The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

The only Mad Max movie I'd seen was Fury Road, so it was an interesting experience to go backwards and see where a lot of the elements from Fury Road originate from, it definitely feels like a companion piece between the films. It also feels a little weird going backwards because I'm watching something not as "thrilling" something a little too "familiar" and not as "dangerous" even though in reality it most definitely was.

The Road Warrior lacks the attention to detail in the world building I was hoping for. It's there in sprinkles, but I was hoping to really dive into this world and instead it feels like a "spot" in the desert. I might be nitpicking because I enjoyed this film immensely and if I watched it when I was younger can totally see myself loving it.

Gibson doesn't speak much, doesn't emote much, he's just there as the "Road Warrior". He feels like an empty shell that anyone can kind of fit in. The same can be said about Hardy in Fury Road, I feel like the role could be anyone. I was also hoping for more depth to the villains, maybe an unmasking of Humongous, he has such an iconic look to himself and a big speech, I felt like he needed a bit more to him. The dynamic between him and Wez was odd, maybe more of mutiny aspect would create more tension and danger.

The cranked up film sequences where it seems everything speeds up is fine when in vehicles, but off putting when done with people. The car sequence (while "slower" then Fury Road) still manage to stir excitement and danger. The film was shot in Australia the early 80's, who knows what kind of safety regulations they had. I seem to be talking more about the faults and my issues with the film than the positives, which is a shame because the film is dope. A great reveal in regards to the contents of the tanker, the final shot of the film and the gritty feel really make the film stand out and I can see why it's considered a genre classic.

I'll eventually check out Mad Max and Beyond Thunderdome, but I have my doubts they will be as entertaining as Road Warrior. Plus...how many films have a gyrocopter???

I'm guessing @Captain Spaulding nominated this one for me.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Incredible Shrinking Man

I didn't know what to expect from this one, but was pleasantly surprised at the special effects, the sheer will of survival from our lead character and how depressing the ending actually is. It's interesting to see this film after something that I grew up with such as Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

One moment I was devastated for him was when the poor piece of cheese flung away from the rat trap and went down the drain and just then I was thinking to myself, when are we going to see an insect of some sort to come and create a real sense of danger and soon enough a spider crawls into the film. Which had me cringing at the "feeling" of a giant spider crawling over me. Yuck.

Loved the set designs and props and the gradual decrees of his size making things bigger. The chair, the ash tray, the phone, it was funny, but special to see at the same time. I was hoping to get some sort of explanation as to why this happened, what this glitter mist junk was but it the story doesn't seem interested in that aspect, more so the will and determination of one man's survival.

This is a film I probably would never have watched in my lifetime, just because of my awareness of it or interest, so thanks for the nomination...whoever you are.

Love The Road Warrior.

As for the other Mad Max films: I also enjoy Beyond Thunderdome, but it's a bit cheesy and my enjoyment of it is definitely influenced a lot by nostalgia since I watched it a lot as a kid. I watched the original Mad Max for the MoFo 70s countdown and thought it was boring.

Love The Road Warrior.

As for the other Mad Max films: I also enjoy Beyond Thunderdome, but it's a bit cheesy and my enjoyment of it is definitely influenced a lot by nostalgia since I watched it a lot as a kid. I watched the original Mad Max for the MoFo 70s countdown and thought it was boring.
I intend to watch all the Mad Max films eventually, mostly for Fury Road. I know I could probably just watch Fury Road right now without having seen the other ones first, but still want to go chronological

I intend to watch all the Mad Max films eventually, mostly for Fury Road. I know I could probably just watch Fury Road right now without having seen the other ones first, but still want to go chronological
You do you, but I would advise against it. I think if I'd started with Mad Max I would never have watched the others.

You do you, but I would advise against it. I think if I'd started with Mad Max I would never have watched the others.
Oof, really? Didn’t think Mad Max was that much lower quality than the others but I’ll have to do some more research now

I'm in complete agreement with the thoughts and ratings of the last 3 films.

Rififi is one of the greatest noirs and greatest heist movies ever made. I did consider nominating it for a couple of people. That doesn't mean I did.

The Road Warrior is my second favorite of the series behind Mad Max. I didn't like Fury Road and I don't even consider Thunderdome.

I haven't seen The Incredible Shrinking Man in many years but I watched it a lot as a kid when it was one of my favorites.

Oof, really? Didn’t think Mad Max was that much lower quality than the others but I’ll have to do some more research now
It's not so much a question of quality, it's just that the original is pretty different from the others.

It doesn't really have the outlandish costumes and stunts or the crazy characters that the others have. I didn't find it exciting at all.

Fury Road I think is the most exciting of the series (and my favorite). It takes those elements and ramps them up a lot. So if the point is to get there, I suggest you either start there and go back or start with Road Warrior.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

I'm guessing @Captain Spaulding nominated this one for me.
That was my choice for you. I'm sure I had a reason why, but I can't remember just why it was I chose it. I really liked The Road Warrior but for a different reason than you. For me it was all about a code of ethics that the Road Warrior lived by. My review

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (George Miller, 1981)

About: In a dystopian, post-apocalyptic wasteland where water and gasoline is a rare commodity...a hardened drifter, Max (Mel Gibson) appears on the scene and enters into a contract with a group of people who are trapped in a fortress like compound. They're gasoline rich, but surrounded by murderous bandits who want their gasoline. CR

We had a contract!....Max

Review
: Totally awesome! This does exactly what it's designed to do and does it better than any movie of its type. It's full of interesting characters with their own quirks. There are lots of cool and strange looking autos too. But most of all it's got the coolest dude to hit a dystopian sunset...Mad Max. Mel Gibson created one hell of an iconic figure and along with his hot rod car, the last of the V8 Interceptors and his helpful dog, he kicks sci-fi ass.

Stunts! those are a huge part of the film and let me say a well executed stunt is just as impressive as some artsy camera movement. The tanker chase down a long stretch of road has enough crazy stunts to impress anyone and those are real stunts, not CG stuff.

On a personal level this film holds a deep meaning for me...it's tenet that runs through this movie and also in Beyond Thunder Dome...The cool thing about Road Warrior is that despite all of the carnage and violence, Max has a personal code of honor that he holds to and I admire that.

The Red Shoes (1948)
My guess: Captain Spaulding gave this one of his rare 5 stars but I already know what he gave me... Cricket's my guess.

Art or passion? Following your dreams or following your heart? Many films have presented themes the same or similar to this, but the Red Shoes is the earliest movie I've seen that tackles it so face on. It's a "fairy tale" (that Disney storybook style at the beginning and end makes it seem even more like one) but a dark one, one where the little girl protagonist really can dance herself to death with a pair of red shoes... no matter how innocent she is.

It takes a while to gain momentum, but once it does, this film is breath taking. It's near the beginning where I'm a little iffy. It takes me a while to fully grow an attachment/feeling to each character. The movie jumps around trying to establish two plot lines - which eventually meet up - and I frankly found it hard to understand what many of the characters were saying due to dialects/accents and that rapid '40s style of speaking.

It may seem from those above complaints that I didn't like the Red Shoes. That's not true at all, since beginning with the stunning (17 minute!) ballet sequence, everything became incredible. The parts that I felt didn't work suddenly clicked. I felt sympathy for (or anger towards) the characters, the pacing smoothed out. It was cinematic magic.

First, can we talk about the "Red Shoes" ballet sequence?? WOW. Just from a technical perspective, Powell and Pressburger utilized every camera method in the book. The costuming, lighting, sets and designs were jaw dropping, and the surrealistic/Dunuel-esque portions were also amazing; practically a silent short film in of itself. I watched the sequence again after finishing and still loved it.

After both Vicky and Julian have reached the peak of their artistic success, that is when their lives being to descend, and ironically the movie itself gets better and better. By the end, I was on the edge of my seat as Lermontov and Julian battled over poor Vicky. As Lermontov descends into despair and madness as the two young lovers run off together. And as Vicky herself struggles with the dilemma presented throughout the entire narrative. No stupid career decision should cost someone's life. Yet it does for Vicky. Her own choices, and the ignorant and selfish people around her, cause her descent into insanity and wildness that causes the unfortunate ending.

And that last shot was soooo beautiful! As he finally removes the red shoes, we feel both immense pain and a sort of bittersweet joy that she must be feeling; she has broken through the conflict of her life, if only for one sweet moment.

The Red Shoes - most of it - is magical. There are some sections I didn't find to be so inspired, but it hardly matters when you have a film willing to face these important - and relevant - themes in 1948. Plus you can always stay for the incredible dance sequences.

+

@cricket

Should I just submit my ballot now and revise it later if @CaptainT actually decides he's really going to do this?
Totally up to you. He has been online plenty but hasn't responded here so I'm guessing he's going to be out.

Totally up to you. He has been online plenty but hasn't responded here so I'm guessing he's going to be out.
Incoming.

Also I suggest he be banned from all future HOFs unless something changes here.

Incoming.

Also I suggest he be banned from all future HOFs unless something changes here.
Fortunately nobody watched his nomination in vain, although they are pretty excellent nominations. We'll see if he suddenly pops in with a few reviews.

These type of people simply confuse me. CaptainT is currently participating plenty in the song tournament, yet he can't even be bothered to respond or clarify if he's dropping out or not after several @ mentions in this thread?

Sorry for not letting all of you know something sooner...
I didn't think I was falling behind yet since there were quite some other people who had seen around the same amount of films as me. I have actually seen two more of my recommendations, but my life has been a bit chaotic lately and because of that I haven't managed to finish my reviews for them. I honestly didn't think it was a problem, but I realize that I should have at least let you know something due to my history.

I will try to finish those reviews as soon as possible, and once I've done that I can get back to watching my nominations (I wanted to finish the reviews before watching more films to prevent having too long of a list of reviews to write)

I hope this clarifies things a bit and once again sorry if I caused any negative feelings for anyone.

Sorry for not letting all of you know something sooner...
I didn't think I was falling behind yet since there were quite some other people who had seen around the same amount of films as me. I have actually seen two more of my recommendations, but my life has been a bit chaotic lately and because of that I haven't managed to finish my reviews for them. I honestly didn't think it was a problem, but I realize that I should have at least let you know something due to my history.

I will try to finish those reviews as soon as possible, and once I've done that I can get back to watching my nominations (I wanted to finish the reviews before watching more films to prevent having too long of a list of reviews to write)

I hope this clarifies things a bit and once again sorry if I caused any negative feelings for anyone.
Very good!

Fail Safe
Plot:
Due to a technical malfunction, the President of America only has little time and resources to stop the nuclear annihilation of the world.

Wonderful film. Usually with films like this that have a limited location, you feel as though it could've just been a stage play. Lumet is a master of his craft though; He uses all of his amazing talent to tell this story visually in a way that would be impossible with any other medium.
The editing is used very effectively in many scenes to heighten the tension. The black and white cinematography combined with the lighting makes for some striking visuals, many wonderful scenes of actors cast in black. The script is brilliant; Lots of moments for the actors to shine and many little details that add to every character.
The film also presents many interesting philosophical viewpoints on war itself and the conflict between nations. not enough to make this film a proper philosophy textbook, but enough to promote very interesting and possibly worthwhile discussion.
Acting is also great in this film, especially from Henry Fonda as the American President, who has to act professional and smart in an emotional and stressful situation. The absence of music was a great choice too, I do feel that the inclusion of music would have hindered the film.

I've loved nearly every Sidney Lumet film I've seen and this wasn't an exception. Thanks to whoever suggested this.

+