Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Juventude em marcha [Colossal Youth] (2006) -

Cavalo dinheiro [Horse Money] (2014) -

Pedro Costa proves to be an exquisite luminist meticulously composing tableaux vivants through static camera takes. The final result is nothing more than breathtaking. I still have a couple of shots engraved in my mind. I like how in these two films the protagonist, Ventura, is somehow suspended between the world of the past and ghosts and the world of today and living creatures. I believe that a Cape Verdean would understand these films better, but after all film is, and these two are not different, a universal language, so these spoke volumes to me. I slightly prefered Colossal Youth, but I've seen both one after another and the overall experience was superb.

Mes petites amoureuses [My Little Loves] (1974) -

Very Bressonian. Much more than The Mother and the Whore and just like Bresson films, very beautiful with some underlying sadness. What a pity Eustache commited suicide. Two masterpieces isn't enough!

Confessions of an Opium Eater [Souls for Sale] (1962) -

Not sure if this is a spoof on the whole oriental adventure genre, or just another film of this kind. Of course, the drug-induced surrealist parts are trippy fun at its best, but the sadness coming out from the whole caged beauties slave trade is evident.

Lyman H. Howe's Famous Ride on a Runaway Train (1921) -

Проект инженера Прайта [Engineer Prite's Project] (1918) -

Kuleshov's debut is alright, but holy cow isn't the other short amazing.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Care for some gopher?
Rust and Bone (Jacques Audiard, 2012) -
+
Shijibganeun nal The Wedding Day (Lee Byung-il, 1956) -

True Heart Susie (David Wark Griffith, 1919) -
+
Robin Hood (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1973) -
+

Not as good as advertised but still quite enjoyable. Once Maui shows up it becomes pretty darn entertaining. A couple of the songs are good and it looks great throughout. The skin tone and gender SJW critics need to slow their roll a bit. I'm glad they think movies like this are a sign strides are being made but in reality this is the same princess fairy tale Disney has been telling since they started storytelling on the big screen.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) -

It's been awhile since I saw an Altman film, but now I feel like watching all the rest of his more famous works (like Nashville, The Player and Shortcuts). This may be my favourite anti-western (anti-spaghetti?), even. It's pretty slow and there's not much action (as opposed to spaghetti westerns that already entered their dying period in 1971), but it's never boring. Of course, the grand finale in snow is a masterpiece of tension building and I found myself really rooting for the character (probably because he wasn't an indestructible badass like so many of these spag heroes), but it wasn't hard to foresee the very ending and get the moral. I also think that this little love subplot was adorable for some reason. And hell, that slender boy might've died, but at least he did like 10 bitches before.

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1965) -

Wow, if you compare it to some other spy flicks, like Hitchcock's efforts, or James Bond franchise, you see a lot of difference. The previous movies should be considered fairy tale spy movies, whereas The Spy... is a true realistic spy movie. It makes you realize that spies, as well as we - people, are only tiny pawns in a big game. And it doesn't matter if it's the game of Marx, God, or something else - either way we're f*cked. That ending surely is a shocker. Also, Burton gives an outstanding performance. He's bluffing so good you don't really know if he plays a liar who lies, or just tries to play this part as if he was telling the truth. It's hard to tell if his character is jaded, or restrained. Maybe both?

Weiner

The first movie I've seen to immerse you in the actual day to day life of a politician. A very honest and revealing documentary about an occupation that is anything but. Easily one of the year's best movies.

Witches of Eastwick

It's pretty incredible that the most normal stuff I've seen from George Miller is Mad Max. This started off like a movie, but hastily morphs into a hell nightmare. The screenplay alone would melt David Lynch's mind. Nothing in this is right. It is so out of touch, so inhuman. I imagine that if space aliens made a movie, it would be more comprehensive than this.

It's a movie about women, written from the perspective of a man who has just recently in the past week discovered their existence. This man is also on an acid trip and eats paint chips for subsistence.

Then a gigantic animatronic Jack Nicholson appears.

Brave

One of two Pixar movies I've never seen, this one was pretty good. Not hugely memorable, but Pixar's off day is usually better than most stuff anyway.

Cars 2

The other one I hadn't seen. The concept is actually pretty insane though. Cars James Bond movie. It doesn't live up to the premise at all, but at least they tried something different.

but Cars 1 is still an alright movie in my book

Hell or High Water

Bank robber movie with Jeff Bridge. That's about all I can remember about this one.

Spoorloos

Dutch thriller, later remade with Jeff Bridge. This one really sucked me in. Intense finale.

Arrival

I thought Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners was a strong flick, but none of his other stuff had really impressed me until now. I'll have to watch it again to see if it holds up, but Blade Runner 2 might be in good hands here.

Even though it's the dumbest idea ever.

The Nice Guys

finish last

Under the Shadow

No budget horror flick set in Iran, which is illustrated as a phantom ruin. Although slightly let down by it's effects, it remains an anxious, terrifying experience with a very sharp and singular message. Get out.

Tickled

This is some **** Sexy Celebrity would watch. Turns out there are underground tickling rings set up across the world and the ring leader is a manipulative psychopath.

Documentary.

Eraserhead

One of the few Lynch flicks I hadn't seen yet. I think it's up and away his best work. Eraserhead showcases his bizarre vision in full effect, with incredible sound design and special effects. Although there is an honesty here in the dread, that his other movies never really achieved.

Clueless

Super 90's girl movie. Wittier and funnier than you would expect.

Moana

Another polished, entertaining 3D musical from Disney. The songs range from brilliant to lame, the visuals are wondrous with incredible use of color. The story's relatively weak. Something about a ocean rock I think. And a chicken. The rock wants to eat the chicken, but he has a hook that turns him into a shark.

Blue Velvet

Very uneven flick. A really strong first half where the guy from Twin Peaks meets the woman from Jurassic Park. Followed by a decreasingly intense second half where Cooper encounters Bowser from the mario movie. It also wraps up in this weird, sap fest music video.

Duelle (une quarantaine) [Twilight (A Quarantine)] (1976) -

Note: This opinion is partly sarcastic (but only partly!).

Duelle is supposed to be some Sailor Moon spin-off, only that one of them is the sorceress of the Moon, while the other one the sorceress of the Sun, and they're supposed to fight with each other, but there are hardly any cool scenes involving them in cool costumes. Most of the time these two ladies (along with some other "puny human being" ladies) are just walking around and being verbose, even though it's still hard to put your finger on what they're talking about (then again that's the problem with most French films, right?). Well, at least many other French films are interesting, while this one seems just dull. It's pretty Antoinesque in its dullness. After hearing this is pretty Lynchian I had huge expectations, but sadly they weren't met. At times the film seems like a Rollin film, only Rollin flicks always had some cool things about them, like vampires, or sh*t and were pretty poetic in their pulpness, while this film is just plain boring. Rivette is a hit or miss for me. I loved Celine and Julie Go Boating (although that was many years ago, I dunno how I'd react to it now), thought Out 1 was decent and really liked The Nun (cuz Karina ). Well, at least Duelle had some interesting visuals from time to time

Alice in Wonderland (1951) -

Well, I've never been big on Disney (then again, I still have a lot of their films to see) and I always prefered, say, Hanna-Barbera, if we want to stay in American animation area. Mr. Walrus as a secondary character? Come on, nobody likes walrus. Not even walrus likes walrus. Then there's a bunch of imaginative creatures like these in the forest. That's pretty nice, actually, but that's it. I was indifferent to everything else in this film. Oh, f*ck your songs, really.

Yeah, there's definitely a few shows i loved when i was a kid from them but the animation is atrocious. And they dominated american animation for about 20 years.

Hanna-Barbera? Jesus. Pretty much the crappiest, most reused, uninteresting american animation ever. Glad that studio died out.
Take it back!

Hanna-Barbera? Jesus. Pretty much the crappiest, most reused, uninteresting american animation ever. Glad that studio died out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Tom Papa: Human Mule (Jay Chapman, 2016)

The Christmas Dragon (John Lyde, 2014)

Under Suspicion (Stephen Hopkins, 2000)

Gunga Din (George Stevens, 1939)
+

In 19th-century India, three happy-go-lucky British sergeants (Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen & Douglas Fairbanks Jr.) run afoul of the murderous Thuggee cult and need the help of native waterbearer Gunga Din (Sam Jaffe).
Mean Mother (Albert Victor [Al Adamson] & León Klimovsky, 1974)
-
Our Old Car (Cyril Endfield, 1946)
-
American Heart (Martin Bell, 1992)

King Kong (Ernest B. Schoedsack & Merian C. Cooper [& Willis O’Brien], 1933)
+

When he gets to NYC, Kong is forced to defend himself against attacking planes atop the Empire State Building.
Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts (Scott Hicks, 2008)

Home Early (Roy Rowland, 1939)

Death Watch (Bertrand Tavernier, 1980)

The Sorcerers (Michael Reeves, 1967)

Scientist Boris Karloff and his wife Catherine Lacey use their equipment and hypnosis to gain control of Ian Ogilvy’s brain to live vicariously through his increasingly-violent behavior.
Ridin' on a Rainbow (Lew Landers, 1941)

Red Hook Summer (Spike Lee, 2012)

Harry Tracy: The Last of the Wild Bunch (William A, Graham, 1982)
-
The Warriors (Walter Hill, 1979)

On the lam from multiple gangs from the Bronx to Coney Island, Warrior Ajax (James Remar) quits all that runnin’ crap he dislikes and takes on one of the Baseball Furies.
Wintertime (John Brahm, 1943)

Sierra Sue (William Morgan, 1941)
+
Alias Boston Blackie (Lew Landers, 1942)

A Letter to Three Wives (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1949)
+

The husband of one of these three wives (Ann Sothern, Linda Darnell & Jeanne Crain) has run away with another woman.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) -

Holy moly, one of the best musicals ever. I love Polish comedies with some songs in them (that's a more suiting name for this kind of films, I guess) from the 30's and apparently Polish filmmakers at the time were highly inspired by movies like Gold Diggers of 1933 (however the kind of humour in Polish comedies was different, obviously - this flick oozes with sex appeal, whereas Polish flicks were more innocent and posh). Also there are Gold Diggers of 1935 and Gold Diggers of 1937. I wonder if they're worthwhile.

From Here to Eternity (1953) -

Impressive cast and good screenplay, although I didn't really like the last 30 minutes that much (with the exception of the very ending on the ship). Then again, Lancaster shooting down a plane with a machine gun had been the most badass thing in cinema up until Hauer shot down a helicopter with a handgun in The Hitcher.

Careful (1992) -

What a crazy flick from Guy Maddin. At times the brightness of colours is set way too high (these yellows, oh god, my eyes), but most of the time the style works perfectly. The film feels like German Expressionism Shakespeare with colours of Pink Narcissus.

Care for some gopher?
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Mel Stuart, 1971) -
+
San suk si gin Shinjuku Incident (Derek Yee, 2009) -
+
L'aile ou la cuisse The Wing and the Thigh (Claude Zidi, 1976) -

Humanoids from the Deep (1980)

Fish monsters rape their way through a small fishing village. There are tons of technically worse b-horror flicks, but without much self-awareness, this one just isn’t as fun as it should be. It seems like it tries to actually be a valid horror entry with envelope-pushing content, but it surrendered that luxury when it was first called Humanoids from the Deep.

Screamers (1995)

It has an awesome post-apocalyptic cyberpunk sort of world with cool sets and what seems to be a decent budget, it stars Peter Weller, it’s based on a Philip K. Dick story, and it was written by Dan (Alien) O’Bannon. This movie should be great, but the story is just too run of the mill to live up to expectations. It’s good eye candy for those that like violent sci-fi though.

Chopping Mall (1986)

Killer robots expire some teens. Unfortunately, there is no actual chopping. It’s a self-aware genre flick; just not schlocky enough.

Highway to Hell (1991)

A young man ventures through hell to rescue his girlfriend from a demonic cop. A really awesome and creative depiction of hell with a clever sense of humor. One of my new favorites.

The New York Ripper (1982)

Shucky ducky quack quack.

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)

A horror movie recreating ye olde graverobbings and murders of Burke and Hare. It’s well acted, surprisingly unrestrained for its time, and has a nice early 19th century dark atmosphere.

I, Madman (1989)

A woman gets scared reading a book. There are some cool and stylish anthological bits, and a pretty creepy baddie.

Radioactive Dreams (1985)

I did it. I found a decent Albert Pyun film. Unfortunately, the copy I watched looked like it was dipped in jelly. An ultra-cheesy post-apocalyptic comedy starring two noir throwback detectives roaming a Mad Max II inspired wasteland. It seems to exist mainly to whore out the soundtrack.

Screamers (1995)

It has an awesome post-apocalyptic cyberpunk sort of world with cool sets and what seems to be a decent budget, it stars Peter Weller, it’s based on a Philip K. Dick story, and it was written by Dan (Alien) O’Bannon. This movie should be great, but the story is just too run of the mill to live up to expectations. It’s good eye candy for those that like violent sci-fi though.

Highway to Hell (1991)

A young man ventures through hell to rescue his girlfriend from a demonic cop. A really awesome and creative depiction of hell with a clever sense of humor. One of my new favorites.

I, Madman (1989)

A woman gets scared reading a book. There are some cool and stylish anthological bits, and a pretty creepy baddie.

Yes, yes and hell to the yes. Or according to the order of films it would be more, yup, hell yeah and sure why not. Though, I swear I've seen Highway to Hell. Ah well, I'll be starting off with that one anyway, so we'll see.