Most awesome movies involving Moms

Tools    

Throw Momma From the Train
Serial Mom
The Orphanage

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

National Velvet (1944) involves the dream of young Velvet Brown (Elizabeth Taylor) to have a horse of her own. Through some good luck and storytelling magic, this dream comes true, but then a series of circumstances lead her to an even bigger dream: to have her horse entered in England's Grand National horserace. Velvet's mom (Anne Revere) once had a similar dream and does everything to help her daughter attain her own. My wife and I often call Mrs. Brown "the Perfect Mother".

Carrie! The mom in that film was wild.

Long before she became "Ma Kettle" on the screen, Marjorie Main got my vote for Mother-of-the-Century with her small but sweet role as the mother of Bogart's "Baby Face" Martin in Dead End (1937). Martin risks his life by coming back to his old neighborhood just to see his ma, and she smacks him in the face and says, "I wish you'd never been born." Yet when Martin later goes down in a gunfight with the cops, his mother screams in anquish at the death of her boy.

Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. That's the mom-next-door I always hoped for when I was a teenager!

Put me in your pocket...
Great choices so far.

I'd like to add...

The Joy Luck Club (1993)
Four mother/daughter relationship stories rolled into one touching movie. Each relationship is different and equally as moving as each mother and daughter come to understand each other.

Light in the Piazza (1962)
Olivia de Havilland is perfect as a very protective yet nurturing mother of her mentally young daughter. That line of when to protect and when to let go...especially when your child has a challenge...speaks to me.

Pride and Prejudice (1940)
Mary Boland is a real hoot as poor Mrs Bennet with five daughter's to marry off. The other versions don't display the mother quite as well as this version. She's wonderfully over-dramatic without being annoying...very likeable and funny.

YES!

"Momma always said that life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Psycho

Norman Bates: A boy's best friend is his mother.

So many good movies, so little time.
Mildred Pierce (1945) - Mildred Pierce
Imitation of Life (1959) - Lora Meredith and Annie Johnson
White Heat (1949) - Ma Jarrett
Stella Dallas (1937) - Stella Dallas

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i cannot believe no one has said ''stepmom'' with julia roberts and susan serandon or fried green tomatoes.....

i would add nicole kidman in my life.... she played a wife and then mother of a man who had terminal cancer and took care of him to the end

I really like Albert Brooks' Mother (1996).

Not Albert's funniest movie, though it does have some big laughs ("It tastes exactly like an orange foot"). It is a nice examination of a mother as a real person. Brooks plays a writer about to go through his second divorce and decides that, if he's going to figure out his own relationships with women, perhaps he should reexamine how he and his mom interact? She's played by Debbie Reynolds, and what he learns during his extended stay with her is that she is a much more interesting woman than he ever realized, not just his silly ol' Mom, but a person with dreams and desires of her own, sides of herself that she either put on hold while raising the family or simply kept as her own.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i cannot believe no one has said ''stepmom'' with julia roberts and susan serandon or fried green tomatoes.....

i would add nicole kidman in my life.... she played a wife and then mother of a man who had terminal cancer and took care of him to the end

Good choices with Stepmom and Fried Green Tomatoes.... I've never seen In My Life... but the mention of Nicole Kidman made me think about the Mom she played in The Others....

I've never seen Albert Brooks' Mother... but I've always liked Debbie Reynolds... so am adding it to my too see list...