Why do we care so much about what's overrated?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Serious question. It just seems like there's been this preponderance of threads lately that focus on films that users consider to be overrated, whether it's threads specifically designed for this purpose or threads with broad enough topics that overrated films take precedence (such as the "unpopular opinion" thread). The threads then go in the same cycle. Person A calls a movie overrated. Person B reacts unfavourably to Person A. There's a back-and-forth that doesn't change anything, then Person C calls a different movie overrated and Person A wonders how someone could ever think that that movie is overrated, and the cycle continues anew until the thread stops getting attention and another one springs up in its place.

It's just...why are we like this? I do have this theory that calling a film "overrated" (as opposed to just saying that you don't like it) acts as a way of reinforcing one's own opinions, as if to say that other people are wrong for liking it more than you do. That's probably why the arguments get more heated than if it was just a matter of saying you just don't like the film without explicitly factoring in what everyone else thinks about it.

What do you think?

The most loathsome of all goblins
It's more that it's annoying to hear people constantly praising movies you think are crap. Even worse, as soon as you voice your opinion that the movie being venerated is not that great, they are aghast and treat you like some alien from the fourth dimension.

You are now on trial forced to give a detailed speech on why exactly you didn't like this masterpiece, otherwise your opinion is dismissed as that of a plebeian who doesn't understand movies like they do.

It's not important. But, it creates a conversation, some of which can offer a lot of insight into personal taste, among other things. Some people just get a little touchy when someone says something negative they're so passionate about, to the point that it becomes less of a conversation, and more of someone just aggressively defending a film they like, and then it becomes no fun at all. I like to participate in these kind of threads personally, but it does become a bit too much when people with that mentality jump in.

The threads don't bother me but I do think they're a little lame. You think The Godfather is overrated then say why. Is the acting or story worse than what most people think? Explain why it's overrated. Don't list popular movies that you don't like because that's different than overrated. I hated The Sound of Music, but I don't think it's overrated, it just doesn't suit my taste. And then there's thread after thread with no explanations.

The threads don't bother me but I do think they're a little lame. You think The Godfather is overrated then say why. Is the acting or story worse than what most people think? Explain why it's overrated. Don't list popular movies that you don't like because that's different than overrated. I hated The Sound of Music, but I don't think it's overrated, it just doesn't suit my taste. And then there's thread after thread with no explanations.
author of each thread sets up the rules and criteria. So yes, if the only criteria is "Name 5 most overrated movies" you simply name it. THere is no harm to it so long as everybody is respectful

author of each thread sets up the rules and criteria. So yes, if the only criteria is "Name 5 most overrated movies" you simply name it. THere is no harm to it so long as everybody is respectful
No, there's no harm in it but it's so empty. I always see movies I love in these threads but there's no reason to respond. This is overrated. No it's not. Yes it is. No it's not. Anyone can name a bunch of popular movies they don't like, but to call them overrated and offer zero reasoning is lazy.

No, there's no harm in it but it's so empty. I always see movies I love in these threads but there's no reason to respond. This is overrated. No it's not. Yes it is. No it's not. Anyone can name a bunch of popular movies they don't like, but to call them overrated and offer zero reasoning is lazy.
i know what you mean however everybody sometimes need empty and lazy after all day work where you need to be constantly meaningful control yourself. I too often see my favourite movie named like this but it is my right to ask for a reason or pass it over with silence.

If somebody is going to call a movie overrated in passing, it doesn't really amount to much, but if you're going to open yet another thread on the same subject, have something to say. If somebody calls a movie overrated, they are saying a movie is not as good as other people think it is. Tell me why, or else it's just spewing BS. More than likely, people are just naming popular movies that they don't like. To me, that makes the overrated title a lie.

I don't think there's one reason, but I think it's almost always one of these reasons;
1) A way to complain about a good movie. IE: when you're annoyed with a movie, but you can't pretend it's actually crap, your fallback is to call it "overrated."

2) Swiping at the kinds of people who like it. I think this one's pretty common. When I started this site, it was the cool thing to do to critique The Matrix not by talking about it, but by mocking the adolescent fans for whom it was basically an introduction to certain philosophical concepts. You see a lesser version of the same thing with most Nolan films now. The giveaway is that the person talks less about the actual film and more about the reaction to it. Sub-category: using the film as a proxy for some political or cultural argument.

3) Sense of truth/justice. This is the most charitable reason, and I don't want to discount it entirely: some people are just bugged by things they think are wrong, ignorant, poorly reasoned, whatever. They see something they believe to be mediocre being praised, and there's an innate desire to speak up. I think everyone feels this to some degree, and I think this is at least present in the other reasons, too.
My main issue with calling a film "overrated" is that it compounds the subjectivity and uncertainty already present in most discussions. If you give your opinion of a movie, it's necessarily subjective. You may not be aware of all the reasons you have for your conclusions, and because they're yours, there's always something lost in translation.

When you talk about your opinion relative to other people's opinions, you add all those same problems on top, again. And when you talk about what you think most people's opinions are, it's even worse: it's a subjective opinion about your subjective opinion of what other people's subjective opinions are. Which is why most of the threads fail to produce much meaningful analysis or productive disagreement.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I dont even like using the word. What I might not find very entertaining 1000 other people might love. I think those threads are pretty pointless if people are going to get upset someone doesnt like their faves, especially when they're asking the question in the first place.

Do other people really get upset about what anyone else says or thinks about a particular movie?
Doesn't bother me one whit, it's just a personal opinion and carries no import on whether or not I enjoy something.
As long as the forum isn't overrun with a proliferation of such threads they don't really mither me at all.

Do other people really get upset about what anyone else says or thinks about a particular movie?.
LOL some sure do, Chyp. Doesnt bother me either but some people take it as a personal insult. I'm not talking about this forum but just in general.

LOL some sure do, Chyp. Doesnt bother me either but some people take it as a personal insult. I'm not talking about this forum but just in general.
Hmmm, if my skin was that thin I think I'd be more concerned with continually trying to ensure my internal bits and bobs didn't fall out

It's more that it's annoying to hear people constantly praising movies you think are crap. Even worse, as soon as you voice your opinion that the movie being venerated is not that great, they are aghast and treat you like some alien from the fourth dimension.

You are now on trial forced to give a detailed speech on why exactly you didn't like this masterpiece, otherwise your opinion is dismissed as that of a plebeian who doesn't understand movies like they do.
Yes, I think that's the problem. People (I'm not talking about anyone specifically or even necessarily on here, just in general) tend to react with aghast horror and hostile defensiveness if anyone has an opinion contrary to the "consensus" (i.e the critics, or their mates).

I don't think it's sensitivity here. If you don't like my favorite movie (Goodfellas), I don't give a crap. Maybe you don't like the characters, maybe you don't like swearing, or maybe you just don't like looking at Liotta's pocked up face. All legitimate reasons as far as I'm concerned as nobody should have to explain their taste. But if you're calling it overrated, which means it's not as good as others think it is, then you're telling me I'm wrong. Well tell me why I'm wrong; don't create a thread and have nothing to say.

I don't think it's sensitivity here. If you don't like my favorite movie (Goodfellas), I don't give a crap. Maybe you don't like the characters, maybe you don't like swearing, or maybe you just don't like looking at Liotta's pocked up face. All legitimate reasons as far as I'm concerned as nobody should have to explain their taste. But if you're calling it overrated, which means it's not as good as others think it is, then you're telling me I'm wrong. Well tell me why I'm wrong; don't create a thread and have nothing to say.

I remember saying on the other place I thought ex machina was a great movie and listed why I thought it was great/well made yada yada but said I didnt like it because it left me feeling angry and I don't like it when movies do that. LOL, you'd think I told a couple of guys their mums were ugly, and then went on to kick their kittens. Wow. And I certainly never said it was overrated. Talk about faux offended for the sake of it.

Agreed. Saying you don't like a movie is an opinion about the movie. But saying a movie is overrated is, by definition, a statement about the people who like it.