The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

I think I’d put Nausicaa as my 5th favorite Miyazaki, still great but nowhere near his best. And yeah hope you enjoy Princess Mononoke too!

I think animation is probably the only genre/area where I’m more of an expert than you!
Very true! I know next to nothing about animated films. Though I did see Heavy Metal at the drive-in movie theater, like a million years ago

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Princess Mononoke
Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Anime is something I really want to love but just have a hard time connecting with. In my limited experience with it there's Spirited Away at the top, then a pretty big drop to the next tier where Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers and now Princess Mononoke sit.

A young prince protects his village from a raging boar demon becoming infected from the battle and is told that he must now leave the village to find a cure or die. He travels west on his elk and ends up getting involved in a battle between the forest creatures wanting to protect their Spirit and a local town, Iron Town, who is destroying the forest by mining and the production of iron.

This is one of those movies that I think I'm appreciating more as I think about it than I did while watching it, which is good because it means I'll probably rewatch it at some point. It's a great looking movie, maybe my favorite of the anime I've seen. There were quite a few moments where the animation really impressed me, usually whenever the story moved into the forest. The shot were we first see the Forest Spirit through the tree's was kind of a WOW! moment. I like the creative characters of Spirited Away a little more but this was prettier, imo.

I also liked that the story wasn't simply humans bad, nature good which is kind of the direction I thought it was going to go the first time we saw Iron Town with all of its pollution. The characters have layers to them, especially the Prince and the lady who runs Iron Town (sorry, not good with names). It's not Avatar (thank God!) There was a bit of wiggle room in so much as the good aren't always good and the bad aren't always awful, which I appreciated. The voice acting was good with one exception - Billy Bob. Boy, it sounded like he was simply reading his lines and I couldn't get into that character at all.

Overall I thought this was pretty good. There's enough here to warrant a rewatch at some point where I could see the rating going up a little.

I think I have the same problem with anime that you seem to have. I like animated movies, (Disney/Pixar, Illumination, DreamWorks, etc.), so I should also like anime, (when it's dubbed because I hate reading subtitles), but for some reason, I seem to have a problem connecting to some anime movies. I seem to remember the visuals, but not the stories.

I've bought a few of the anime movies that I remember liking, but I can't seem to remember the stories, on DVD so that I can rewatch them eventually, and hopefully appreciate them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Oh gosh, I’ve gotta give you something next time we do this. I think you’ll really love Porco Rosso, that has old Hollywood vibes that you might love. Totoro, Kiki, and Ponyo May be a bit “kiddish” but I still think you’d like them. And I bet you love Howl and Castle in the Sky too.

I’ll probably nominate a couple of them in hall of fames in the future. Sorry MV lol, at least you never have to see Spirited Away again.

Ponyo is definitely "kiddish", but I thought it was cute. I liked Castle in the Sky too.

I thought I would hate Ponyo too (or at least not love it) but ended up crying at the end!

Can I join in on this too? I have seen WAY too little of all the classics on those lists and I want to improve that.
I'd understand if I can't though because I don't really know anyone here so recommendations might be difficult.
Are you still with us buddy?

I thought I would hate Ponyo too (or at least not love it) but ended up crying at the end!
If I cried it was only from the pain of having suffered through it. But that was like five years ago so the details are a little fuzzy.

ETA: Was curious what I rated it back then:

That's way too generous.

Ponyo was also my least favorite Miyazaki but that says a lot about his overall work. A top 10 director for me!
yeah, as I said to you before, he's top 5 for me.

If I cried it was only from the pain of having suffered through it. But that was like five years ago so the details are a little fuzzy.

ETA: Was curious what I rated it back then:

That's way too generous.
oh gosh, well you said you hate most kid characters so that's probably expected.

Sort of ironic that I find Vanellope in Wreck-it Ralph so obnoxious though, as I can usually handle children in kid's movies.

About the Ponyo link: Damn, you liked Gone With the Wind?? Definitely wouldn't expect you to like that.

Sort of ironic that I find Vanellope in Wreck-it Ralph so obnoxious though, as I can usually handle children in kid's movies.
I like her mostly because I really love the relationship between her and Ralph. That scene where he destroys her car makes me bawl every time.

About the Ponyo link: Damn, you liked Gone With the Wind?? Definitely wouldn't expect you to like that.
I probably won't ever watch it again, but yeah it was good.

The Illusionist
(Sylvain Chomet, 2010)

The Illusionist is better than my rating would suggest. The hand-drawn animation is exquisite. Backgrounds pop with painstaking detail. Characters move with remarkable fluidity. Show me a random screenshot ten years from now and I'll instantly name the film, as the singular style gives The Illusionist its own identity. The film achieves a level of sophistication and realism rarely seen in animation. I admire the silent-era approach to storytelling, although I think the characterization suffers mightily as a result. (I thought something was wrong with my hearing at first, as the sparse dialogue sounded like gibberish. I briefly put on subtitles and realized that the dialogue is inconsequential, captions merely reading, "Speaks in French" or "Speaks in foreign language.") The humor is intermittently amusing. The bittersweet ending will likely stay with me. The Illusionist is deserving of all the praise it has received, but for me it's a classic case of respect the craft, dislike the film.

The Illusionist is based on an unproduced screenplay by celebrated actor/director Jacques Tati. Playtime, my sole encounter with Tati, did nothing for me despite its reverence among many cinephiles. Judging by that one film, Tati's style of comedy relies heavily on intricate sight gags that require full attention from the viewer, as the "humor" is found within subtle details that aren't readily apparent unless you're studying the background of every scene. The Illusionist feels like a simplified version of Tati's filmmaking, wholly reliant on the visual minus the nuance and intricacy. The comedy is similar but broader. The animated backgrounds are rich with detail, but unlike Playtime, the viewer knows where to focus. The prevalence of wide shots with little to no close-ups feels like an attempt to recreate Tati's eye behind the camera. The titular illusionist is also an obvious stand-in for Tati himself. If the original script for The Illusionist was penned as a love letter to Tati's estranged daughter, The Illusionist itself is clearly created as a love letter to Tati as a filmmaker.

Maybe if I had more familiarity with Tati's work, I'd better appreciate what director Sylvain Chomet was attempting with this film. As it is, however, The Illusionist did little for me. I watched this in the middle of the afternoon, yet I was struggling to keep my eyelids open by the end of it. The lullaby-like score might be partially to blame for inducing fatigue, but I think my indifference toward the characters is a bigger culprit. Judging by the movie's heavy-handed sentimentality, viewers are clearly expected to care for the adopted father-daughter relationship at the core of the story. Instead, I just found the relationship borderline creepy. Maybe that's just me being a horrible cynic, always expecting the worst from everyone, but as the illusionist charms the young girl with magic tricks and allows her to move in with him, I couldn't help but wonder if he was secretly hoping to perform hide-the-salami instead of hide-the-rabbit. Questionable motives aside, I did feel sympathy for the illusionist once he's forced to abandon his craft to work demeaning jobs; but that turn of events makes the girl unlikeable as a result, essentially turning her into the welfare version of a gold digger, since it's her fondness for gifts that drives the illusionist deeper into poverty. The bittersweet ending (emphasis on the bitter) surprised me with its deep sense of melancholy and regret, but I was mostly just happy that the film was over. Even at only 79-minutes, The Illusionist feels like an obscenely padded short film.