Coronavirus

Tools    

This time next year they'll officially be able to refer to them as an oldrologist friend
In all seriousness though - cracking photo!

This time next year they'll officially be able to refer to them as an oldrologist friend
I was gonna say "get out" but that seems like the wrong thing to suggest right now.

I was gonna say "get out" but that seems like the wrong thing to suggest right now.
Not allowed - another week to go

BTW, this is probably like the seventh "don't worry about supplies!" thing I've posted. So if you wanna convince yourself I'm engaged in "negative spinning" all it tells me is that you're not reading most of what's posted.

Ned, I think it's important not to just spread lots of secondhand stuff, if you can help it. The stream-of-consciousness stuff is hard to follow, as well. And some of it's false: they were definitely not just putting out bad news. The White House, as one would expect, is explicitly telling people to be calm and emphasizing the steps they're taking to prepare.

And the facile comparisons to other unrelated things that kill people don't matter: those things don't have the capacity to transmit to anyone without warning at this speed, and/or overwhelm our health care system.
Trump has been positive its the News that been focused on worst parts but that's how news works.

I just think whole thing was handled wrong and when every country has it Im not sure Staying home is enough by that point.

Also to be fair people who have died likely just couldn't fight off such virus's because lots of people can be weak from something else. From Heart disease to all manor.

No One really knows why this person lives and the next person dies. I just choose hopeful and think Staying Home just didn't need forced on people.

Spring Breakers however is an example that some people are not smart as others.

BTW, this is probably like the seventh "don't worry about supplies!" thing I've posted. So if you wanna convince yourself I'm engaged in "negative spinning" all it tells me is that you're not reading most of what's posted.
Well Lots stores look better if people dont mob the truck unloader's and grab the stuff before the stock people can put them on the shelves. Im kinda ashamed by some of the videos of how selfish people acting like . Ashamed as a human being.

Ned, it really doesn't feel like we're having a conversation here, so I'm just gonna stop there, for now.

I would strongly suggest curbing the aimless stream-of-consciousness stuff, particularly the faux-sophical "people die every day" stuff, which has no bearing on the situation, except to potentially make people less cautious than they should be.

Be safe, my friend.

Well I think Im done talk about what I think about it and just talk about what will things be like when Virus either runs its course and ends or a cure is found by summer. What will It be like trying to get over Covid19. But we always think of whatever the next bad thing that happens. I intend to stay home and be safe but I wish Godzilla were real and he came out of the water. Something else to talk about would be cool.

...Also, this virus is just one of hundreds floating around in animals. If we don't learn from this and start preparing by studying animal viruses. We will be right back here when the next one jumps species.
I'm glad you said this! The world, and especially the U.S. needs to tell China flat out, NO MORE LIVE ANIMAL MARKETS, or NO MORE IMPORTS FROM CHINA.

Think about all the hassles, loss of business and loss of life that this virus has caused and many experts are saying it's from the live animal markets in China. China could make it illegal to have live mammals, birds and reptiles for sale as food in markets. That wouldn't hurt their national security or national economy at all. It's a simple thing to do.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Better Godzilla than Cloverfield! At least Godzilla sometimes shows sympathy, where as Mr. Grumpy Pants Cloverfield over there just oozes more face-melting monsters. Screw that! Maybe the Blob? At least he has a good theme song we could all dance to while we are slowly digested.

I've not seen extreme panic in grocery stories here. Sure, stocks are out in some shelves, but like Yoda mentioned before, there are still lots of other food options in the rest of the store. I may not like deviled ham or quinoa, but if I get hungry I can manage.

I would add that whatever terrifying photos or videos there may be going around, chances are those are very extreme cases and are not representative of our society as a whole. Sure. Nutters be buyin' TP for the next two years' supply, but that's as bad as it's gotten here. Get some popcorn. Relax. Stay in, and watch some movies instead of the news (or dare I say, talk radio).

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Watching the press conference. So far, it's very encouraging. Not just the fast-track stuff, but more to hear them talking about face mask shortages and stuff, which shows they're aware of the problems and working on them, as opposed to being in denial or focusing on the wrong things.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm going to say something I can't believe I'm saying: I think Trump is doing a damn good job handling this situation.

And I can't believe I'm saying this either but he's probably going to get my vote this time around if he keeps it up.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, last few days seem good. I don't really mind that we were caught flat-footed, that seems like an easy mistake to make in such an unusual situation. Could've been better but the real thing is what happens from here on out. If our logistical priorities are smart and swift from here on out we'll avoid the worst, still. I saw someone suggest that managerial competence is about how you react when surprised, since you're definitely going to be, so I care about what we do this week and next more than I care about that initial reaction (or lack thereof).

Still a lot up in the air, though. Cautiously optimistic right now, but there'll still be more (expected) bad news over the next few days.

Well Trump Is Least Upbeat about things working itself out when asks people to be patient. Our State Senator Manchin sounded like we should expect to die.

Grocery update: some of the stuff ordered wasn't available, no surprise there. You really just order the pickup slot and see what's available, and you can check a box on the site to have similar substitutions. They had a dozen items unavailable and seven substitutions. No bottled water, no eggs, and some of the meat wasn't available. They did have bread, coffee, cereal, and produce.

I went inside as well, briefly, for a few things I couldn't get on the site. Busier than I'd expected or hoped. Encouraging in the sense that there was still plenty of food, but the most wanted items were still mostly gone (from what I saw, at least). But we're not in danger of running out of food at all. Was discouraging to see how many people were still standing near each other. A lady and her kids kinda squeezed by me as I was checking out. Some people wore gloves and masks, most kept a reasonable distance. Most didn't quite get to six feet, though, and a few were definitely getting too close.

So, mix of good and bad signs there, I guess. If this is emblematic a lot of people are maybe still not taking this seriously enough. My hope is that this is one of those things where if people do half of what they ought, it still makes a dent.

My county finally issued a shelter at home order, but veterinary clinics are "essential" so I still have a job.

I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm glad to still have income. On the other, this leaves me more at risk and chronic illness compounds that risk. Scary stuff.
I heard Gov. Cuomo's explanation of "Shelter in Place" this morning and it had so many exceptions that it seemed silly to even issue it as an order (as opposed to just urging people to stay home as much as possible, keep distance from others, and avoid large gatherings.)

While Sheltering in Place, exemptions would be: people who need to walk their pets, people who need to go to a doctor or hospital or take their kids or pets to a doctor or hospital, people who exercise outdoors, people who stopped going to gyms & have moved their exercise to outdoors, people going to parks, people who want to walk on the street, people going to check on or help a relative, people going to check on or help a neighbor, people going shopping at the supermarket or drugstore, people bringing groceries or medicine to someone else, people who just want to get fresh air, and everyone who HAS to keep going to work because their services are essential, they are in a business where they don't have to come in contact with others, they work outdoors or they can't be given time off from their job for a variety of reasons.

Sounds like it would be a lot easier to simply say (like they do during a snowstorm) "Don't go out if you don't have to - stay at home if you can."

Everyone must die sooner or later. Didn't you know that?
Nah Just your body dies a soul lives forever. Weither its a good or bad soul is up to a peoples choices in life.