.

This is one reason why I take issue with your critique on the film and even though you're one of the most intelligent film-goers I've met - online or in person, I find it shocking that your opinion on Kramer vs. Kramer is entirely uniformed, naive, and group-think.

SO yes, I'll call you out on this one.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think you're over-interpreting a sentence or two. Basically Holden was saying that it was unusual that one of the first big mainstream movies dealing with divorce was Kramer vs. Kramer where the Dad (sorta representing divorced Hollywood execs after a fashion, at least in Hold's satirical perspective) is the good guy and the Mom is the equivalent of the Wicked Witch. I think that Holden would have preferred a more even-handed treatment whether or not it represents the life which you lived. Of course, this is the Hoffman Appreciation thread and he does appreciate Hoffman's performance in the movie. Thus, there is really no need to mention that the year before there was a critically-acclaimed look at divorce from the female side called An Unmarried Woman.

Then again, I could be wrong and it's none of my business. I just read both posts and believe that you can both be correct in your analysis without pointing fingers. Hopefully, Holden will see this and respond since that post is six years old.

Semper Fooey
I disagree Kramer verus Kramer was one of the first movies dealing with divorce.

People were getting divorced in movies as far back as the 1930s.

There was even a movie from the sixties called Divorce American Style.

There had been plenty of movies about self sacrificng mothers (Stella Dallas, Mildred Pierce) so why not a movie where the father is the hero?

It isn't like the story was total fantasy. There have been real life child custody cases with similar corcumstances. Some mothers do abandon their children, then try to get custody years later.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
... Kramer vs. Kramer where the Dad (sorta representing divorced Hollywood execs after a fashion, at least in Hold's satirical perspective) is the good guy and the Mom is the equivalent of the Wicked Witch. I think that Holden would have preferred a more even-handed treatment whether or not it represents the life which you lived.
Well I'm sure there are plenty of dead beat moms out in Hollywood, as I'm sure many of those execs are so busy in their careers they probably don't have time to raise kids, and rely on nannys, babysitters, etc. Anywho, if there is a Hollywood exec that somehow wants to ease his conscious by making a movie about a good father - this theoritical exec's opposite - I'm sure the mother involved is enjoying his astronomical child support.

And I'm not sure what even-handed treatment is. If my case was singular it would be fine, but it is in the minority and it's nice for Hollywood to shine light on something that is pushed under the rug - single fathers raising children. So rare in Hollywood as they resort to the cliche' dead beat father who doesn't care, it's practically an archetype and a plot device that writes itself.

Long live Dustin Hoffman. Can t believe he is 71. I have watched him age through his films. My favorites are
Kramer vs Kramer
Tootsie
Rainman
What a man!!!!!!!!
Have seen a lot of his films but have to check out his latest.

I just watched The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy.. He's a great actor.. I'm gonna check out some movies mentioned here.

My Favorite Dustin Hoffman Movies Are......

Little Big Man
All The Presidents Men
Midnight Cowboy
The Graduate
Rain Man

Ranking his movies

1. Kramer vs Kramer
2. The Graduate
3. Rain Man
4. Stranger then Fiction
5. Midnight Cowboy
6. Meet the Fockers
7. Barneys Version
8. Little Fockers

Very pleased to see STRAIGHT TIME at the top of your list...I think it's one of Hoffman's least seen and most powerful performances. He's just mesmerizing in that one. I think he was robbed of Best Actor Oscars for MIDNIGHT COWBOY and TOOTSIE and he's heartbreaking in KRAMER VS KRAMER. I also thought he more than held his own opposite Redford in ALL THE PRESIDENT'SS MEN and Olivier in MARATHON MAN. This is an actor of enormous generosity onscreen who can allow a fellow actor to take a scene when it is necessary and listen believably but has never allowed ANY actor to blow him off the screen ever...the man is a true artist and every performance of his is a master class in acting.

Dustin Hoffman is so good at delivering when you don't expect him to, i loved him at the graduate, papillon and all the president's men , he carries the movie so well and you never get tired of watching him.

Haven't updated this thread in a long time.

Dustin Hoffman has continued to be in good and interesting projects. I'm sure lending his voice to the Kung Fu Panda series is a lot of fun as well as lucrative. Wouldn't mind seeing Dusty and Jack Black do something together live-action, see how their screen energies and personas play off of each other. I still think Stranger Than Fiction (2006) is one of the most unerrrated, underappreciated wonderful films of the past ten years.

Dustin and one of his co-stars from that project, Emma Thompson, followed it up with a very charming little movie called Last Chance Harvey (2008), which breaks exactly no new ground but does everything just right. David Milch's race track series "Luck" (2011) on HBO proved to be ill-fated, and was canceled before it was complete due to horses dying on the set. But Hoffman was excellent as the career mobster who has just been released from his most recent prison stretch and is looking to get revenge on the fellow criminals who he deems responsible for his incarceration, as well as take control of a racetrack.

Decades after his aborted attempt to helm Straight Time, the consumate actor's actor finally got behind the camera to direct the English dramedy Quartet (2012) starring Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Billy Connolly, Pauline Collins, and Michael Gambon, adapted from Ronald Harwood's play. And you can see Hoffman in theaters right now as part of the impressive ensemble in Jon Favreau's very enjoyable Chef (2014).

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	recent hoffman.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	15688   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoffman today.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	15689  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra