NHL 09-10 Season

Tools    

I noticed there isn't a current season thread so I figured I'd start one. I use to play hockey in my mid teens, I haven't watched NHL games since then, its not easy over here in Australia. I've been following Red Wings pre/opening games in Sweden, haven't had many wins but they aren't playing too badly, hoping they improve.

Here are the current standings:

Eastern Conference

Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Atlanta Thrashers
Boston Bruins
Florida Panthers
Ottawa Senators
Carolina Hurricanes
Buffalo Sabres
New York Islanders
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
New Jersey Devils

Western Conference

Calgary Flames
St. Louis Blues
Phoenix Coyotes
Colorado Avalanche
Chicago Blackhawks
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
San Jose Sharks
Dallas Stars
Anaheim Ducks
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Detroit Red Wings
Vancouver Canucks

I'd like to say the Oilers are gonna win it all, but they won't. I'd like to say the Canucks are gonna lose it all, and they might. That's what happens when you grow up in a city like Edmonton with one of the greatest teams in history winning five cups when you're a kid, your loyalty doesn't move when you do. And the city you now live in is home to a bunch of fans who think their team is the greatest and tend to brag about it, yet they've never won anything.

Really looking forward to Olympic hockey coming early next year here in Vancouver, this is huge for us Canadians and anything less than gold is unacceptable. The Russians though, they are looking good.

Where's Justin by the way? He's a pretty big hockey fan and I haven't seen him around here since before his team won the cup. Dillman too, I haven't seen him here in a while.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I live in Pittsburgh, so...quite the opposite.
Lol. That will make things interesting..

Yes, back when they had Steve Yzerman on their team.
Same here, I've been following there current squad but I'm not familiar with them.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Always been a fan of the Leafs and even now when Sundin's quit. He's my all time favourite Swedish player. But, I've always liked the Canadian teams a bit more. They're kind of struggling and don't seem to have the same economy behind them as the US teams.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Well, the NHL has a salary cap, so most of the teams have very similar payrolls. The bottom 11 in terms of payroll this year are all U.S. teams, and no Canadian teams are below the league average.

WARNING: "WingsvsSabers" spoilers below
The Sabers hammered the Wings, 6-2. Regardless of Franzen's absence they weren't going to win that.The Wings looked sloppy, the Sabers were just a better team on the night.

Does anyone here play or has played hockey ?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Does anyone here play or has played hockey ?
I played in the early nineties.

My niece started figure skating, so I decided to break the skates out.
It's been a painful experience.

LA Kings fan.

I played for years growing up, both league and shinny hockey. I grew up in Edmonton and damn it could get cold there, but one good thing about it was playing outdoor hockey in the winter. Some of my best memories as a kid involve grabbing the skates, gloves, stick and puck, walking across the field to the local outdoor rink and joining in whatever game was being played. The lights coming on at night, a dozen people on the ice and nobody keeping score.

I played in the early nineties.

My niece started figure skating, so I decided to break the skates out.
It's been a painful experience.

LA Kings fan.
I had one of my ribs knocked out of place when I use to play. Injuries are just part of the game.

WARNING: "KingvsWings" spoilers below
The Wings got lucky the other night against the Kings, only after a few undeserved penalties they got on top.

I played for years growing up, both league and shinny hockey. I grew up in Edmonton and damn it could get cold there, but one good thing about it was playing outdoor hockey in the winter. Some of my best memories as a kid involve grabbing the skates, gloves, stick and puck, walking across the field to the local outdoor rink and joining in whatever game was being played. The lights coming on at night, a dozen people on the ice and nobody keeping score.
In Australia hockey is a underdog sport, barely anyone knows anything about it. There are only two ice rinks in the state I live in. Maybe five or six inline rinks but they are all spread out. So it costs a lot just to drive to games or practice. What you described would be a dream over here.

Indeed. Very glad to see them starting so strong out of the gate, given how sluggish they were last year. It's a long season and I'm a bit of a fair-weather fan, so I'm still not watching most of the games, but they're looking sharp enough that I'm checking the scores a lot more than I normally would be at this time of the year.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've been shocked and pleasantly surprised by my Kings.

Lackluster effort by the Penguins. I think Orpik is 100% correct when he assessed the situation:

"It seems like some guys are in it one night, and other guys aren't," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "And the next night, maybe the handful that was, isn't. Role reversal. There's really no excuse for it.

"You see some of the goals or some of the battles, just small puck battles, it seems like, and we're losing them. To me, it's just battle level."

The Penguins announced this morning that they have signed defenseman Kris Letang to a four-year contract extension, which will carry him through the 2013-14 season.

Financial terms were not immediately available.

Letang, 22, would have been eligible to become a restricted free agent after this season.

An offensive defenseman, Letang has three goals and a career-high 24 assists for 27 points in 67 games this season. For his career, he has 21 goals and 79 points in 211 games.

Along with Letang, key players Sidney Crosby, Jordan Staal, Evgeni Malkin and Brooks Orpik are signed through 2013-14, and Marc-Andre Fleury is signed through 2014-15.
From: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10089/1046719-100.stm

Relatively speaking. I can't get worked up about this stuff, though; if Fleury gets hot and the team players a little better it won't even matter. Hard to get up in arms about seeding, unless it's extreme, too.

Obviously I'd bet "The Field" but we're going to end up with right around the same number of points we had last year, so whatever. We're still in the mix yet again.