Coronavirus

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Also, U.S. citizens: That "tax day" bit is for PAYMENT only. You still must FILE your return by April 15.

Also also... the reason for the shutdowns is that people will NOT self-police in this situation. My husband was working out-of-state from March 1 through yesterday. (It's been weird going through this alone.) He told me that, where he was working, some guy was in Italy a few weeks ago, and he was worried about getting stuck there. So... what did he do?

He rented a car and drove up into France and then, I think, Germany, where he got a flight to Mexico, then Canada, then drove a rental car from there back to Ohio. So everyone there was warned about him once they found out! So now here's my husband home... with me... Ugh! I need to find out how many degrees of separation there were between him and this guy.

And, my best friend's daughter is headed BACK to the E.R. right now. She went yesterday, presenting with all symptoms, and they had no swabs to test her but said they were pretty sure she has it, then sent her home. But today her temp is higher and she is having more trouble breathing. And she has other breathing issues, so back they go. (If you are a praying person, please pray for her.)

Once it starts hitting home (and it will for each of us), it's a lot easier to shelter in place voluntarily. You know, while the other rude, selfish idiots continue to expose people.

I think the viewing of the movie CONTAGION should be required right now. It'll at least remind people of how this stuff gets out of hand.

Portugal is since yesterday on state of emergency. Recent news say we are going to be in quarantine.
Yet earlier this month you were telling us that Portugal doesn’t give a ****. Your neighbor is Spain, which is hard-hit, so I never understood what you were saying about Portugal.

Also, this virus is just one of hundreds floating around in animals. If we don't learn from this and start preparing by studying animal viruses. We will be right back here when the next one jumps species.
Let’s not blame animals, for heaven’s sake. This all started in China’s live animal markets where animals, including stolen pets, were brutally mistreated & abused. Dead animals, stressed animals, frightened animals - a breeding ground for disease. If any good comes out of this, live animal markets will be banned forever in Asia.

I should point out that the photo depicts Tesco, a British supermarket.

I'm glad you said this! The world, and especially the U.S. needs to tell China flat out, NO MORE LIVE ANIMAL MARKETS, or NO MORE IMPORTS FROM CHINA.
Exactly.

50 packs of AA batteries each
Never can understand why people buy batteries in bulk. Yes, we need them, but in bulk?

I think the viewing of the movie CONTAGION should be required right now. It'll at least remind people of how this stuff gets out of hand.
Done & dusted. Didn’t even know I own this on dvd. Terrific movie. Prescient.

“I was cured, all right!”
My town is going to go full lockdown next week even without a single confirmed case of coronavirus. "It's a precaution" the mayor sayed; it's the right thing to do now imo. Walking on streets this morning, I felt like Tom Cruise in the beginning of Vanilla Sky.

My dad and I manage a very small foundry, we are concerned about taxes, since things are stopped. Nobody buying (that include us). Let's see what happens. Going to watch a lot of stuff and play a lot of games next week. Stay safe everyone.

All this hysteria is getting me worried about medical supplies.

A month ago, I ordered a box of 400 alcohol prep pads from Amazon for about $10. I just checked and the equivalent amount is now going to cost about $50 with a delivery date sometime in May.

As a diabetic on insulin this is very worrying. I'll have to see if I can get wipes or the alcohol itself through work, since the stores certainly don't have any.

On Ebay Some person was trying to sale 8 boxes or barilla spaghetti for 49 dollers. People are trying take advantage of other peoples panic. Its disgusting to raise prices as well. If people needed a break its now when people are dying

Also, U.S. citizens: That "tax day" bit is for PAYMENT only. You still must FILE your return by April 15.
It's important that we all have accurate info right now.
Based on what I heard & read this morning: the FILING deadline date for taxes has been extended to July 15th.

Let me know if I'm missing something...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/polit...-15/index.html

Me and My Mom never get tax forms because a attorney who helped us get pensions said they only need turn in taxes if have a small job or had been working and didnt report it. Cant they just send out information form to have an idea who gets Stimulus or IDK I get a Gov check for social security use that information

Me and My Mom never get tax forms because a attorney who helped us get pensions said they only need turn in taxes if have a small job or had been working and didnt report it. Cant they just send out information form to have an idea who gets Stimulus or IDK I get a Gov check for social security use that information
Not to go off topic... but there was an episode of Adam Ruins Everything about taxes.
They posited the idea that the government has already done your last year's taxes BEFORE you send your claim in (then they only compare them for discrpencies to see if you're trying to cheat). The show said other countries do the same, but instead of making citizen's file, their govs just send them either a bill or a refund!

(Don't know how this idea works for people who itemize, though).

My mom had tax prep scheduled at a senior center, but first had to postpone after she fell and was injured a month ago - then the senior center called to say they were cancelling all appointments indefinitely due to the virus.

On Ebay Some person was trying to sale 8 boxes or barilla spaghetti for 49 dollers.
I only found out this week that eBay actually sells food items. I did not know this. I was looking to buy my granola online since Whole Foods sold out & was pleasantly surprised to find it on eBay for a reasonable price. 6 cartons will arrive tomorrow.

You ready? You look ready.
Let’s not blame animals, for heaven’s sake. This all started in China’s live animal markets where animals, including stolen pets, were brutally mistreated & abused. Dead animals, stressed animals, frightened animals - a breeding ground for disease. If any good comes out of this, live animal markets will be banned forever in Asia.
Oh I am so going to blame animals. Try and stop me!

Seriously, bats are just rats with wings.

And keep in mind that the Ebola virus that ravaged Africa was spread by bats that just happened to be nesting in the same households as humans. No live animal market, no animal brutality, and no dead/stressed/frightened animals. Just a bat chilling in the same area as humans.

I am legit serious. We need to be better prepared for viruses jumping from animals to humans. We continue to encroach on their habits and pay them no mind when we do. This is Mother Earth's way of humbling us.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The ban if any will be temporary.

Apparently they banned the sale of the meat of exotic creatures like Tigers, peacocks etc after the last SARS outbreak, only to withdraw the ban few months later, by slyly calling the sale of their meat and bones as unique medicines.

It's a huge billion dollar market, that feeds the government and hence has a strong lobbying power over the government.

Unless the entire world comes together and forces China to reform their wet markets, we will see such outbreaks at least once every decade.

The good thing is that there is a sizeable amount of Chinese population that also wants to reform those market. But at the very same time, we know how easily China suppresses any kind of opposition.

⬆️ I do hate bats. In fact, they terrify me. There is NOTHING WORSE than a bat inside my house. And it inevitably happens when husband is away & I have to deal with the situation. Ugh.

So I went and got tested at a local drive up area that recently opened up. First little background:

My wife and I went to New Orleans for our anniversary back on the weekend of the 7th. Things were not quite so crazy at that time and we already had everything paid for so at that time we did not think about canceling.

We stayed until the 9th making it a total of 3 nights 4 days. On the 8th we were part of a timeshare presentation for Club Wyndham. We knew we were not going to buy but sitting in on the presentation allowed us to pay only $129 for our whole weekend for the Resort we stayed in. During this presentation we were in a relatively small room with people from all over the world. The presentation took about 3 hours and we got our gift and left. Fast forward to the following Friday, the 13th . My throat started to hurt and I had a slight cough. The next day I woke up with a fever of 104 and feeling pretty bad. I got it to go down, but it came back so I went to the hospital when it hit 104.9. I was pretty much out of it and my wife helped me get there. Ultimately I was diagnosed with the flu and did a breathing treatment and went home. They did not think I should be tested for COVID. They gave me tamilflu , no idea if this helped because I still felt like crap, but maybe it would have been worse - not sure. I was pretty much stuck to my bedroom for the next three days and then finally got my appetite back and I binge watched the first season of Gotham.

Everything seemed pretty good at that point , but the breathing issues have yet to go away completely. Then my wife got sick yesterday. A slight fever and a cough. She made a drs appoint for this morning but woke up feeling great and canceled it and went to work (she is working from home right now due to the virus). She kept trying to talk me into going to get tested but I could never get through to the prescreen number and you are not allowed to just show up. She finally got through this morning after a number of tries and brought me the phone and I was prescreened. They asked me the following:

Do I have or had I had a fever recently (yes)
Have I traveled outside the U.S. in the last 14 days: (no)
Do I have difficulty breathing (yes, but not too bad).
Have I been in contact with someone known to have the virus (not to my knowledge).
That was it and she said I do not qualify to test. I told her about the flu and she said to see my primary care dr. I then told her about being in New Orleans and she paused for a moment and had me hold. After about 10 minutes she came back (I had thought she forgot about me). She immediately said I should be tested and I should go now. I did.

It was an interesting experience. There must have been over 50 staff all milling around in their masks and gloves and there was one cop there just hanging out. They guided me in and never checked my ID but they did get my name and birthday to double check me in the system. I rolled down my window and they shoved a swab up my nose very ungentle like, gave me paperwork and sent me home warning that I am now quarantined and I should have my results withing 5 days.

So here I am at home not planning on going anywhere, not that I was anyway.

I guess New Orleans is a hot spot, but I do not remember seeing that on the news. Anyone have an idea? I am sure if I have or had it I am recovered mostly at this point so I am not too worried about getting very sick and the wife and son seem like they are currently fine.

I am just grateful I was able to get a test, once they think you need to be tested they are all gun ho, beforehand they brush you off pretty easily. I will be glad when more testing becomes available because I know many can spread it and be asymptomatic.

I hope everyone stays safe and does the best they can at not spreading this thing.

In other news before I got quarantined I did find TP at BJs the other day and I only took 1 package..

The ban if any will be temporary.

Apparently they banned the sale of the meat of exotic creatures like Tigers, peacocks etc after the last SARS outbreak, only to withdraw the ban few months later, by slyly calling the sale of their meat and bones as unique medicines.

It's a huge billion dollar market, that feeds the government and hence has a strong lobbying power over the government.

Unless the entire world comes together and forces China to reform their wet markets, we will see such outbreaks at least once every decade.

The good thing is that there is a sizeable amount of Chinese population that also wants to reform those market. But at the very same time, we know how easily China suppresses any kind of opposition.
Sadly, you speak the truth. I don’t expect China to have learned anything from this virus tragedy & no doubt everything will be as before. I saw one photo of a baby deer for sale sitting in a crate. So frickin sad.