Favourite three Christian Bale movies/performance ?

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I really like his turns as Batman, but...

He is the main reason to see American Psycho. His sharpest and most entertaining performance yet.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
1. Empire of the Sun

I don't care if he had no idea what he was doing, but he gave a great performance. Spielberg often gets shafted as a director of kid's performances, but I truly believe that he's gotten more memorable performances from "kids" than any other director, and that makes sense to me since Spielberg is basically just a Big Kid himself, but one who knows how to make a great movie, several times over.

2. Pocahontas (as Thomas... interesting that he later played Pocahontas' husband John Rolfe in The New World.)

&feature=related

3. Batman Begins

So far, Michael Keaton is my Batman, but Bale went through so much in the previous Batman movie that that should qualify as something. I prefer The Dark Knight to Batman Begins, but that's because Heath Ledger casts such a large shadow. However, in Batman Begins, even with all the villains and aides, Batman is the most important character.

&feature=related

I'm quoting this mainly because I think it's honest. However, I'm now more open to making The Fighter #2 and keeping Batman Begins at #3. Sorry, Pocahontas.

But since where I live, today just clicked over to Father's Day, I feel I can share that I'm not a very big fan of American Psycho. In fact, I'm almost tempted to say that it psucks, but of course, it doesn't, really.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I must really be dense because I never realized that Bale turned into the Chief Alien in Close Encounters.

I'm sorry. I thought it would have been the easiest thing in the world to find the first alien we see come off the mothership, but it's a royal pain. I'll + rep anybody and everybody (up to about 10 rep pts.) who can find that image with the arms outstretched just like Bale. He even has the bright blue backlight.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
And see to me this isn't necessarily great acting. There is a difference between acting (genuinely conveying real - or the reflection of real human emotion on screen) vs playing dress up, transforming, make believe. There's nothing wrong with losing 50 pounds of gaining the weight. Sure that's dedication, but is it acting?

This is acting... watch Montgomery Clift in the boat scene where he's contemplating drowning his pregnant "girlfriend" to get rid of her as he's at a turning point between being accepted by the burgousgise (sp) and being stuck in a prolitariate life forever. Showing emotion with so few words IS acting. This is something I don't see a lot from your Johnny Depps and Christian Bales who transforms themselves yes, but do not attain the heights of someone like Clift. Turning yourself into a skeleton is not necessarily acting.

Watch the clip from 5 minutes to roughly 9 minutes to see what I mean.

&feature=related

Christian Bale

American Psycho (2000)

The Machinist (2004)

3:10 To Yuma (2007)

His role in 3:10 To Yuma is often overlooked, imo. Even though Russell Crowe had the flashier role, Bale eclipsed him in my view. It's a subtle performance and showed he can do extremely vulnerable really well.

Is white trash beautiful
The Dark Knight 2008

The Machinist 2004

The Fighter 2010

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
#1 Patrick Bateman, "American Psycho"

#2 Trevor Reznik, "The Machinist"

#3 Bruce Wayne, "Batman Begins"

Also loved him in "Reign of Fire" and "Harsh Times"

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not saying these are his best performances, but when I think Christian Bale, I think Little Women and Velvet Goldmine before I think Batman.

Not a huge Christian Bale fan but in no specific order...

- 3:10 To Yuma

- The Fighter

- Empire of the Sun

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Patrick Bateman, American Psycho

2. Dicky Eklund, The Fighter

3. Trevor Reznik, The Machinist

Suspect's Reviews

1- The Machinist
2- The Prestige
3- 3:10 to Yuma
4- Empire of the Sun
5- American Psycho
6- Batman Begins
7- Harsh Times
8- The Fighter
9- The Dark Knight
10- Equilibrium

For me:
1. American Psycho
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
5. The Machinist
6. Equilibrium
7. 3:10 to Yuma
8. Terminator Salvation
9. Shaft

Haven't seen Rescue Dawn, Public Enemies, The Fighter, Harsh Times or Reign of Fire yet.