The MoFo Millenium Top 100 Countdown

→ in
Tools    

If you guys ever want to watch something that is absolutely hilarious... the Blu-ray of the movie Bruno has this "video description" audio soundtrack recorded for blind people where a woman describes everything that happens on screen... it is THE BEST. I mean, it's Bruno. Think of the scene where Bruno has sex with Milli Vanilli's ghost. Think of watching that with a woman describing everything that's happening.

And so, let the parade of ignorance and blatant disrespect commence!

Well, it is almost Chinese New Year.

And China is a FOREIGN country to me, too!

Everyone's boasting about how "personal" their lists mean to them, how their choices aren't determined to "please the populous". If that's the case then we should make movies like Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas ineligible, so that the lesser-known movies of the 90s can get their deserved attention. Just admit it - our movie choices are all influenced by what is popular.

It never occurred to me when I bought and watched Goodfellas that I was "supposed" to like it.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Just watched Mulholland Drive.

Didn't understand it. Spent most of the movie confused and by time it finally ended I had stopped caring anyway.

Edit: Just looked at some info online. I get it now and I kind of thought that's what might have been going on, but wasn't sure. Still can't say I liked it and probably won't watch it again any time soon. Also, not a big fan of girl on girl scenes so that didn't help matters.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Everyone's boasting about how "personal" their lists mean to them, how their choices aren't determined to "please the populous". If that's the case then we should make movies like Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas ineligible, so that the lesser-known movies of the 90s can get their deserved attention. Just admit it - our movie choices are all influenced by what is popular.
Then the list wouldn't represent the true great films of the 90's. Who is to say what is popular or not. Are we all going to have to eliminate our #1 choice no matter what the film is?

Terrible idea.

Suspect's Reviews

That's a bunch of crap.

The movies we choose to watch may be influenced by what is popular or what is respected, but that doesn't mean it influences what we love. I've watched numerous movies because they are popular or well-respected and wound up disliking quite a few (Just from this list: LOTR Trilogy, The Wrestler, Black Swan, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Iron Man, The Assassination Of Jesse James, The Royal Tenenbaums, Mulholland Drive, Kill Bill, Sin City, Gangs Of New York, The Bourne Identity). On the other hand, as I'm seeing MoFos list off their ratings for the movies that made the Millennium List, I see post after post where the people haven't even seen the film I placed at #1 on my ballot.

The movies we choose to watch may be influenced by what is popular or what is respected, but that doesn't mean it influences what we love. I've watched numerous movies because they are popular or well-respected and wound up disliking quite a few (Just from this list: LOTR Trilogy, The Wrestler, Black Swan, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Iron Man, The Assassination Of Jesse James, The Royal Tenenbaums, Mulholland Drive, Kill Bill, Sin City, Gangs Of New York, The Bourne Identity). On the other hand, as I'm seeing MoFos list off their ratings for the movies that made the Millennium List, I see post after post where the people haven't even seen the film I placed at #1 on my ballot.
It's great that you don't always agree with what is popular (and have a #1 film that isn't widely known), but my point was that if someone only watches popular movies then naturally his favourite movies would also be well-known. I honestly have little interest in the movies that make their way to the top of the overall list, and would rather view each individual's top 25.

Didn't understand it. Spent most of the movie confused and by time it finally ended I had stopped caring anyway.
David Lynch for ya. I'd like to watch one of his movies high just to see if that would help.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Also, not a big fan of girl on girl scenes so that didn't help matters.
Me either. Stick to guy on guys scenes, like I do.

I really don't have a major problem with foreign films. My issues are basically this:

1. I don't know of many of them.
2. I really do prefer to listen to people speak english.
3. Are there any cute guys in them?

Like with Japanese movies... sure, I wouldn't mind a good one that got rave reviews every now and then, but let me be frank -- I don't have a soulful connection with Asian people. Like REAL Asian people, those that live in Asia and not America. I'm not surrounded by Asians. I don't feel of Asia. I find Asia intriguing, but not obsessively, and I feel like people who watch films set in Asia all the time are obsessed in some way. That's how I feel about people who like that anime so much, too. I have my own obsessions -- things that I feel in touch with thanks to what I've largely been exposed to in my own life. I can't really watch tons of movies set in Asia unless, I guess, I force myself to and then really adjust to it. But I don't really see the point.

What are they gonna teach me? What are they gonna show me? I watched that Uncle Boomerang's Past Life Regression Hypnosis Session and didn't understand what the hell was going on in that thing. Would I have been more in touch with what it was saying if I had already been familiar with other Asian films?

Is watching foreign films like taking drugs? You know, those out there, experimental things. Are Japanese movies like LSD when you compare them to American films? Are they mind expanding? Should I think of watching foreign films as like eating mushrooms or smoking pot or shooting up with heroin? Exotic and adventurous.

Are American movies like smoking cigarettes?

I don't know, but I will have to ponder it more.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Is watching foreign films like taking drugs? You know, those out there, experimental things. Are Japanese movies like LSD when you compare them to American films?
Of course. Foreign films are all mindbending and trippy -- like Sonatine and Infernal Affairs, for example, while American films are all straight up gangster movies, like Mulholland Drive and Synechdoche New York.

Wait.

No. No, they're not.

Foreign films are not weird or pretentious just because they happen to be in a different language to your own. Some of them may be experimental, some of them may be dull as ditchwater, but they're no more all the same than Finding Nemo is the same as The Godfather.

They're probably a bit more homogeneous, though, simply because a) the cultures they're made in are more homogeneous than the United States, and b) they generally (and this is a chicken/egg thing, a bit) are made with less specific intent to distribute them among other cultures. So it seems plausible, based on those two things alone, that the differences between them might be a lot subtler and less evident to people outside the culture.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Of films from one particular country that may be true, but Japanese films are not going to be very similar to Swedish films or Brazilian films, for example.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
They're probably a bit more homogeneous, though, simply because a) the cultures they're made in are more homogeneous than the United States, and b) they generally (and this is a chicken/egg thing, a bit) are made with less specific intent to distribute them among other cultures. So it seems plausible, based on those two things alone, that the differences between them might be a lot subtler and less evident to people outside the culture.
Well, it's not just that their culture is homogenous, but the Japanese trend is to instead of creating a varied body of work, to create a body of very similar work, with some small variation between works. That's why Ozu best represents the Japanese tradition.

Well, it's not just that their culture is homogenous, but the Japanese trend is to instead of creating a varied body of work, to create a body of very similar work, with some small variation between works. That's why Ozu best represents the Japanese tradition.
That just sounds boring.