The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

I know I liked The Illusionist but I can't really remember it.
You gave it the same rating I did.

The Illusionist (2010)

+

Same director as The Triplets of Belleville, another animated movie that I had similar feelings for. I also noticed Jacques Tati's name on the poster, and I kept thinking of a couple of his movies while watching this one, and sure enough, there's a movie reference within. I think it's just the sense of humor I'm not a fan of. The characters and story didn't do much to make me care, and I think I could have used some dialogue. However, I very much appreciated a different style of animated film from most other's I've seen. It also looks fantastic and I loved the settings.

Hmm. You guys both talk about the film's "sense of humor" but I really can't recall any humor in it at all. It's been a little while since I watched it, but I remember it as a heartbreaking drama, not a comedy.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I hated The Fifth Element

I also didn’t love the Illusionist (I remember choosing The Lion King over it in my animated tournament, to MV’s chagrin). But I get the love, and if nothing else the animation is stunning.

Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich 1973)

My kind of movie! I'm a big fan of Peter Bogdanovich, who himself was a big fan of Orson Welles, and well, Welles was big!..and he was a mentor to Bogdanovich and gave him a few tips during shooting of Paper Moon. It was Orson who suggested shooting in black & white, which wasn't unfamiliar to Bogdanovich having done The Last Picture Show in b&w in 1971. I love the choice of b&w for Paper Moon as it makes every scene seem like it was shot back in the 1930s depression era.

I love to watch the background and the set pieces while watching the characters too. The small midwest town shooting locations looked straight out of the 1930s, so much so that I felt I had traveled back in time. I'm impressed that pre-shooting location scouting turned up sections of town that looked unchanged from the 30s.

And I loved that the story in this comedy-drama was not to silly or over the top. The script strikes a good balance between drama, comedy and light heartiness, while still having serious tension. The film stays focused on the 'love-hate' relationship between Addy (Tatum O'Neal) and Mosses (Ryan O'Neal). Of course it's well known that Tatum is Ryan's daughter in real life and that Tatum won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at 10 years old, the youngest Oscar winner ever.

Bogdanovich doesn't leave a lot of loose strings in film making, no wonder he had so many critical acclaimed and popular movies to his credit. Happy to have watched this!

Like you said, it's your kind of movie, so I would've been shocked if you didn't enjoy it. Pretty sure I recommended it to you years ago in your DVD Queue Suggestions thread. I think Paper Moon is one of the most charming, delightful movies ever made. It was an easy recommendation for you as soon as I saw that it wasn't checked off your lists.

Like you said, it's your kind of movie, so I would've been shocked if you didn't enjoy it. Pretty sure I recommended it to you years ago in your DVD Queue Suggestions thread. I think Paper Moon is one of the most charming, delightful movies ever made. It was an easy recommendation for you as soon as I saw that it wasn't checked off your lists.
Had I joined, it would have been a race to nominate this for CR (also, he'd most definitely would have guessed it had been my nomination). It's a great film which I almost nominated for the 21st but went with the more controversial option instead.

Good choice. I had thought that you picked Oldboy for me, that must be Cricket's choice for me then.

Good choice. I had thought that you picked Oldboy for me, that must be Cricket's choice for me then.
Whoever picked Oldboy doesn't know your taste very well. I personally find Oldboy very overrated. It's a good movie, but there's a lot of South Korean revenge-thrillers that I think are superior; yet people often slobber over Oldboy as if it's the best thing the country has produced.

The trick is not minding
Whoever picked Oldboy doesn't know your taste very well. I personally find Oldboy very overrated. It's a good movie, but there's a lot of South Korean revenge-thrillers that I think are superior; yet people often slobber over Oldboy as if it's the best thing the country has produced.
I don’t think it’s the best thing ever produced but I certainly think it’s amazing bf and among the best.

I agree based on the one time I watched it but I'm anxious to see it again.

The trick is not minding
I will also say I’m open to other suggestions for comparisons. I only got into South Korean Cinema last year and I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.
Toss me some examples that you think may be better.

Paper Moon (Peter Bogdanovich 1973)

My kind of movie! I'm a big fan of Peter Bogdanovich, who himself was a big fan of Orson Welles, and well, Welles was big!..and he was a mentor to Bogdanovich and gave him a few tips during shooting of Paper Moon. It was Orson who suggested shooting in black & white, which wasn't unfamiliar to Bogdanovich having done The Last Picture Show in b&w in 1971. I love the choice of b&w for Paper Moon as it makes every scene seem like it was shot back in the 1930s depression era.

I love to watch the background and the set pieces while watching the characters too. The small midwest town shooting locations looked straight out of the 1930s, so much so that I felt I had traveled back in time. I'm impressed that pre-shooting location scouting turned up sections of town that looked unchanged from the 30s.

And I loved that the story in this comedy-drama was not to silly or over the top. The script strikes a good balance between drama, comedy and light heartiness, while still having serious tension. The film stays focused on the 'love-hate' relationship between Addy (Tatum O'Neal) and Mosses (Ryan O'Neal). Of course it's well known that Tatum is Ryan's daughter in real life and that Tatum won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at 10 years old, the youngest Oscar winner ever.

Bogdanovich doesn't leave a lot of loose strings in film making, no wonder he had so many critical acclaimed and popular movies to his credit. Happy to have watched this!

I loved that film, and thought about it for weeks after it came out. Great set pieces, and the "Paper Moon" song and other music from the '30s really made one appreciate the era.

But it was Madeline Kahn's performance that knocked me out. I loved her in What's Up Doc, and this role really took her over the top. I know she was nominated for an Oscar, but don't recall if she won.

Just a great film from Peter Bogdanovich.

I loved that film, and thought about it for weeks after it came out. Great set pieces, and the "Paper Moon" song and other music from the '30s really made one appreciate the era.

But it was Madeline Kahn's performance that knocked me out. I loved her in What's Up Doc, and this role really took her over the top. I know she was nominated for an Oscar, but don't recall if she won.

Just a great film from Peter Bogdanovich.
Yes! the 1930s music score really added a lot to the film. Loved Madeline Kahn in What's Up Doc but wasn't really interested in her character in Paper Moon. I was happy when she left the story so we could get back to the two main principals.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
@Hey Fredrick I nominated Princess Mononoke for you...why? Why not.

@Wyldesyde19 I was responsible for Groundhog Day. I wrote my thoughts on it earlier, one of my favourite comedies.

@Siddon Rango was me, I surprised myself with how many animated films I nominated for people. Rango is a film that feels left out of the conversation because it's not Disney or Dreamworks....it's really well done in my opinion and Depp does well in the lead role.

@ahwell The Thing baby!!! T'WAS ME!!!!! Too good of a movie.

Suspect's Reviews

@Hey Fredrick I nominated Princess Mononoke for you...why? Why not.

@Wyldesyde19 I was responsible for Groundhog Day. I wrote my thoughts on it earlier, one of my favourite comedies.

@Siddon Rango was me, I surprised myself with how many animated films I nominated for people. Rango is a film that feels left out of the conversation because it's not Disney or Dreamworks....it's really well done in my opinion and Depp does well in the lead role.

@ahwell The Thing baby!!! T'WAS ME!!!!! Too good of a movie.
Nice!! Thanks it was awesome.

Mulholland Drive (2001)

Well...I kinda, sorta, liked it...I guess. Then again, I'm not really sure. I guess it's closer to the truth to say there was stuff I liked about it and other stuff that I thought should've been left on the editing room floor. Soon as the movie was over and it seemed to go on and on and on...I thought, 'I so needed to be the executive producer of this film so I could edit out a bunch of non-related scenes and shorten the film down to 2 hours.'

It was all the 'nonsensical' scenes (that's what I call them anyway) that got in the way of an otherwise really well told story. Did we really need the boogie man behind Dennys restaurant (or whatever it was called) scaring the guy to death? Did we need that scene in the Spanish theater? Same with the cowboy and the old man behind the glass wall, I'd like to cut all that right out of the picture. But I guess Lynch fans eat that stuff for breakfast...then they create their own theories as to what it was all about. But I don't view stories like this as 'real' I think of it from a production standpoint, so to me it was like Lynch included some non story related scenes to make us think things are really deep.

But there's lots to like too. Naomi Watts scored points with me. My favorite scene in the movie was her auditioning for a movie role in a crowded room. I've heard actors talk about doing auditions like that and geez that would be very intimidating. I loved how when she read her lines with Chad Everett the scene was one long continuous take, no edits until they were done reading their lines. Very impressive acting from her. Chad Everett wasn't bad either. I liked the guy who played the director, he looked and acted like a director. And I liked how the film focused on the two women. The camera shots usually flattered them to the nth degree, almost like they were on David Lynch's personal pedestal.

I can't say I'm a fan, but glad to have watched it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	b23c975d-6900-4eb6-aab9-5a5c70307c5a.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	62766