Oscars to expand Best Picture noms to 10.

Tools    

...The Best film of the last Oscars was The Dark Knight, and everyone knows it.

Most overrated film of the year? That Oscar would've been a one horse (or should that be, bat?) race.

Not to try and threadjack or anything, but am I the only one that thinks the Academy is full of SH*T anyway? I almost NEVER agree with their Best Picture choice. They get off on being different WAAAAY too much. Also, I think the awards are rigged to honor only one type of film. That independentish, slow, long drama such as The Pianist and Doubt. (im not hating on those films they are just examples) The Best film of the last Oscars was The Dark Knight, and everyone knows it.
Doubt was far superior to The Dark Knight...the only brilliant thing about that movie was *is* Heath Ledger...the man was simple electrifying...the rest of the movie was overly long, annoying, and boring. and wtf is up with Christian Bale? He's such a bit.ch.

[quote=LeRollingStone;548836]...the only brilliant thing about that movie was *is* Heath Ledger...the man was simple electrifying...QUOTE]

Really? Am I the only person who thought that Aaron Eckhart was the best thing in that film? My biggest argument against Ledger winning the Oscar was that he wasn't even the best Supporting Actor in the film, let alone of that year.

Of course, Eckhart didn't die, so I know why he didn't win. I'm just wondering if I'm alone here in thinking that Eckhart was better.

Saw a news item just this week that I meant to clip and relay all the facts to this forum on the grounds that it sounded something similar to the Academy's plans to change its award system. As I remember it, the item said some TV award was going to increase the number of nominees and drop its current combo selection process by viewers plus a panel of TV industry members, and just have the general public vote the winners. The explanation given was that industry members were voting for (and awarding) primarily series and shows on cable (sort of like independent productions) and shutting out some of the most popular programs on the three main commercial stations!

Like with the movies, the most popular and profitable programs don't necessarily win awards.