47 Ronin

Tools    

I'm going to get technical...

No, the film is about Ronin, not Samurai. Samurai are warriors with a Master... Ronin used to be Samurai but their Master died and now they live a life similar to that of a Mercenary.

I'm going to get technical...

No, the film is about Ronin, not Samurai. Samurai are warriors with a Master... Ronin used to be Samurai but their Master died and now they live a life similar to that of a Mercenary.
Samurai: Japanese warrior class - military nobility

Ronin: Samurai without a master ( but not necessarily a mercenary )

Once a Samurai, always a Samurai!

Seeing more and more trailers for this popping up on telly.

Tell you what though, it looks pretty darned good.

I think he expended all his emotions in Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Still reckon 47 Ronin will be a bit of a sleeper hit though.
Looks like a proper fantasy adventure.

Universal takes writedown for new Keanu Reeves film

Los Angeles (Reuters) - Comcast Corp's Universal Pictures movie studio has taken unspecified writedowns for its costly Keanu Reeves film "47 Ronin" that opens on Christmas Day, the studio has acknowledged, anticipating its bleak box office prospects.

The film, a fantasy action film about a group of samurai in 18th century Japan, cost $175 million (£106.9 million) to make, according to people with knowledge of its budget.

It is expected to gross between $17 million and $20 million for the five-day Christmas Day holiday period through Sunday December 29, Hollywood experts have forecast, a particularly weak showing for a big budget film.

"Universal Pictures regularly evaluates its film slate for potential adjustment," said a Universal official. "In the case of '47 Ronin,' we adjusted film costs in previous quarters and as a result our financial performance will not be negatively impacted this quarter by its theatrical performance."

Universal did not disclose the size of the earlier writedowns.

The movie tells the story of a half-Japanese former slave, played by Keanu Reeves, who joins a band of outcast samurai intent on avenging the death of their master and who battle mythic beasts and shape-shifting witches.

"47 Ronin" was initially scheduled for release in November 2012, but was moved to February 2013 for more work on the 3D visual efforts, before it was postponed to Christmas Day.

The film has grossed an estimated $6.2 million in three foreign markets, including Japan and Singapore, Universal said.

Powered by hits "Despicable Me 2" and "Fast & Furious 6," the studio has had a successful 2013 overall, generating $1.4 billion in North American film sales, third behind Warner Brothers and Walt Disney, according to Box Office Mojo.

On December 23, Universal said it had pushed back its car chase movie "Fast & Furious 7" by nine months to April 2015 after co-star Paul Walker died in a car crash.

(Reporting By Ronald Grover; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u...e.html#nfIFRT8

I wish stories like that could tell me if the movie is actually good.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
From the trailer I predict that this will suck.
Told Y'all.

Holding strong at........wait for it.......11% on RT.

I was hoping for a bit more of the live action manga that it looks like its trying to be in the trailer. Its not really. Its really just a little slow moving for me. It was OK though. Just a solid middle of the road

How disappointing. Well, it looked a little cheesy to me in the trailers.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I saw the preview at the Hobbit. Looks like beautiful film production. Not only will I go to see it, I will buy it. I think this film might suffer from American disinterest in Asian set film. Ignorance, simple minded intellect, and overall American monkey culture may harm this films revenue.

I think it might be suffering from too much CGI and Keanu that is putting people off. Or people look at it and think it just a crappy movie. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance.

From the trailers, although from an artistic/production viewpoint it looks like a lot of effort has gone in to it, it looks very (too?) dark and the style of fantasy with mythical Asian fighting, monsters and such is definitely not for everyone.

I think it might be suffering from too much CGI and Keanu that is putting people off. Or people look at it and think it just a crappy movie. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance.
Honestly, I feel like it needed more CGI. There were far too many downtimes.

Honestly, I feel like it needed more CGI. There were far too many downtimes.
No kidding? From the trailer I thought it was going to be a big CGI fest? Go figure. Must be Keanu as a samurai then keeping people away.