Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Legend in my own mind

TMNT (1990)

Rocketman (2019)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

Top performances and a real grit to this outing by Sherlock (the peerless Basil Rathbone). The shooting is understandably quite stop/start but the tempo and atmosphere are spot on.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Apocalypse domani (1980)
aka Cannibal Apocalypse, Cannibals in the Streets, etc.

Only in Italy could someone think that combining zombie and cannibal films was a good and innovative idea (isn't it like comparing apples and, eh, apples). It basically gives us all zombie film cliches but no zombies. Unfortunately, the cannibals act so erratically that the story doesn't work at all. How the hell is this 5.7 in IMDb?

Under the Shadows (2016) - 6.5/10. Quite liked it. The movie starts off as a normal movie. But grows creepy soon after. In hindsight, it was not that scary. But for a scaredy-cat like me, it was enough. Definitely worth a watch, when compared to the mindless drivel Hollywood churns out every year.

The Wailing (2016) - 7.5/10. A masterful creation. Easily the best in the horror category for me for the decade. Not sure if anything good will come out in 2020 to beat it. Tried to watch it at for two consecutive nights, but couldn't. Made it to 20 mins on Day 1 and around 35 on Day 2. So finished it in the afternoon. The spooky atmosphere, the cinematography, the grizzly killings, all were melded in a sweet bucket of ice cream. Leaves Hereditary faaaaar behind.

Watched the documentary Hoaxed (2019) last night. It's a well done expose of "fake news": where it got started, how it's used, who are its biggest practitioners, and how much damage and misery it has caused. The 2 hour presentation is chock full of examples and commentary from prominent people on the right and the left. At the end it offers solutions for this ubiquitous misinformation epidemic.

Amazon offered it for awhile but has now taken it down, despite it's tremendous gain in popularity, possibly when Jeff Bezos' directors realized that it reflected badly on big media, such as his Washington Post. It's available on YouTube and other sites, I think for a fee.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Driver's Seat - 5/10
Elizabeth Taylor's scenes are always interesting. But its not a good movie. I think they tried to lure the audiences in by showing her breasts early in the movie - which were nice. I also think she hit her sexy peak in the early 70s. Only wish she had longer hair.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Sword of Trust (Lynn Shelton, 2019)
6.5/10
8th Continent (Yorgos Zois, 2017)
5.5/10
Love. Wedding. Repeat (Dean Craig, 2020)
+ 5/10
We Summon the Darkness (Marc Meyers, 2019)
5.5/10

Satiric thriller about born-again Christians and serial killers.
Feral (Mark H. Young, 2017)
5/10
Frankie (Ira Sachs, 2019)
5.5/10
Semper Fi (Henry Alex Rubin, 2019)
+ 5/10
LA Originals (Estevan Oriol, 2020)
6.5/10

Doc about famous tattoo artist and the man [the director] who captured his work on film.
Coachella: 20 Years in the Desert (Chris Perkel, 2020)
6.5/10
Fugitive Alien (Minoru Kanaya & Kiyosumi Kuzakawa, 1987)
3/10
Tigertail (Alan Yang. 2020)
6/10
Les Misérables (Ladj Ly, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Unscrupulous cop Alexis Manenti tries to keep the peace but the underground poor won't buy it.
Dark Light (Padraig Reynolds, 2019)
5.5/10
Stray Dolls (Sonejuhi Sinha, 2019)
5/10
The Mouth of the Wolf (Pietro Marcello, 2009)
5.5/10
Trolls World Tour (Walt Dohrn, 202o)
6/10

There seems to be a problem between [in this case] the Country Trolls and the Pop Trolls.
In the Trap (Alessio Liguori 2019)
5/10
Sea Fever (Neasa Hardiman, 2019)
5.5/10
Blush AKA Imaginary Order (Debra Eisenstadt, 2019)
5/10
Invisible Life AKA A Vida Invisíve (Karim Aïnouz, 2019)
+ 6/10

In 1950s Brazil. two sisters (Julia Stockler & Carol Duarte) have their dreams shattered by the patriarchal society.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Glory (1989): 8/10

A well-acted and stunningly directed historical film portraying the sacrifice of the first all-black regiment in the American Civil War.

It's a bit melodramatic—especially with Ferris Bueller always looking like he's about to burst into tears—but overall worth watching if you like historical dramas or war films in general. Even if you don't care much about the story you can get something out of the terrific cinematography.

The Apartment - 1960

Trying to catch up on old flicks while this quarantine is going on. So Jack Lemmon was the originator of AirBnb Usually not much into older flicks, I can appreciate them for the time they are made and the mark they made on film. However most of them usually feel like a chore to watch. I usually watch them for the experience then I'm good. This movie surprised me though, it still had it's moments but for the most part felt almost modern. I'd watch this one again down the road. It was tackling some sort of dark issues not many movies were tackling then. Infidelity, suicide, depression. It got sort of dark in some moments which I was very surprised about. Plus I sort of identified with Lemmon's character getting kicked around. I'm sort of a pushover myself. Shirley was awesome in it as well.

I see why this movie is so revered still today. It has a timeless feel to it. As far as older movies go this one I enjoyed a lot. I wasn't looking at how much time I had left in the movie like I usually do with older flicks.

I'd give it about a 3.8 out of 5.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Vera Cruz (1954)

-

I was skeptical as to how stars Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster would mesh. They ended up working well together as each of their differences accentuate the positives of the other. I think the best part of the movie is when they are competing or showing off. Otherwise it's still a rip roaring entertaining kind of a western. Not a great movie but a fun watch.

Sweet Sixteen (1983) - 3/10. The movie barely had 2 murders in it. I zoned out so many times, I don't even know what happened in the middle. And to top it all off, no nudity!

Waste of time.

Welcome to the human race...
Skyfall -

amazing what self-serious nonsense we can forgive if it's shot by the Deak

HOOK
(1991)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

A most peculiar movie. Lead rôle is played by Tilda Swinton’s daughter & she’s a very good actor. Couldn’t make head or tails of the 1st 30 minutes or so, but I guess it got somewhat better.

Amazing thing is there’s gonna be The Souvenir II, which makes absolutely no sense.